Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Not sure how to start this novel (1 Viewer)

Joker

I've written a vague, one-page outline for The Black Label, and some other associated plot and character helpers. Now I want to move on to writing a thorough, scene-by-scene outline so I don't get writer's block.

There isn't any big action set piece to get the plot rolling, Corrit simply gets a client in his office, they hash out terms, and that's that. I'm not sure if starting right then and there is a very good idea, though. I feel the reader would be lost given this is a far future setting and the characters are aliens. But if I open the novel with something unrelated to establish the protagonist, the reader might feel annoyed at the lack of relevance to the plot. A real Gordian knot.

Anyone got a knife?

robertn51

Friends of WF
One thing that has helped me so much is to remember: Novels are rarely written in the order in which they are finally read.

So @bdcharles advice is solid. You start somewhere. And I will add: Start somewhere interesting to you. The more juice the better. Momentum.

You can decide later where you want the reader to start. You might not know that yet. The story will tell you.

Also: So many interesting detective stories started with the client coming to the detective's office. And nobody complained. Kind of expected. A perfect setup, actually, everyone discovering who, what, and how everyone is, reader included. Might be great for aliens, too?

Also also: Is this your Sci-Fi Detective story once mentioned? Would you pencil me in for a Beta when you're ready? I've been seriously jonesin' for a space detective since Joe Miller in Leviathan Wakes/The Expanse.

[2021-07-07 1816]

Joker

Also: So many interesting detective stories started with the client coming to the detective's office. And nobody complained. Kind of expected. A perfect setup, actually, everyone discovering who, what, and how everyone is, reader included. Might be great for aliens, too?

Also also: Is this your Sci-Fi Detective story once mentioned? Would you pencil me in for a Beta when you're ready? I've been seriously jonesin' for a space detective since Joe Miller in Leviathan Wakes/The Expanse.

[2021-07-07 1816]

Hmm. Corrit used to be a border guard in the Empire before defecting, while his client is a well-to-do, de facto aristocratic business owner. There's going to be a lot of tension I could go on and on about, but Corrit is the only vespian private eye for miles, and Velnick doesn't trust humans. When Velnick offers to pull strings and have his black label (read: denaturalization) reversed, that's when Corrit is bought. He's homesick and isn't impressed by his new planet.

I'd be honored. Great show, by the way. Corrit is a lot like Miller, he's even looking for a missing heiress! But Corrit isn't so awkward, a lot more sharp around the edge.