Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

need help with what i read (1 Viewer)

aspire

hi. i have just gotten into reading fantasy books (harry potter were my first series, my inspiration) but every time i get a book i find it to complicated to understand wats going on. is there a certain way to read fantasy.

and

could you list some beginners fantasy novels for me (ones easier to read).

thanks

-------------
/jm/

Vixen

Eragon

Stones in the River (i hope that was the name)

Sometimes, the names in fanatsy series trip me up, it doesn't hurt to have a bookmark list of character names, with important events jotted on the back....

Also, try Spiderwick cronicles, and for some action, Artemis Fowl

aspire

actually i have read eragon and loved it but that was the last book that i understood properly
maybe i have to be hooked on it before i can understand it and enjoy it
when is the second book to eragon going to come out???

anyway please keep listing

Ryushi

Artemis Fowl Definatly. Err what else?

These are all only loose fantasy

Strazaganza: City of masks/city of stars --????
The weirdstone of Brisingamen --Alan Garner
Mr Monday, Grim Tuesday etc-- Garth Nix

These are all the easy Fantasy books i can think of right now.

Ben M

Ryushi

And I may be wrong but i think The guy who wrote eragon has only recently started the second book.

Is Eragon Good? My library doesn't have it and the hardback is about £15 is it worth it?

Ben M

~*little_minx*~

is (the little L sign)15 a lot of money? anyways i thought Artemis Fowl was rather boring, but i read the sequel too so i obviously didnt HATE it. um i notice you live in Sydney, so have you read the Tomorrow Series? they are GREAT! (and australian) but they start off a bit slow. but GREAT!
kay and i dunno if you can get this in aus, coz i got it in NZ, but The Wind On Fire series is also GREAT! the first one is called The Wind Singer. oh and the named and the dark are my absolute favourite, you should try them... they are really good fantasy books! but, um how old are you, coz yeah the named and the dark are not as easy.
wow thats a lot! i love fantasy too. try some of them! BYE!

~*little_minx*~

how could you forget the Wind on Fire series?! they are great! oh and i just thought of another good series... in the blood and blood moon. yeah they were good too, very very fantasy! and there this book "holes" oh that was great, its light reading too. hehe theres so many!!!

Creative_Insanity

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "easy". How old are you and what's the hardest book you've ever read? I'll try to tailor a good fantasy booklist for you.

Ryushi

~*little minx*~ i would hardly call "holes" fantasy. more like real life streched a bit.

It is a really good read though

Ben M

A

Akiko

I have just started reading Eragon myself, and so far I find it very interesting. :)

~*little_minx*~

oh yeah i suppose so Ryushi, but it was close enough to fantasy. what with onions that cure people... and as if people would just eat an onion like an apple - YUCK! but yeah...

aspire

ok im 16 ,yes haha, but i just started reading full on this year, first all kinds of books then i got into fantasy. Probably eragon or david eddings (belgareth i forgot the name) are the hardest for me. so yeah that is it
thanks

and yes i would recommend Eragon to anyone who has not read it. i liked so might you.

Talia_Brie

I always think of the first Dragonlance series as a "beginners guide to fantasy". Maraget Weis and Tracey Hickman.

~*little_minx*~

ooooh haha i thought you were younger, im 16 too but yeah, read the tomorrow series they are soooo good! and the named, and the dark!!! the best! hehe you have lots of reading to do! what is Eragon about???

asdar

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger books are great. They don't get too complicated but are enjoyable all the way through.

The Narnia books might be good too or maybe The Shanarra books. I started with the Sword of Shanarra by Terry Brooks.

I just read a good series from Trudi Canavan that's in the whole magic school theme and was pretty good.

Some lighter books might be Pratchett or Anthony. I liked a couple of the Xanth books.

Talia_Brie

asdar said:
I just read a good series from Trudi Canavan that's in the whole magic school theme and was pretty good.

Trudi Canavan is another food Australian author, and if you're looking for something else Australian you could try Dave Luckett, Tenebran Trilogy. I didn't think they were terribly good, but easy and patriotic to read. :D

aspire

ok right now im reading ender's game and i think its great, i'm halfway through it and been reading for two days its pretty good for me.
eragon is about eragon a boy who finds a dragon egg it hatches names the dragon saphira... big quest...big battle...next book story continues. You have to read it to appreciate it

~*little_minx*~

cool for you, with reading, and being half way thro and everything...
a dragon egg... hmm well i will have to read it, not that i am really into dragons and all... but hey.