Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

New Author Here (1 Viewer)

Hello,
My name is Spencer. I title my thread "new author" but I'm not really new. I've been writing for a long time, just nothing serious. This year I would like to finish a couple stories that have been floating around my head for a long time.

My mom was an author and published a couple books. I grew up proofreading her books with her and writing my own very short stories.

I'm excited to join this forum and hope, with some help, I can get a couple novels done this year.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: PiP

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm looking forward to seeing your work. If your mother was published and she let you proof read, I'm certain you'll have lots to offer this forum both in terms of stories and critiques. I'll provide you with a list of 20 pieces I'd like you to go through ... keep it easy for you to begin with eh ... ?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PiP

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hi Spencer! Don't mind Az, he might have some blood in his caffeine stream, I'm not sure.

Proofreading your mom's manuscripts sounds like a great way to start out, that would have been great training.

I admire your ambition. What kinds of stories do you like to write?

Glad you found WF!

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hi Spencer! Don't mind Az, he might have some blood in his caffeine stream, I'm not sure.

Proofreading your mom's manuscripts sounds like a great way to start out, that would have been great training.

I admire your ambition. What kinds of stories do you like to write?

Glad you found WF!

giphy.gif

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've been writing my first novel, which by the way is a huge undertaking, so kudos for wanting to start.

This forum had been incredible for me. Everything from writing techniques, voice, genres, length, publishing, marketing....you name it, we talk about it here. And there are many, very accomplished writers here who are very knowledgeable and supportive. They will drag you up by your bootstraps if you wish to quit!

Welcome and have fun!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
*looks up guiltily from handful of various bootstraps attached to suffering writers*

I write fiction stories, varied topics. The couple I'm working on are mystery adventures. One of them could turn into a series like The Hardy Boys or Dirk Pitt.

Thanks Taylor. That's kind of what I need lol. I get on a roll but then after a bit the roll starts to go away and it takes a while for me to get back into it. Having some accountability from some writing drill sergeants ;) is just what I need.

druid12000

Hi and welcome from another newbie!

I'm in the same boat as you, writing for a long while but never taking it too seriously.

This seems to be a good place to maybe jumpstart the ol' engine and get it purring like a kitten.