Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Narrator Nate, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

S

]]sam[[

[Continued from a previous post.]

ACT 1
SCENE 3

(The five searchers are walking along the street, talking about the ‘quest’.)

CHARMING #3
Soooo, where are we supposed to start looking for this treasure?

NATE
I’m still working on that plan, he said.

CHARMING #1
Oh well, great as long as you’re working on a plan, then there’s nothing to worry about, right? (Sarcastic)

CHARMING #4
Don’t worry about him; he just gets cranky if he misses tea-time. Do you have any ideas to help figure out where these books are?

NATE
Actually, Number 4, I do. The king said he had the chest buried, right? So he would have to have had tools to do that, which makes me think that we need to stop in at the local hardware store.

CHARMING #2
Good thing it’s just in front of us.

(They enter through the sliding doors)

DOPEY

Welcome to the 7 Dwarves’ Depot. We’re prepared to help you with any hardware needs to may have. If you have any questions, please head over to the help desk.

NATE
Thanks, he said.
(To the Charmings)
Let’s go.
(They walk through the store, passing paint samples and supplies)

CHARMING #3
D’you think I should repaint the den?

CHARMING #2
Oh, yes! A lovely shade of maroon perhaps? Ooo, or maybe this shade of green? (Looks at the name) Forestry Delight, it says. Marvellous.

CHARMING #1
Oy! Can we focus just a little, boys?

CHARMING #2 & 3
Right.

(Arriving at the help desk)

NATE
Good afternoon, my good man, he said.

DOC
How can I help you gentlemen today?

NATE
We were wondering if you could track any past purchases made in your store, he said.

(Doc looks sceptical)

CHARMING #4
(Pulls out a badge)
It’s royal business.

DOC
(Smiling)
Anything for the king. What would you like me to look up?

NATE
We were wondering if the King has ever purchased anything in here… urm… ever, he said.

DOC
The king said?

NATE
No, I said, he said.

DOC
Whatever. Let me just look in the database.
(Turns and type a whole lot of stuff into a computer, and thirty seconds later he turns back to Nate)
It appears that his Royal Highness has only purchased one thing from us in the past, quite a long time ago too.

CHARMING #3
What was it? (Anxiously)

DOC

The services of one of our employees, Happy, to go to the woods and bury something. Top Secret stuff I suppose. (Chuckles)

NATE
Could we talk to Happy? He said with excitement.

DOC
(Hesitating)
You can always try, but this ‘cloud of gloom’ and ‘absence of happiness’ situation has really been rough on the dwarf. He doesn’t talk much at all.

CHARMING #1

(Sighs)
Great. (Sarcastic/ Defeated)

NATE
I’d like to try and talk to him anyways, he said.

DOC
Sure thing. I’ll go get him.
(Exits into a back room)

CHARMING #3
Do you really think this’ll help at all?

NATE
We’ll see soon enough, he said.
(Doc returns with Happy)

HAPPY
You wanted to talk to me? (Gloomy)

NATE
Yes, thank you for seeing us, Mr. Happy. We were told that you buried something for the king a number of years ago. Could you give us any details about the whereabouts of that location? He asked.

HAPPY
It’s been such a long time. All I remember is going into the Spook Forest to bury something. I don’t remember what it was or where exactly I buried it anymore.

CHARMING #4
Nothing at all? No footstep count? No ‘X’ marks the spot? No longitude and latitude values for the GPS?

HAPPY
Ah… no.

NATE
Thanks anyway, he said (Defeated).
(Turns to the Charmings)
We should start the search soon, before it starts to get dark. It’s going to be a long one, he said.
(They all walk out of the store hanging their heads slightly.)

ACT 1

SCENE 4

(Gathered by the entrance of the forest, the five group members are looking into the maze of trees.)

CHARMING #2
Whoa. That is a lot of forest.

CHARMING #4
Where do we start?

NATE
From the outside in, he said.

CHARMINGS
(Groan)
(As the day grows darker and darker, the group just keeps digging holes and finding nothing at all)

NATE
(Wipes sweat off of his forehead)
Phew. I’m starting to think that these books are gone for good. We’ve been digging for hours and we haven’t even found as much a bottle cap, he sighed.

