Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Nursing Nightmare! (1 Viewer)

keats913

I was leaning forward, after having applied a tourniquet and just put in the jelco for a IV line and to draw some blood on a very nice lady who I had triaged. The family was very appreciative of my paying a bit of extra attention to them and we were bonding nicely. I had just pierced the skin and was hooking up the first of 5 blood tubes when what obviously was postnasal drip decided to go with gravity and I could feel it starting to stream down the back of my nostrils. Oh no...this would not be cool.

Sniffing seemed like the only option...both hands were busy and not a tissue in sight. I tried standing more upright and change position so that gravity would redirect what seemed like a constant stream of a yet unidentifiable liguid. I actually thought I had a nose bleed it was so steady.

A quick prayer went out. Oh please God, don't let it just drip. I pictured that happening several times almost in slow motion and it was frightful.
This lady was now referring to me by name and looking right at me while I drew her blood. I thought of how when you are out shoveling snow and the sinus vs the great outdoors kicks in and your sleeve almost seems like a workable option. Obviously that was unacceptable but a variety of scenarios went through my mind on how to deal with this. I managed to have efficient enough sniffs to keep it under a count that would have them suspect I am a cocaine user in my down time between triaging patients.

OMG...it was horrible. I managed a steady stream of small talk, drew all 5 tubes of blood doing what I had to do and fought off the nightmarishly horrific thoughts of one drip making its way forward and onto the floor, wrapped up operations and in a cool and casual way made my way out the door and dashed to the closest tissue box.

Nursing makes me sick!!

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Lol! Poor you! Sinus drips just don't always cooperate, do they? Glad you managed to make it through such a potentially embarassing situation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread