Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NaNoWriMo (1 Viewer)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
So I'm thinking about participating in Nano next month 😱 Earlier this year when I first heard about writing 50,000 words in a month, I was like heck nah, no way...now I'm still like heck nah no way lol But I know people use it for other writing goals and not just writing a novel in a month. Since July I've been considering using Nano to help with a project. What project? well, I wasn't for sure. I've done a couple of outlines of some ideas but I usually pants my stories. Problem with pantsing-I don't have a goal to look at, I don't know the exact ending and where I'm at to meet said ending. Everything is subject to change. Things get jumbles pretty quickly.
I want to outline this month and build on ideas before starting. I want to write a 3 part story. Not a novel but longer than my little short stories. Not sure what my full goal with Nano will be, daily word count? Finish the first part of the short? finish all 3? I suppose I have time to figure it out. But to complete a longer piece...I really think I need an outline of some sort.
Do you participate in NaNoWriMo? Do you use the standard 50,000 words in a month or do you have your own goals?

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I've participated and completed Nano twice. the first time in 2012 and possibly 2019/2020. It was great fun but hard work. Committing to 1666 words a day does not sound much but if you get behind ....
We have a forum dedicated to NaNo. I was lucky to find some writing buddies and we encouraged each other through the pain.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've participated and completed Nano twice. the first time in 2012 and possibly 2019/2020. It was great fun but hard work. Committing to 1666 words a day does not sound much but if you get behind ....
We have a forum dedicated to NaNo. I was lucky to find some writing buddies and we encouraged each other through the pain.
Thanks. I saw the thread but I wouldn't be participating in the typical "50,000" words in one month. I wanted to use that month to set my own kind of goals so I didn't know if anything I'd want to post would be "relevant" in that thread or not? Close to 2,000 words a day does sound super hard. (To me) I can hardly do 500 at times...
Lol

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I get in plenty of words in the course of a year any more, but 50K in November is bad timing for me. There's too much going on around Thanksgiving, our anniversary, and the Hallmark Christmas movies have started up! LOL (But don't worry, PiP, Poet Lariat will still get first priority!)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Thanks. I saw the thread but I wouldn't be participating in the typical "50,000" words in one month. I wanted to use that month to set my own kind of goals so I didn't know if anything I'd want to post would be "relevant" in that thread or not? Close to 2,000 words a day does sound super hard. (To me) I can hardly do 500 at times...
Lol
When I completed NaNo it was not the quality it was more the quantity and discipline of writing every day. I now know I CAN do it. I am now aiming for quality, not quantity but NaNo and NaPo gave me the discipline. I allocate about 3-4 hours a day every day.

So if you want to set up a challenge to encourage other members to commit to writing a minimum of 500 words EVERY day for a month. Go for it :) WF can have its own challenge in November.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
When I completed NaNo it was not the quality it was more the quantity and discipline of writing every day. I now know I CAN do it. I am now aiming for quality, not quantity but NaNo and NaPo gave me the discipline. I allocate about 3-4 hours a day every day.

So if you want to set up a challenge to encourage other members to commit to writing a minimum of 500 words EVERY day for a month. Go for it :) WF can have its own challenge in November.
I haven't written everyday for a month but I did write 73,000 words in five months. it was basically 73,000 of hot garbage but I can get myself to right pretty consistently at least. Yeah If I had to write 50,000 words in a month God only knows how that story would turn out. 😆
I've been focusing on the quality of work lately more so than quantity so 500 seems much more do-able.

Not sure what my personal challenge will be for November. I bet if I made that a challenge for all of WF, (500 words everyday) I wouldn't stick to it myself 🤣

Thats a good idea tho

KatPC

I haven't written everyday for a month but I did write 73,000 words in five months. it was basically 73,000 of hot garbage but I can get myself to right pretty consistently at least. Yeah If I had to write 50,000 words in a month God only knows how that story would turn out. 😆
I've been focusing on the quality of work lately more so than quantity so 500 seems much more do-able.

Not sure what my personal challenge will be for November. I bet if I made that a challenge for all of WF, (500 words everyday) I wouldn't stick to it myself 🤣

Thats a good idea tho

How about you grow one story for every week in a month? A new story for every start of a new week. It doesn't have to be long, just 1 different story each week? Then at the end of the month, see which one seems 'best' and then water it, give it some sunshine, re-pot it, pluck off some dead leaves, give that a week too, and then post a before and after? In a month you will have mastered writing 4 different stories, practiced editing, put it on display, have the before and after shot to see progress.

