Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Oct/Nov is a tough time to get a book self-published! (1 Viewer)

Mikeyboy_esq

I've spent the last 2 months self-publishing my next book (to be launched on Dec. 1st). This one has taken longer than it normally does b/c this is such a busy time of the year for the publishing industry (editors, cover designers, graphic designers, editorial reviewers, etc.) as everyone is rushing to get their new books on the market in time for the Christmas holiday season. If I had started the process a few months earlier, it would not have taken so long to self-publish.

NOTE TO SELF: If at all possible, don't publish my next book in Oct - Nov!

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
I just published one on Oct 24th.
No problem at all.
But then I didn't use all those other people. :)

What's the new book about?
(this is the part where you get to shamelessly promote your book.) :)

Mikeyboy_esq

Ralph,
I thought you'd never ask! LOL It's a book marketing guide based on my journey to sell my first 1,500+ books. There are tons of books in this genre, so it might be tough to compete. But I'm excited about it anyway (just as I am with all of my books).

Getting back on topic for a second, I published my first book in late Oct. (2 years ago) and I don't recall having to wait in line for cover designers, graphic designers (that do the eBook conversion and print book formatting), etc. But I definitely had to wait for those services this time around. I would have preferred to start sooner, but wasn't done writing the book til early October. It's been a struggle to get all the work done in time for my Dec. 1st launch... it will be close, but I'm cautiously optimistic that my book will be available in both formats by Dec. 1st (at least on Amazon... probably not the rest of the sales channels though as it takes longer to get them uploaded into the Ingram Spark retailers like Barnes&Noble). Wish me luck!

Mikeyboy_esq

I usually hire someone to design my covers. This time I used Rob Williams from Ilovemycover dot com. It was my first time to use him and I generally like his design/work... however, he has been slow to respond to my emails sometimes. But he is one of the cheaper ones I found (I spent $310 to design my eBook and ppk cover, plus do 3 mock-ups that I used to post on social media to help me decide which design to choose). That is not a bad price compared to many others.

No, I didn't do pre-orders on this book. Actually, that is not a bad idea, but I was struggling to get my book done in time for the Christmas holiday season and didn't want to delay the actual launch to do the pre-sale stuff. Also, last time I checked I think you have to choose the KDP Select option if you want to do pre-orders on Amazon, and I don't do KDP Select b/c I prefer to distribute my eBooks wide (via Ingram Spark for example). I could still do pre-orders of my books via IS, but again... I didn't want to delay launching my book (you have to upload the files onto IS several weeks in advance to do pre-orders if I recall correctly).

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Naw, you can put a book on presale without joining KU-KOLL.
From a marketing perspective I consider it essential.
Amazon's algorithm floats your book higher in the pile if you have sales on/before release day.
And it's a verrrry deep pile. :(

So, are ya gonna post a link?

Mikeyboy_esq

Thanks for asking... the link to my author website is in my sig and it has the front cover & description of the book. Not quite ready to distribute any links to the Amazon page yet... still trying to finalize the book files and get everything uploaded in time for the Dec. 1st launch (nothing like cutting it close! LOL).

So how are your sales coming along for your new book? My book sales have been brisk in 2018 UNTIL this month (November) when they suddenly slowed down quite a bit (which is not surprising given that sales of my nonfiction books tend to slow down this time of year). I'm hoping the new book launch + the holiday season will increase my total sales in December.

BTW,
I like the cover that you came up with for your new book... looks cool!

Last edited:

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Tanks!
My sales took off for Calizona 3.5 (the double book) and I made about $700 opening month (combining print, ebook, and KU-KOLL revenue), then tapered. The new-new book (the cover you liked) did better than my previous sci-fi works but nowhere near as good as Calizona. I'm still waiting to see how much money it makes on KU-KOLL (kindle unlimited.)

I really need to figure out how to market scifi if I am to continue writing the stuff. I can sell EOW books just fine...but scifi is a nut I have yet to crack.

Mikeyboy_esq

Wow... $700 in the opening month sounds GOOD!

Just curious, what % of your total monthly royalties usually come from KU-KOLL? I'm not in KDP Select/KU, so I have no idea how much authors typically earn from that program. My general sense is that authors who earn significant royalties in KU-KOLL tend to have: a) books with a high page count, and b) several books enrolled in KU-KOLL.

Last edited:

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
I was out of KU for several years, so that figure represents my first full month back in KU-KOLL.
(I made about $50 for the 2 weeks before that)
I have to sit down with a calculator, but I made about $300 on KU Koll during opening month.

However...the sales curve still applies, even in KU-KOLL. Essentially once I put my books in Kindle Unlimited I had very high page rates, like 2000 pages a day. But within a month or two those numbers begin to decline as my book reaches saturation point.

Right now my sales for the month are sitting at a little under $100. That's the thing about sales; they follow a parabolic arc.