CHARMING #3
I can’t even dig straight, I’ve been thinking so long!

CHARMING #1
Every muscle in my body aches. I’m definitely in need of a hot tub.

NATE
(Walks over and sits on a rock, puts his head in his hands)
What kind of a narrator am I, if I have no stories for my audiences? I promised them a happy ending and now it looks like the ‘cloud of gloom’ has defeated me too, he said.
(The Charmings look from at each other, unsure what to say.)

CHARMING #4
How ‘bout we take a break for today, get something to eat and start again tomorrow?

NATE
I guess, he said.

CHARMING #1
The good news is we walked so far into the forest we seem to have come out the other side, conveniently across the road from Ye Olde Locall Foode Stoppe. (Weakly smiling.) Let’s go chaps.
(They enter the diner.)

RAPUNZEL
Seat yourself down anywhere you like fellas; I’ll be by in a minute.
(They all squeeze into a booth and open up the menus)
(Happy the dwarf, who is sitting at the counter, notices them and turns around to talk.)

HAPPY

You guys look exhausted. Did you manage to find the whatever-it-was you were looking for?

CHARMING #1

(Sarcastically.)

Oh yeah, took no time at all. We had a great time in the middle of the biggest, darkest forest in the kingdom.
(Throws Happy a withering stare)

HAPPY
(Not picking up on the sarcasm)
Really? That’s great! I would have never have guessed anyone would look under that Weeping Willow by the pond.
(Turns around again, not realizing what he said.)
(All five of the searchers whip their heads around when Happy reveals this fact.)

NATE
What did you just say?! He exclaimed.

HAPPY
Who, me?

CHARMING #3
Yes, you!

CHARMING #2
Could it be?

NATE
I think it’s true! Boys we need to go find that willow!

(All five jump out of the booth and run back towards the forest.)

ACT 1
SCENE 5

(Underneath the big willow tree, the boys are digging furiously)

CHARMING #4
Who would have thought such a short dwarf would have buried this chest so deep in the ground?

CHARMING #2
That’s just the wonderful mystique of fairytale life isn’t?
(Nate’s shovel hits something hard in the ground)

NATE
Did you hear that clang? He said.

CHARMING #3
I’d say it’s more of a thunk, myself.

CHARMING #1
Nope, it was a definite metallic reverberation.

NATE
(Sighs tiredly)
It doesn’t matter what it was exactly, just that there’s something there, he said!
(They uncover the chest and all take hold of it.)

NATE
On the count of three, lift it up out of the hole, he said. One… Two… Threeeee!
(Through moans and groans, the five of them manage to heave it up and out of the hole. The climb out and survey the chest)

CHARMING #2
It’s magnificent!

CHARMING #3
Open it, open it!

NATE
But isn’t it locked? He said.

CHARMING #1
Nah, the cheap lock my father bought disintegrated, go ahead and open ‘er up!
(Nate opens up the lid and sees a glowing collection of storybooks)

CHARMING #2
Read an ending quick!
(Nate picks up the first book he sees and flips to the back page.)

NATE
(Opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted)

CHARMING #4
Wait! Use this megaphone so the whole town can hear!

CHARMING #1
You carry around a megaphone?

CHARMING #4
Shhh. Not now.

NATE
(Clears his throat.)
And they all lived happily ever after, he said! (Pause.) The End.
(POOF! The group is transported to a church, where each brother now had a princess as a bride, and the king stood at the front of the church.)

NATE
What happened? He said. Where are we?

KING
After reading that happy ending, the kingdom was returned to normal! Each of my princes has saved and married a young princess, the sun has returned and I can smile again!
(Crowd gathered in church cheers.)

KING

I couldn’t have done it without you Nate. And to reward you I am giving you the official key to the Happily Ever Afterville library, so you can read stories anywhere, anytime!

NATE
Thank you so much Your Royal Highness Sir! I’m just glad that everyone can be happy again, he said.
(Crowd cheers some more, but eventually dies down, leaving everyone in silence and looking around confused.)

CHARMING #3
(Loudly whispering to Nate.)
Aren’t you forgetting something?

NATE
Oh, right!
(Pauses to compose himself)

He said, and they all lived happily ever after. The End.