Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NASA News Conference today 11/30/2010 regarding astrobiology (1 Viewer)

Scarlett_156

NASA means National Aeronautics and Space Administration; it's a US govt department that oversees space exploration and travel.

NASA issued this news conference announcement: NASA - NASA Sets News Conference on Astrobiology Discovery; Science Journal Has Embargoed Details Until 2 p.m. EST On Dec. 2

It's very possible that there will be an announcement of life found in some other part of the solar system than here on Earth.

Not surprising--I figured it would happen sooner or later, given the kinds of things the robots are finding on the Moon and Mars.

caelum

Astronomer
lol, I just heard this and logged in with the intention of starting a thread. Very, very interesting. Something I read said they found an ice meteorite, believed to be from Saturn's moon Enceladus, with frozen microbes in the middle. But that may be some confusion, because there's a separate press-release right now, as in not NASA, relating to that.

NASA's release probably won't be extraterrestrial life discovered, but something more boring like another Earth-twin planet discovered that could host life. Who knows, maybe they got a clear picture of a planet in our galaxy with green continents.

RoundEye

C'mon. We all saw ET. We already know what they look like. So what's the big deal?

I wonder what the baby would look like if one of those female astronauts was pregnant and stayed in space the entire duration of the pregnancy.

:alien:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Who knows, maybe they got a clear picture of a planet in our galaxy with green continents.
I know, they didn't, such a picture would be a physical impossibility at the distances involved. Observations of planetery systems around other stars are not direct observations, they are observations of the effect of the planets on those stars. Unless, of course, ET brought the pictures with him.

Ever read "Stranger in a strange land" Roundeye? Something a bit along those lines, and a good enough book I bought it for my daughter's birthday.

JosephB

I think is the big announcement. Apparently, they found some organism here on earth that can survive in arsenic. I guess the implication is, that there are life forms that can survive in environments that are different than what we've thought were needed to sustain life -- or something like that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/02/nasa-announcement-live-ne_n_791166.html

Not too exciting, so I'm not phoning home yet.

(PS -- It was Reeses Pieces.)

Oh -- here's another big announcement:

http://www.examiner.com/astronomy-in-cleveland/300-sextillion-stars-major-nasa-announcement-about-alien-life-today

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
(Thanks, that had gone down the memory hole.)

I thought that we already knew of organisms that live in hostile environments? Oh well, we can keep hoping for more.

JosephB

Yeah -- like in boiling thermal vents or something. I guess arsenic is even more hostile.

I think NASA might grasping at straws -- trying to whip up enthusiasm and justify their existence.

Scarlett_156

Yeah it was algae that can survive (though they will not grow) in a medium of arsenic.

Lol--oh well, that was anticlimactic, huh? Still pretty cool though.

caelum

Astronomer
NASA's official statement

The microbes aren't just living in arsenic. They replace part of their DNA with it, as well their proteins and cell membranes. The arsenic takes the place of phosphorus, which along with carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and sulfur, are the building blocks of life (quoting the article). Not quite extraterrestrial life, but still a pretty extraordinary finding.

Scarlett_156

Personally, I find it extremely exciting, but again--I was hoping that some sort of superhero fungus had karate-chopped a Rover and was holding it for ransom or something.

I'm sure everyone will be relieved to find out that arsenic is STILL quite toxic to most earthly life forms! :D (I was!)

Cambyses

NASA's official statement

The microbes aren't just living in arsenic. They replace part of their DNA with it, as well their proteins and cell membranes. The arsenic takes the place of phosphorus, which along with carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and sulfur, are the building blocks of life (quoting the article). Not quite extraterrestrial life, but still a pretty extraordinary finding.

That is actually quite amazing. The phosphorous is what links the four different acids together in the double-helix shaped DNA chain. I know that doesn't sound as cool as extraterrestrial life but it has some profound implications.

B

Baron

I'm still waiting for news that intelligent life has been discovered on Earth. It gets so lonely being the only one.

RoundEye

If you two are the only intellegent ones, then we really are in trouble.

That reminds me of that movie Idiocracy

rotfl.gif

Last edited: