Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

of fear and writing??? (1 Viewer)

kunox

I may not be writing because I have a fear of people judging my work.... not just on a simple level but on a cancel culture level. I realized this when I had the same problem writing as I do watching makeup tutorials. any advice on what I should do. I am kind of curious to how you would get over this. I know I published so many books for someone that still has this fear... posibly. I accredit that to the dunning kruger effect.

Lawless

It's a very big problem for me. In my writings, I inevitably open my soul to potential ridicule. Especially some people who can't create try to compensate by criticizing other people's works. (Hasn't happened on this site!)

One annoying thing is when a haughty jerk tells me how I have to change this or that as if I was a schoolboy and he was my teacher. Makes me think twice about letting people see anything.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
The problem if I am honest is a disability. I am dyslexic. I can relate. I also write with mistakes. People have thought I have dysgraphia. I can relate again. But you need make sure you can produce work that can be read in the first few drafts and this happens with me too. I tend to make many drafts. I think we need a forum for people with disabilities or working on English and prose as themightyaz suggested. You misspell words, and you need help with fixing that. Dictation and speech to text can help. I know you are on a tight budget. Keep writing and don't be afraid. I can provide feedback. But however be aware that your mistakes need to be fixed by educating yourself on grammatical issues, and more things we on the forum have spotted in your writing. The same would apply to me apparently. I bought books, and have assistive technology. My mistakes might be because I am bilingual and did not get an early or effective English education in narration. I recommend you not be scared and that you write. But all I can do to help is provide feedback. The mistakes could be because you need to educate yourself and need educational technology such as assistive technology. I try to help. I am no expert. I research myself. I know you have a good attitude. Try anything you can to overcome your grammatical weaknesses.

I have been using immersive reader when in the writing process lately and I am liking it more. The added character spacing helps people with dyslexia. I advocate using prowriting aid or Grammarly. I advocate dictation if for some reason you need extra help spelling. But you need to know the composition process. In two weeks I should have my books. We will see how I do.

I believe when people give feedback they volunteer time that cannot be gotten back. If they have writing inadequacies that don't make that a point worth considering. It's better than nothing at all. It is aimed to help.

kunox

will be buying one of your books next month.??? I bought some makeup this month... results in the picture below... I my get a $50 raise.. then maybe I can have a hier allowance... at age 37 nontheless

Attachments

• 243224790_1013076222812936_3378155506623812153_n.jpg
    243224790_1013076222812936_3378155506623812153_n.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 10

kunox

lets just say 1 or 2 books you suggested to me next month... and I still need to buy makeup in person but the month after more books... so I will keep you informed.. I promised you I'd get better.. so I will I just gots to figure out how to juggle multiple priorities...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I suggest if you cannot afford dragon. To simply wait 2 weeks or 3. I will have the books in 2 weeks. I will consult them and even share writing exercises. If you like the exercises and feel they give you a way to structure your paragraphs and sentences. Then you can decide if it is for you. A microphone can work on a website. Speechtexter does what dragon does for free but is less accurate. It doesn't work in word. I used a Jabra biz 2400 USB duo II. I don't know how accurate it was. But I managed to dictate 1000 words. It still had mistakes. But it needed to be corrected by be going to the keyboard and deleting it. I plan on getting prowriting aid and not Grammarly next time. In Christmas things are cheaper. Prowriting aid costs 50-60 dollars during Christmas. Jabra is not bad for the money but there are better microphones. You could research the microphones.

I have 2 brothers. What I do is ask them for 100 dollars as a gift card every Christmas. Jabra biz USB DUO II is dirt cheap and durable. I wish I could recommend a headset that is durable and sturdy, inexpensive, and accurate. I also have another microphone which I mentioned. On my birthday I ask for 100 dollars from them again. I don't work either which less than 10% or less of schizophrenics work. (I also get 90 exactly to keep me occupied)

For your family ask them for gift cards if possible during Christmas. Stack their values especially if your birthday is nearby.

Do research on what can be done. I did research but what will work for me isn't going to be a panacea for everyone who has problems that are similar to my own.

Research the best value and cheapest microphone you can buy that is a headset. It needs a 5-star rating from dragon speaking. That might be a good indication that it is an excellent headset. Google for the list.

I understand you have your needs. Wait until I get the books (to make sure your money is well spent). I hope these are useful. I have a collection of books that are not useful. I am trying to help you. I know how tough it is to live with mental illness. I wish all the best to those who have the same sickness, and I hope you can find some self-gratification from writing. It is a challenge but not impossible.

I am trying to find a solution for myself. If I do, then I can try to help you when I recommend the books and give feedback.

Search for dragon certified headsets for dictation. The good thing about prowriting aid is if you write a long sentence it will detect it which is useful after you finish dictation.

Last edited:

kunox

ty so far.. I will try to compile gift cards.. I will wait to see what the writing exercises are like... ty.. that helps mew out alot...

kunox

Gone out in public like this... Only 2 people really had a problem but I haven't really had to deal with them yet.

kunox

here it is.... lol.. my in public pic...

Attachments

• 244422494_385353389806014_8984006300329562374_n.jpg
    244422494_385353389806014_8984006300329562374_n.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2