Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ok so here goes nothing! (1 Viewer)

somedewd

Hello everybody! So i'm brand-spanking-new, not only to this forum but also to the whole writing thing, never really written anything besides in school when i actually had to :D But in the recent couple years, i've had some ideas in my head and i've wanted to give them some sort of an outlet and writing seemed to be the easiest way. Emphasis on the word "seemed" because even though i've actually started something it's waaay too early to tell wether it's going to actually become something or not, it's a dark, gritty crime thriller and currently it's only three paragraphs long but we'll see. So, as the title suggests, here goes nothing and thanks for having me! :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome! I belonged to several writing/author forums before finding my way here, in my opinion this is the best out there.

Are you kidding? We love having you, new writers are delicious! (Your fault, you inspired me with the dark and gritty crime stuff)

Bring your nothing and we'll see if it can turn into something. And in the meantime if you want to hit the (prose writer's) gym you can check this out and jump in: Literary Maneuvers: May, Writer's Choice.

Come on in and get to know the community. We don't bite...honest.

😈
My wife is half Indonesian... and of course, being the sensitive guy that I am I tease her about being related to cannibals... and her reply is to pinch my gut and say that I'm just about ready to go into the pot.

I asked her to put together a cook book (how to server man?) - using regular recipes but substituting human mean in the instructions - and pass it on to our daughters. She doesn't see the humor in it.

Steve_Rivers

We all started the same way, Dewd, so we all know how you feel. Best advice I can give you is to always remember that it's a constant learning curve, for everyone. We're never the finished article as writers, all we do is (hopefully) get better as the days go on. So never beat yourself up over mistakes or the times you feel you're tripping up.

And yeah - dark and gritty crime, right up my alley. So I'm another that will always clamp his eyes on anything you post.

Welcome to the forums!

somedewd

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and welcomes! I've made a little bit progress on what i started, i think i should say that the more specific type of the story i'm working on is that it's a "serial killer" crime type of story, thought i'd mention it just in case :D I'd also like to know if there's any good free programs for writing a book, i've currently got all my writing on a simple "word pad rich document", when i started this i just wrote on whatever i had at hand so to speak but i'd like to have something more "purpose built" if you will.. Any suggestions..?

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Welcome dewd. I'm pretty new here myself, to writing as well. I have a first draft but still lots to do.

Remember, the journey can be just as enjoyable as the destination, sometimes more so.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I am new too and newer to writing. I did some creative writing as a young teen for an outlet for ideas but now I am thinking about doing it seriously. Would you be interested in sharing what you have so far?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and welcomes! I've made a little bit progress on what i started, i think i should say that the more specific type of the story i'm working on is that it's a "serial killer" crime type of story, thought i'd mention it just in case :D I'd also like to know if there's any good free programs for writing a book, i've currently got all my writing on a simple "word pad rich document", when i started this i just wrote on whatever i had at hand so to speak but i'd like to have something more "purpose built" if you will.. Any suggestions..?
Personally, I use google docs. They have good templates if you wanna have an idea dumb or a basic outline. I also like it because I can quickly make comments/notes to the side about what I wrote for future editing ect

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Use what you’re comfortable with.
I use MS Word and Excel, and have added Grammerly (free version) to Word. I think the tools we use are less important than the writing process we create for ourselves, and that takes time and practice to put in place.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Personally, I use google docs. They have good templates if you wanna have an idea dumb or a basic outline. I also like it because I can quickly make comments/notes to the side about what I wrote for future editing ect
Really? I use google docs too. Where do you find those templates for outlines?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Really? I use google docs too. Where do you find those templates for outlines?
When I pull up my docs they are right next to the blank document and there is a template gallery. I used "lesson plan" as a guide to organizing some ideas. Do you use a laptop or something else?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
When I pull up my docs they are right next to the blank document and there is a template gallery. I used "lesson plan" as a guide to organizing some ideas. Do you use a laptop or something else?
Yes, a laptop. I have seen those templates and used them for resumes, invoices, and things like that. I never thought about using them for writing fiction. I will check out the lesson plan...thanks!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
When I pull up my docs they are right next to the blank document and there is a template gallery. I used "lesson plan" as a guide to organizing some ideas.

So I had a look at the "lesson plan" template. Btw...there is also a "pet resume" template, in case anyone was looking for one. :)

Interestingly enough, I have used a lot of these types of things for technical writing but never thought about using them for fiction. It's a great idea! Many of us writers are also very visual so having a visually pleasing outline to start with could help the creative process. And it's free!

For my current WIP, I started with long hand-scribbles and a three-ring binder, then graduated to a pegboard, a Google chart, and Excel to work out the details. I'm about 75% complete, so for now I will put my energy into getting it done, but I will definitely think about using one of the Google templates next time. I like the organic process of creating something that's my own, but I have not liked the way mine looks, so that would be a big improvement.

Some people use professional writers' organizational tools. Here are a couple of good threads that discuss the pros and cons.

vranger posted about Scrivener:

Foxee posted about Scapple:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
So I had a look at the "lesson plan" template. Btw...there is also a "pet resume" template, in case anyone was looking for one. :)

Interestingly enough, I have used a lot of these types of things for technical writing but never thought about using them for fiction. It's a great idea! Many of us writers are also very visual so having a visually pleasing outline to start with could help the creative process. And it's free!

For my current WIP, I started with long hand-scribbles and a three-ring binder, then graduated to a pegboard, a Google chart, and Excel to work out the details. I'm about 75% complete, so for now I will put my energy into getting it done, but I will definitely think about using one of the Google templates next time. I like the organic process of creating something that's my own, but I have not liked the way mine looks, so that would be a big improvement.

Some people use professional writers' organizational tools. Here are a couple of good threads that discuss the pros and cons.

vranger posted about Scrivener:

Foxee posted about Scapple:

I have heard about scrivener and heard great things about it. I can see myself getting the program later in my writing journey. I am content with google docs for now starting out. You seem more of an outliner than a discovery writer. I am more of a pantser/plantser but I do need to learn how to organize myself better. I am glad my little suggest helped! It's easier to organize when you have sections already laid out for you.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have heard about scrivener and heard great things about it. I can see myself getting the program later in my writing journey. I am content with google docs for now starting out. You seem more of an outliner than a discovery writer. I am more of a pantser/plantser but I do need to learn how to organize myself better. I am glad my little suggest helped! It's easier to organize when you have sections already laid out for you.
Yes, The OP, somedewd was looking for free programs. (Sorry moderators - I went off-topic). So, your suggestion is perfect!