Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NaNoWriMo 2021 (1 Viewer)

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
So is anyone on WF doing this, this year?

@KeganThompson discussed this in Writing discussion, but we were missing a thread in the Forum set up specifically for it.

@PiP and I are not, but we have a good excuse. We're wrapping up the novel we started in late August, which is always a worthy accomplishment. :)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
So is anyone on WF doing this, this year?

@KeganThompson discussed this in Writing discussion, but we were missing a thread in the Forum set up specifically for it.

@PiP and I are not, but we have a good excuse. We're wrapping up the novel we started in late August, which is always a worthy accomplishment. :)
I was thinking about doing a "personalized version" cuz no way I can not or do i want to write 50k in a month. I was shooting for 500 words a day...this did not end up happening but I have been writing fairly consistent. I have some dips last couple of weeks but I'm getting back into it.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking about doing a "personalized version" cuz no way I can not or do i want to write 50k in a month. I was shooting for 500 words a day...this did not end up happening but I have been writing fairly consistent. I have some dips last couple of weeks but I'm getting back into it.
For the novel I wrote in May 2020, I wrote 85K words in 17 days, so 5K a day. However, my business was essentially stopped in its tracks by COVID restrictions--our clients use our software mainly at trade shows, and trade shows were all canceled--so I had a chance to write essentially full-time every day. If I'm not writing full time, 500-2000 words is good progress.

@PiP and I have averaged about 1000 productive words per day on Poet Lariat, which included her on holiday for a few weeks, me on vacation for a week, and the entire learning process in how to make our workflow smooth. Of course, we had to map out the story first.

That also includes a good bit of time keeping everything organized ... as the story changes the plot outline needs to be kept up to date, among other tasks. Even at that rate, we could conceivably write four novels a year. If we want to use it, we have material mapped out for some story elements in a sequel to PL, since we only wrote about half the outline.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
For the novel I wrote in May 2020, I wrote 85K words in 17 days, so 5K a day. However, my business was essentially stopped in its tracks by COVID restrictions--our clients use our software mainly at trade shows, and trade shows were all canceled--so I had a chance to write essentially full-time every day. If I'm not writing full time, 500-2000 words is good progress.
I could NEVER. lol even if I had the time, I don't think I have it in me to write that much. I hope to be more proficient at writing as I grow in skill in confidence, right now it's slow goin'
@PiP and I have averaged about 1000 productive words per day on Poet Lariat, which included her on holiday for a few weeks, me on vacation for a week, and the entire learning process in how to make our workflow smooth. Of course, we had to map out the story first.

That also includes a good bit of time keeping everything organized ... as the story changes the plot outline needs to be kept up to date, among other tasks. Even at that rate, we could conceivably write four novels a year. If we want to use it, we have material mapped out for some story elements in a sequel to PL, since we only wrote about half the outline.
When I came to this forum I announced myself as a proud pantser but i'm starting to slid to the other side of the spectrum...
i'll figure it out eventually lol😬
I hope one day I can write in a more 'effortless' fashion like yourself. :)

Just_Phil

I'm trying my best, but more so for just the habit of art. I think nano is great for getting into the pattern of setting aside time to write, which is where I've been drastically lacking for years lol.

Wow, the amount you wrote consistently, 5000, is astounding to me. I mean, ive done it before when I had a single story that just wanted to get out, but repetitively... one day I hope to.

The 1-2k a day may be more manageable for me to aim for. Maybe the 500... or maybe just a predicate at least lol