Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Nurse, photographer, writer, mom, birder.... (1 Viewer)

MommaKat

Hi, all, I'm MommaKat, I grew up with a love of reading, and while I have been writing off and on for a couple decades, I only started writing seriously this year.
I have three kids, two grandkids and one senior cat. I have five birdfeeders on my deck, and several squirrels who think the food is for them...NOT. I also enjoy photography which provides me some inspiration in my writing.
Besides the novel, I have a few other projects that demand to be let out every so often. I write about my job, creating vignettes of patients, staff and situations. It hasn't coalesced into something else yet.
I am struggling a little with my current writing, one of the MC has decided he doesn't need any rescuing so I have to change his backstory, and they both are demanding I learn some Gaelic, since that is where they are insisting they are from.
Pleased to meet you all!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Welcome to our community. Momma. I'm sure you'll find us a friendly and supportive group.

I also find inspiration through photography especially when trying to write poetry.
I am struggling a little with my current writing, one of the MC has decided he doesn't need any rescuing so I have to change his backstory, and they both are demanding I learn some Gaelic, since that is where they are insisting they are from.

IT's surprising how bossy our MC can be, especially when you are trying to write dialogue. They have a mind of their own.

You mention you love reading. What genres do you prefer?

MommaKat

@PiP Oh, geez. Currently on my reading list ...Diana Gabaldon, Janet Chapman, a book on Scottish history, one on paganism, and one called "Heart: A History"
Oh, yeah, and also my test guide for getting my PCCN certificaiton...

NajaNoir

Hello,

I share your love of photography. Especially when it contributes to writing. Also agree that the MC can be so frustratingly stubborn at times. We are their medium and that's that. It's strange to take a backseat to them, but sometimes we must.

Welcome to the forums. See you around.

PS. I think it's really neat that you learning Gaelic for them.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
My characters do exactly what I tell them to do! If they don't, I hold my finger over 'delete'. That tends to keep them in check. Welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Welcome, and, as for ...and several squirrels who think the food is for them...NOT... Chilli powder mixed with the bird-feed, most squirrels don't like it, and birds can't taste it.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi, all, I'm MommaKat, I grew up with a love of reading, and while I have been writing off and on for a couple decades, I only started writing seriously this year.
I have three kids, two grandkids and one senior cat. I have five birdfeeders on my deck, and several squirrels who think the food is for them...NOT. I also enjoy photography which provides me some inspiration in my writing.
Besides the novel, I have a few other projects that demand to be let out every so often. I write about my job, creating vignettes of patients, staff and situations. It hasn't coalesced into something else yet.
Pleased to meet you all!
HI - gosh, you sound a lot like my wife... except she sets food out for the birds, AND squirrels, AND rabbits... and we have five cats - hint, don't volunteer at a animal rescue center because you'll end up taking the hard luck cases home with you, and you'll fall in love with them.

I've traveled extensively in Ireland, and 20+ years ago I took a language course in Glencolmcille - Co. Donegal. Wonderful place and a great immersive way to learn the language. I've forgotten it all though... oh, except I can say good morning, order a beer, and (oddly) ask where the post office is. Gaelic spelling is a frigging disaster though - NO PHONICS - nothing is spelled the way it sounds... AND words and even people's names are spelled differently depending on the sound of the worlds around them.

Anyway - WELCOME! This is a great place and we're all glad you're here.

MommaKat

Welcome, and, as for ...and several squirrels who think the food is for them...NOT... Chilli powder mixed with the bird-feed, most squirrels don't like it, and birds can't taste it.
these guys are pretty bold. I'll have to buy a bulk container. They try to get to it, and spill it out all over the deck.