Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Noon (1 Viewer)

Mike in the West

Hi Shirley, nice of you to comment. This particular verse is based on experiences in my garden. When digging in the vegetable patch for potatoes, I unearthed a toad looking just like a potato, slowly it walked away. Until it slowly walked away, the only sign of any movement anywhere was in the throbbing of the toad's heart.

Best wishes
Mike

Shirley S. Bracken

Ha Ha, another gardener! We dug up the last of our potatoes and actually they are re sprouting. We still have lettuce, onions, cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts performing. How big is your garden? I wonder if I could make a poem out of all that?

Mike in the West

The garden I was referring to was one and a quarter acres but we found it was getting too large to manage so tywelve months ago we moved to our current home. Now the garden is still large enough but not a burden anymore. A vegetable poem could scan very well I should think although it might lack a romantic touch, being a it earthy.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi Mike, I've never attempted a haiku, but I truly enjoyed yours. :) Do you favor them, or do you write all types of poems?

Mike in the West

Hello Gumby, it's nice of you to comment on my posts, any feedback is most welcome. I do sometimes write other forms of poetry, but on that point I have a question for you, please. I only met up with this website a few days ago and wonder where most of the people live who post and read here. I am in the UK and various expressions or abbreviations that might be used in poetry might fall flat if they are not understood. Grateful for your advice.

Best wishes
Mike

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
We have a wide variety of countries represented here, and welcome all expressions and the chance to learn what new ones mean. :) Many UK residents here, along with U.S., Australia, Africa, Spain, I hesitate to go on for fear of leaving someone out. Many of us have become familiar with the expressions of different parts of the world. Please don't worry about the meanings being lost on us, if we don't know, we investigate the meanings. :)

Martin

Your explanation brings much to the piece. I wonder if your experience would benefit from more lines. A toad like a potato is a lovely image f.ex. and a shame it's left out I think.

Cindy, you hestitated too soon! I fear you left out my country ;-)