Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

News: Woman to Be Prosecuted for ID Theft After Impersonating Boyfriend on Facebook (1 Viewer)

Scarlett_156

Heh. Interesting article.

Woman to Be Prosecuted for Identity Theft After Impersonating Boyfriend on Facebook

MORRISTOWN, New Jersey – A woman accused of impersonating her boyfriend on a fake Facebook page and posting inflammatory comments can be prosecuted for identity theft, a judge ruled Wednesday in a case that could have wider implications for American cyber-speech.
Dana Thornton was indicted last year on one count of fourth-degree identity theft, a crime punishable by a maximum 18-month prison term upon conviction. Assistant Prosecutor Robert Schwartz said she created the Facebook page using photos and personal information about her ex-boyfriend, a police detective in northern New Jersey, and posted comments purported to be from him.

Here's the article: Woman To Be Prosecuted For Identity Theft After Impersonating Boyfriend On Facebook | Fox News

I know lots of people who have done this or are doing it. A lot of them thing it's only a prank. What do you think?

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
It's theft and should be punished. Getting misleading/untrue information "back" from the internet is like collecting smoke from yesterday's fire.

W

Writ-with-Hand

Seems to me she could be sued for libel as well.

There's no reason to be impersonating others on the internet just to cause harm.

Brendan M

catfish-uk-film-poster.jpg

Well worth the watch.

Offeiriad

This is the first I've ever heard of something like this happening. I've only heard stories of people 1) leaving a (public) computer signed into someone's Facebook account and the next person coming along and typing non-sensical things 2) someone creating a completely fake account to attack someone else or lead them on.

felix

I know that I should feel sympathetic, but I conclude that it's his fault for using such a social networking site.