Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NaNoWriMo 2019 (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
It's a pity that NaNoWriMo has passed because I've dreamed up a corker of an idea for a story. Yes, I know ideas are two a penny, but I'd be surprised if this one has been tried before. I know everyone says that but I'll start planning it out in a couple of weeks - after the hagglers have been and gone from viewing my flat.

seigfried007

Well done, seigfried! I don't envy your task of editing the beastie :) I am nowhere near finished my beast but I'm now wondering do I still continue to write using SOC and just lay down the bones of the story or do take a more organised approach?
SOC is frequently tiring and irritating to read, so I try to avoid it when I can. It can also devolve into meandering navel-gazing.

I do some of both. Not writing a memoir, but the effect is somewhat similar in that I'm using a first-person perspective. I'm using SOC more to show the emotional state of a given character. One of the POVs is a rather neurotic fellow, so SOC gets used to show how scattered, emotional and overwhelmed he can be. That character outwardly appears to have his shizznit together; dude lies something fierce with his body language, so I have to give an insider's perspective on what's going on in there. Even non-neurotic characters get their moments to shine in SOC or something closer to it; but again, it's about showing just how overwhelmed said characters are..

Reactions: PiP