Not a bad challenge?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
How about you grow one story for every week in a month? A new story for every start of a new week. It doesn't have to be long, just 1 different story each week? Then at the end of the month, see which one seems 'best' and then water it, give it some sunshine, re-pot it, pluck off some dead leaves, give that a week too, and then post a before and after? In a month you will have mastered writing 4 different stories, practiced editing, put it on display, have the before and after shot to see progress.

Not a bad challenge?
Well there is this one story I have been wanting to write and the idea has been hanging out in my brain since last year. I got it to a place where I feel like it's complete and has direction. Problem is, idk of my skill is up for the task yet. But even when I was writing other things this story has been my "passion project"

I was wanting to use nano to give me the courage to just "do it" and see what happens. You have a good idea for a challenge. But this story has been eating me up and idk of I can focus on 4 different stories 😭

Your suggestion would definitely be helpful in improving my abilities...
I am just kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

TMarie

I've been considering the same sort of thing Kegan, but rather than a word count goal by the end of November, I want 30 consecutive days of a specific number of hours (still to be determined) writing into my novel that has been hatching for several years. I've fallen in love with Scapple to help me plan out my characters, the general plot theme, and so on, but I haven't put much effort into actual writing. I can pull it off, but there's another writing goal I don't want to fall by the wayside during November. However, even one hour a day invested into my novel would be 30 hours at the end of the month. I'm just not sure if one hour a day is enough to get the momentum going.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've been considering the same sort of thing Kegan, but rather than a word count goal by the end of November, I want 30 consecutive days of a specific number of hours (still to be determined) writing into my novel that has been hatching for several years. I've fallen in love with Scapple to help me plan out my characters, the general plot theme, and so on, but I haven't put much effort into actual writing. I can pull it off, but there's another writing goal I don't want to fall by the wayside during November. However, even one hour a day invested into my novel would be 30 hours at the end of the month. I'm just not sure if one hour a day is enough to get the momentum going.
Yes, I have been having fun plotting too. I even got flashcards to write down scenes. I have a notebook I've been scribbling in but then there is the "actual writing" part. The scenes and the way I think about them come off beautifully but when it comes time to write I gotta translate that and well...it usually don't come out as "nice" as i'd like it. Sadly can't procrastinate forever.
I was thinking about instead of word count or hour amount, I focus on completing a page or a scene. That goal has helped me before. I like it more than word counting. I have the first section planned out, so I think that will give me good momentum. Fo the rest...well I have main plot points but this is where the "pantser" side will really have to kick in.
Let me know if you will need motivation buddy(ies)...cause I know I will 😆

KatPC

But this story has been eating me up and idk of I can focus on 4 different stories 😭
Focus on your one. Writing 50k poorly, makes you write 50k poorly constructed words. How about writing a story with the target of baring your passion, with the goal to improve? If you have a seed and don't plant it, it will never grow. Even when you grab a pot, water it, wait nervously, happily at the green shoot popping up, it won't be beautiful straight away. Like all plants, as they grow they drift towards the sun, arching the stems towards the light, the leaves curving over to one side and it is only then that you may need a stick, maybe a chopstick or 2, stab it into the pot, bind the stem with string so grow upright, and then you will have to trim off the excess leaves that takes away the water needed for it to grow better, turn the pot everyday, sing to it, water it, give it some feed, all the ingredients to make a beautiful plant.

You ... or any of us, may not have all the necessary skills, but it's so much fun. I'm here learning how to trim, to stop the stem from flopping over, but it's growing and I look at it once in a while, potting small plants, easier stuff, to go back to it one day with a much better mind and go back into that world again, where there's a garden full of flowers.

I found that having a routine developed momentum that once you start to write, get engaged in a story, you will want more time and then one hour, soon becomes two or three.

:)

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
Focus on your one. Writing 50k poorly, makes you write 50k poorly constructed words.

NaNoWriMo is the artistic embodiment of the Good/Cheap/Fast question.

I'm not against by it by any stretch. For new writers especially, pushing yourself to get words on paper is useful. Voluminous garbage is decent practice for thinking on the fly and working against the clock, and I imagine if we're all honest we can cop to our fair share of rookie-grade work we hope and pray never comes to light, but there does come a time when your focus needs to shift away from getting it down fast and getting it down right.

While it holds no appeal for me whatsoever, I would never try to steer somebody away from it - but hitting 50K doesn't carry weight, either.

You ... or any of us, may not have all the necessary skills, but it's so much fun. I'm here learning how to trim, to stop the stem from flopping over, but it's growing and I look at it once in a while, potting small plants, easier stuff, to go back to it one day with a much better mind and go back into that world again, where there's a garden full of flowers.

Precisely. Setting aside that thirty-day block for the express purpose of writing one (1) quality short story of 5,000 words or thereabout will both serve better than 50,000 words of filler and give you something you can be proud of later.

