Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Need Your Opinions on Cover Design (1 Viewer)

Mikeyboy_esq

Which cover design do you like best and why?

Which Cover Do You Prefer_03312020-1.jpg

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
B.
Strong typographic image (easiest to read of the three).
Title big and at the top (where everyone looks first).
Strong, unambiguous photo.
Strong, warm, overall colors.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I like C, with B a close second. C seems a little different, more cool and "designer"-ish, whereas B, while decent, makes me think of generic travel books. For me, A is too gamer-ish and cartoony, or something a 15-year-old boy might like.

I would drop the Esq. though, quite frankly even if you are landed gentry or a practitioner of law. It's the sort of pretentious guff people tried on in the 80s if they couldn't hack it as a hedge fund manager. Sorry! I would also consider a hyphen between father and son.

B.
Strong typographic image (easiest to read of the three).
Title big and at the top (where everyone looks first).
Strong, unambiguous photo.
Strong, warm, overall colors.

Did you design it sigmadog? It really looks like what I know of your stuff :)

Fiender

I'm gonna chime in with the rest of the crowd and say B. C is second, and A trails behind (no pun intended) as a distant third.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
The middle one.

The first one will not thumbnail well because the title color is too light.
The third one will be too cluttered when thumbnailed.

The middle one stands out at any size, is legible, and the picture speaks to the nature of the story.

Mikeyboy_esq

I would drop the Esq. though, quite frankly even if you are landed gentry or a practitioner of law. It's the sort of pretentious guff people tried on in the 80s if they couldn't hack it as a hedge fund manager. Sorry! I would also consider a hyphen between father and son.

Thanks for the feedback. For what it's worth, you are not the first person to suggest that I drop esquire in my author name. In any case, I have used esq. as part of my author name for all of my prior (nonfiction) books and don't care to change it now. Thanks again.

Sir-KP

I like all three. They are good in their own way:

A. Fun, humorous

B. Neutral feel. Picture stands out more than text, bringing up the off-road, countryside, adventurous ambient

C. Looking serious. Giving mysterious, tactical vibe

Which one fits your story more?

K.S. Crooks

I like the middle one because it clearly shows me what type of racing is being discussed. I like the third cover if your book is a crime story involving off-road racing. It has a forensic feel to me.

MistWolf

At first glance, B

After reading the "A Father & Son's Journey", subtitle, A (the people in the SxS now become "father and son")

C isn't even a consideration. C would only work if it were a map

If fiction, A

If nonfiction, use an actual photo of the father & son team with their SxS. A photo similar to B of their actual SxS with father & son visible would be best

ScifiWriter

I like the far left one but it needs to have the font color changed to orange. Your cover needs to shout your genre.
Your cover needs to make the reader want to see more, not less.
The middle one is too busy and the right one is definitely out. Your name is way too small on all of them.
They all need more contrast.
JMHO