Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Need help with cover design (1 Viewer)

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
Okay, I'm struggling to decide with of these fonts I should use. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Feedback on the overall design is also welcomed. :)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I like the second one a lot better. However, if you're looking for a mystical or creepy vibe, either one, you might want to keep examining fonts.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
The second.

I recommend tightening the kerning and the leading, that way you can enlarge it a bit and it will read better. Also, try darkening up "SPEAR" ever so slightly. It gets a bit lost in the white background. You can get away with a little variation in color because visually the white background makes "SPEAR" appear lighter than "HEAVEN'S".

My opinion. YMMV

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
Thanks for the input! I was heavily leaning towards the 2nd, but really needed some more opinions for confidence.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I prefer the second simply because the font is more 'genre'. That said, part of me wanted more 'darkness' (I've made some genre assumptions based on the tagline); as it is, it looks a bit too 'happy' for me. Pinterest has some good example covers to give some ideas: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/amberargyle/fantasy-book-covers/. Take a look at Cinzel, Yana, Vectis fonts. And ... I'm about to cost you hours of your life if you're ready ... check out https://www.glyphrstudio.com/. Let's just say I'm glad I've got a bit of time off coming up.:)

Cover design is hell; a lot of people really don't hold back on what they think. Then I thought I could gimp something together (waves at Steve) but realise there's a lot more to it.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
I was think there's another element I need to add, but haven't figured out what it could be.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Steve_Rivers

As Taylor says, much better. There's far less "dead space" now, the image looks like it has been filled up with your name and the title.

My only suggestion is to put an edge highlight on the Heaven's Spear text. The reason I suggest that is the colour of the text when it gets to her neck with the V and E is too close to the same hue of her neck. The shadow behind it only helps stop the bottom right of the text merging with her neck, not the top left of it. If you don't know what I mean specifically, here's a link to a youtube guide on book cover text that gets the point across..

Hope it helps, Tett!