NaNo may seem like a shortcut to get past those first million trash-words we supposedly need in order to become readable, but the truth is developing a sense and style and mastery over stuff that people might actually read is infinitely more valuable than a block of text doomed to languish in the also-ran folder until your computer dies.

Put it this way:

Homemade cupcake with quality icing, or a cake the size of a shipping container that tastes like mulch?

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Focus on your one. Writing 50k poorly, makes you write 50k poorly constructed words.
I've never planned on writing 50k so i'm not worried about that too much.
How about writing a story with the target of baring your passion, with the goal to improve? If you have a seed and don't plant it, it will never grow. Even when you grab a pot, water it, wait nervously, happily at the green shoot popping up, it won't be beautiful straight away. Like all plants, as they grow they drift towards the sun, arching the stems towards the light, the leaves curving over to one side and it is only then that you may need a stick, maybe a chopstick or 2, stab it into the pot, bind the stem with string so grow upright, and then you will have to trim off the excess leaves that takes away the water needed for it to grow better, turn the pot everyday, sing to it, water it, give it some feed, all the ingredients to make a beautiful plant.

I'm planning on writing it in parts, so I think that will help me mentally. I'm fairly confident about the first section. Not sure If my goal is to complete that during nano but I feel like that would be the 'easy part' and I was thinking of starting soon..
I found that having a routine developed momentum that once you start to write, get engaged in a story, you will want more time and then one hour, soon becomes two or three.

:)
When I write time gets eaten up really quick lool

TMarie

Yes, I have been having fun plotting too. I even got flashcards to write down scenes. I have a notebook I've been scribbling in but then there is the "actual writing" part. The scenes and the way I think about them come off beautifully but when it comes time to write I gotta translate that and well...it usually don't come out as "nice" as i'd like it. Sadly can't procrastinate forever.
I was thinking about instead of word count or hour amount, I focus on completing a page or a scene. That goal has helped me before. I like it more than word counting. I have the first section planned out, so I think that will give me good momentum. Fo the rest...well I have main plot points but this is where the "pantser" side will really have to kick in.
Let me know if you will need motivation buddy(ies)...cause I know I will 😆

Isn't that first translation of our beautiful thoughts about our story considered the 'vomit' copy? I don't like doing it, but finally discovered how good I feel after I get it out ;) I took an online workshop earlier this year, and the facilitator gave us a prompt with 15 mins to just write (ugggh). She then gave us a further 15 mins to rewrite using the prompt "what I meant to say was ..." It completely changed how I look at that first stab at getting the scenes out of my head and into words because what I meant to say was ..........

I like your idea of completing a scene ... thank you:) I tend to squirrel a lot when I'm writing, and where I start in my writing time can be a long way from where I end ... lack of focus I suppose. Hmmmm, so perhaps a combination of a set amount of time doing actual writing along with the focus of completing a scene ... I like it!

TMarie

Oh yes, a routine!! I deliberately took the summer off from writing except for catching inspirations and thoughts in my scribbler, but now that fall is settling in I'm eager to establish a writing routine again. It's interesting that my automatic 2:00 a.m. wake time seems to have kicked in again for winter writing, although I have yet to actually get out of bed LOL By November I'd be surprised if the intent of actual writing for one hour doesn't organically (love your plant visual) grow into several hours ... there are beautiful flowers that bloom at night ;)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Isn't that first translation of our beautiful thoughts about our story considered the 'vomit' copy? I don't like doing it, but finally discovered how good I feel after I get it out ;) I took an online workshop earlier this year, and the facilitator gave us a prompt with 15 mins to just write (ugggh). She then gave us a further 15 mins to rewrite using the prompt "what I meant to say was ..." It completely changed how I look at that first stab at getting the scenes out of my head and into words because what I meant to say was ....
I'm quite good at word vomiting...just not the greatest at cleaning it up. lol I like that idea. I tend to write sentences all the time and go "ew that's not quite right" , highlight them and come back to them later. I will also take the same sentence/ paragraph I'm having trouble with and write/ rewrite it over and over again in a notebook.
I like your idea of completing a scene ... thank you:) I tend to squirrel a lot when I'm writing, and where I start in my writing time can be a long way from where I end ... lack of focus I suppose. Hmmmm, so perhaps a combination of a set amount of time doing actual writing along with the focus of completing a scene ... I like it!
squirrel around alot? like moving around? haha me too. I will get into a scene but will also be brain storming and I just want to jump up and move around. Idk why. I hear movement helps stimulate the brain... though I will squirrel around a lot too to procrastinate...

Glad my suggestion was helpful!