Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Oh, Ender's Game. How I love you. (1 Viewer)

Mr Sci Fi

Did you just read it in class?

Ender's Game is one of my favorite works, but I'm sorry to say that I just can't get into the rest of the series. Although I've heard the Bean saga is rather good, and considering the movie is tying both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, I'd better read it.

Nah, the first time I read the whole thing was when I was like twelve. I've read it about thirty million times since then.
Card is the absolute master of making his characters undeniably human.

Have you ever read Speaker For The Dead? It is also pretty excellent, though not quite so excellent as Ender's Game.

Also: My favorite joke

battle_room.png

Heh heh heh.

I can't remember. =/

Speaker makes me cry a whole lot in parts so it must be good. Not Ender's Game good, but definitely worth reading.
A lot of it is about what people thousands of years later perceive Ender as.

They say something like how the original Speaker was the best human being who ever lived, but Ender the Xenocide was the worst.
That *killed* me.

Mr Sci Fi

Well it started with a Family Tree and then the rather bland prologue concerning Portugese colonization of Lusitania.(sp?)

Then it went off to the native children playing and doing summersaults and what not in what could have fooled me as an After-School Special blurb. I just couldn't get through the rest.

Although I've read all the notes and such on SFTD, Xenocide and Children of the Mind, so I have a pretty good idea of what happens.

I just think Card got a little carried away, as Ender's Game ended perfectly. Just the scene alone where the buggers recreate the giant and the playground got to me enough. I think that spoke wonders.

Yeahhhhhhhhh :] The buggers were awesome.

I usually just skim the lame stuff like that, yeah. Just enough to make sure I know what it's about.

I'm reading Xenocide right now, though, and I'm pretty sure there is no way you can get all the bizarre complexities and stuff in it without having actually read it. Card is a seriously weird dude. He created a religion that seems like it's almost based on OCD and basically believes that everything going on has to be the "will of the Gods" so they can't even question it.

Also it seems like he was getting a whole lot of irony out of his system when he wrote it.

Users who are viewing this thread