Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

New novel, "Wendigo" (1 Viewer)

WriterJohnB

WF Veterans
WENDIGO is the second novel in the Shadow Fletcher series (the first was WOLFWRAITH.) Shadow, a one-handed, Native American, ex-marine, has recently been assigned as a park ranger at Breaks Interstate Park, on the Virginia/Kentucky border. It's rugged country and is billed as the "Grand Canyon of the South. A young girl goes missing and everyone assumes she just went off the trail, but Shadow senses an ancient, cold, deadly menace. She is not found and the search is eventually called off. But then, in the summer, Shadow finds her bones in a rock cleft. Other children disappear and Shadow follows an odd trail of human, barefoot prints through the snow. He's about to come face-to-face with a Native American spirit, the immortal, cannibalistic Wendigo that soon proves it can outrun, outfight, and outwit the intrepid ranger.
Finalwendigocover.JPG
\

http://www.amazon.com/Wendigo-John-...e=UTF8&qid=1365610474&sr=1-3&keywords=Wendigo

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Nice! Congrats John - I'll be checking this one out, as it seems to be right up my alley. Good luck with it, as well.
Cheers -

Sam

General
Patron
Looks interesting, John, but I wonder about the tagline. From the lore I've read, a wendigo is far too fast and far too good of a hunter to be classed as a zombie. They're usually men who resort to cannibalism during harsh winters with no food: i.e. frontiersmen, native Americans, etcetera. They develop preternatural abilities by eating human flesh, but I believe that's where the similarities with zombies end.

Just a thought I had. I'm sure you've done your research.

moderan

WF Veterans
Yeah. The zombie thing is what I have trouble with too. I'm real familiar with the legendry and with Blackwood, August Derleth, et al, who have treated with the wendigo myth. There are offshoots of the legends which say that wendigo may be humans assuming a different shape, and of course they're always hungry because they don't absorb any nutrition from their "sustenance", but the mindless shambler from six feet under doesn't parse, to my way of thinking.
I say this with all due respect. I'm sure John has ample justification within his text, but it's just not for me. I can't do anymore zombie anything.

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
I think the cover is very effective, John, and should market well. Your protagonist sounds unique and interesting. Good luck and keep us posted on how it does.

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
Like the cover. This really isn't my cup of tea, but I still wish you all the luck.

WriterJohnB

WF Veterans
Yes, I realize there are differences between zombies and wendigoes. This one is actually a North Carolina (Cherokee) native-american who travels north, goes cannibal, dies and comes back to his homeland. Yes, wendigoes are fast, but just like zombies, they are risen from the dead and eat flesh (or brains). I was never quite sure whether to use that subtitle, but I'm hoping it will lure a potential reader into looking into the story beyond the cover.

Rustgold

Zombie is the word everybody knows and has morphed into a generic catch-cry for most undead; and much like the word morphed itself, most people will understand the word for something it's not. Zombie is the correct word for the average reader, even if it's technically incorrect. People simply relate to the word zombie, which is why it's used; why make things difficult for yourself with terminology on the cover which nobody knows about?

And on technical incorrectness, even those saying this is technically incorrect are being incorrect with their own definitions of a zombie (according to the original [late 19th century] use of the word).