Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

New World Creation (1 Viewer)

Alfa_tw

Hey,
I’m writing a fantasy book that happens in a world both like and unlike ours. The world map may be similar, but has a lot of differences. Countries are nations, empires, kingdoms. I am looking for names for those same nations that are actually based on the ones we know. I need the equivalent of the following countries.
- Russia
- France
- Spain
- England
- Germany
- Norway
- Greece
- Poland
- Egypt
- Morocco
- South Africa
- India
- China
- Japan
- Indonesia
- Australia
- Canada
- United States
- Mexico

And six oceans that would be the equivalent of:
Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, South Atlantic and North Atlantic Ocean.

I’ll gladly accept anyone’s help!

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Hey,
I’m writing a fantasy book that happens in a world both like and unlike ours. The world map may be similar, but has a lot of differences. Countries are nations, empires, kingdoms. I am looking for names for those same nations that are actually based on the ones we know. I need the equivalent of the following countries.
- Russia
- France
- Spain
- England
- Germany
- Norway
- Greece
- Poland
- Egypt
- Morocco
- South Africa
- India
- China
- Japan
- Indonesia
- Australia
- Canada
- United States
- Mexico

And six oceans that would be the equivalent of:
Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, South Atlantic and North Atlantic Ocean.

I’ll gladly accept anyone’s help!

I always thought it would be cool to (re)name countries with alternates or some derivation of what they call themselves (or used to). For example, why not retitle Britain Albion, or France Gaul, and why not rename places like US or India something based on the names of the regions there: Republic of Bengal, Arapahoe Nation, etc.

I always thought it neat the way Philip Pullman called Russia Muscovy. In any case I guess you have a good wallop of historical research in your future:)