Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Nate Gallon (1 Viewer)

Nate Gallon

It's a pseudonym, and I'm passionate about truth. Whatever is solemn and earnest I try to capture with what I write. This is not a persona I've adopted for the sake of exploration; Pah! I slight the thought. I am here to spread my kindred spirit!

That was just my Bandini impression; My name is Ethan. I grew up in Bakersfield, California; I hadn't read a book for pleasure until after high school; I'm twenty-one years of age and I write in the same way man enjoys finding and/or producing a message in a bottle; It's either that I write out of great despair, or in delight that a person may find solace.

I do, however, try to avoid writing escapist material that is, in my understanding, to be made for the sake of sanctuary. I have a bad habit of attempting to do this, and I would like to change my style to a more painful view on life in order to help people feel less alone; In order to help people relate instead of becoming distracted by the suffering of life through a work of fiction. I want my work to do the opposite of distract, and I don't care who sees it, as long as I've said something that I meant.

I have no particular ambition for my writing that I can see myself. As of right now, I only write to tell my truth, but lack the goal that makes it a career; That i s not in my desire as far as I could see; Maybe you can see it.

Anyways, I, at the very least, hope to encounter a motley crew of writers and poets in my time spent on this page who can make each other feel as though they are a part of some thing.

Cheers, solemnly,
Ethan Monge

Last edited:
Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Anyways, I, at the very least, hope to encounter a motley crew of writers and poets in my time spent on this page who can make each other feel as though they are a part of some thing.

Cheers, solemnly,
Ethan Monge

Hi Ethan, welcome to WF. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home :) Do you write poetry and fiction?

Nate Gallon

I try to write a semblance of each of those, but I'm mainly just someone who enjoys to read the classics like Salinger, Russian Existentialism, Camus, Bukowski, Fante; I enjoy casual material. My desire to write usually stems from biopics about artists or literary figures/eras I find myself akin to.

Tiamat

Patron
Hey Ethan, and welcome! Your Bandini impression made me laugh, so thanks for that!

I would like to change my style to a more painful view on life in order to help people feel less alone; In order to help people relate instead of becoming distracted by the suffering of life through a work of fiction.
This is an interesting approach, and I love that you have a big picture goal like that. Hope to see some of your work around the boards. :)

clark

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
Ethan -- welcome to WF kid! And that last is descriptive, not judgmental. I'm an old guy, so anyone your age is so far in my past I have to struggle to remember what I was into at 21. The usual, I suppose; given that, I'm impressed with your dedication to writing. And the search for truth. The truth of a moment, captured in the right words? Excellent! The search for the abiding Truth of all that is? I remember Pilate's famous exit situation: "What is Truth?" said jesting Pilate, and would not wait for an answer." Smart dude. The hallmark of a poet is that as a person before and during the act of writing, s/he is prepared to expose their vulnerability. That takes balls. That willingness may or may not apply to fiction, where the possibility of aesthetic distance between character/situation can be sooooooo great, depending on the writer, that vulnerability may not apply. One is hard-pressed to find much of the inner Henry James in a Henry James novel. At any rate, my new young friend, I very much look forward to reading your stuff. My single cautionary note is a heads up! on an apparent contradiction between your stated goal to help your readers feel "less alone", and your stated desire for independence: "I don't care who sees it, as long as I've said something that I meant." My thoughts on that omnipresent issue (expressed in my usual elegant prose): fuck the audience. Write what you need to write, the way you need to write it. An audience will fall into place. Or not. When told that Paradise Lost ​was just too dense with biblical references for most readers, Milton shrugged and said, "I write for fit audience, though few."