Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NaNoWriMo 2019 (1 Viewer)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I'm at 30,000 words. I've resigned myself to the notion that this is draft 1 of likely several, so I've been writing quicker with less worry about the final product. It's a liberating way to write.

Excellent. Yes, it is a liberating way to write! I now even ignore the red and green squiggly lines under some to the text which are alerting me to SPaGs. I started with a plan for each chapter and now I even ignore that and just write. I've found it to be far easier than NaPo (30 poems in 30 days) where I can stare at the screen or a blank page of my notebook for hours, while I search for the right words.

It's weird to empathize with a character while writing said character's descent into insanity.

Siegs, just don't follow the character down the rabbit hole.

Look at you two, Pip and Seigfried! Today is the halfway mark and you are both well over half of the goal. Woo hoo! :cheers::cheers:

thanks, Ma'am. The end result maybe a pile of pooh but I'm enjoying the journey.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
33,255 and still waiting for cool shizznit
Did 1809 today.
IKR? What is with that? There is supposed to be telepathy in this draft...telepathy! And I just wrote 500 words about how a guy bought a computer from the classifieds for $98.50 and was surprised it wouldn't go on the internet. You do not need telepathy to figure out that was a bad plan!

The end result maybe a pile of pooh but I'm enjoying the journey.
I've become resigned to the fact that if a book is ever to occur there will be tons of writing and re-writing necessary anyway. So just get the ideas nailed down, they can be prettified later.

Also, holy cow, people, good job on racking up the word counts!

Last edited:

seigfried007

IKR? What is with that? There is supposed to be telepathy in this draft...telepathy! And I just wrote 500 words about how a guy bought a computer from the classifieds for $98.50 and was surprised it wouldn't go on the internet. You do not need telepathy to figure out that was a bad plan!
Here's an earlier post where I talk about a resident telepath in the book who's supposed to be doing cool shizznit, but instead holds babies, pets cats, dances, and has (in some case, literally) mind-blowing sex ALL THE TIME. If I'd kept him up as the bad guy, I'd have some crazy cool shizznit, and the book would've been over by now. But noooooooooo, I had to go on a redemption arc over the frickin' rainbow with this dude, so now the book's chock full of drama, and "feels," and even more super deep, complicated, disturbing themes! Blech. Said character has been referred to as "the most dangerous creature on Earth" a few times, and while he is, I haven't been able to deliver as much proof of that claim as I'd like. And now that he's getting a hold on his powers and growing so much as a person, he's less likely to flip shit and go hog wild with those super crazy, phenomenal cosmic mindpowers. Gonna have to find some good ways of twisting his arm into proving just how dangerous he is. Probably going to involve threatening his unborn child and having his job conflict ever more so with his desire to be with/provide for his family.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Gonna have to find some good ways of twisting his arm into proving just how dangerous he is. Probably going to involve threatening his unborn child and having his job conflict ever more so with his desire to be with/provide for his family.
Burn his world down. Don't go halfway. He'll get crazy and that sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

seigfried007

Burn his world down. Don't go halfway. He'll get crazy and that sounds exactly like what you're looking for.
I need him to do it on purpose and be sane. Story's become a bildungsroman for a traumatized Lovecraftian abomination. Making him crazy's easy, but making him grow up into a decent man has been a challenge.

At the start of the book, said character is responsible for thousands of people dying because his powers got away from him in a time of need (he needed rescuing, so all these people came running... into traffic, off bridges, out of windows, etc.). It's basically an accident (although one he doubles down on because, instead of letting these men go, he squishes their brains to keep authorities from finding anything out about him), so there's this issue about "What could he do on purpose?" with the understanding being that if he trains said powers, understands them (and himself) better, and fully commits to do something heinous, the effect is going to be that much gnarlier.

Throughout the book, he learns more control over his abilities but is also employed/used by other people towards their ends--and in ways which do not benefit the character. He gets duped into helping his abusive master, into terrifying a doctor (to prove how dangerous he was because a pretty lady told him to.. because she wanted his dangerous butt out of her dang house), and into killing someone who was basically a stepbrother/fellow victim (and didn't deserve it at all).

He's now at a point where he's actively trying to understand how his powers work--but he also realizes he's played his hand, his employer (US military) knows what he's capable of and is taking precautions to keep itself as safe as possible versus him, is working to find ways of killing him off if things go sour or he's no longer useful enough to warrant the threat his existence presents, and is very likely to experiment on said unborn child if they find out about it.

Currently, there are other creatures of similar abilities--and they're all hostile to him and America or held/trained/forcibly enslaved by countries which are hostile. One of said creatures has periodically taken partial control of this character's body and has used it to some devastating hallucinatory effect (hence his occasional utterances of "Daddy's home" and "Daddy's inside me." Yeah, dealing with some twisted, messed up shizznit here) but he can't let anyone know about that because he'd be a "compromised asset."

Like a tick, he's burrowed into a civilian family that includes the POV, his wife, and their one-year-old son; there's a bun in the oven and doubts as to who put it there, so they're trying to hide the pregnancy. If it's his, it's likely to end in miscarriage because of genetic issues--if it doesn't get stuck full of needles in the womb or forcibly taken out early. So, of course it's his 'cause I'm a bastard and like upping stakes. He's now aware that the family is only be kept on base as human test subjects and can totally be liquidated/held hostage to ensure his good behavior.

He's wising up to how he's being used, so when he does finally use his powers on purpose for his own ends in some grand (if terrifying) display, I want it to be while he has full possession of his own faculties--not because he's being manipulated by any outside force and not because he's temporarily crazy. No matter what he does, he'll probably regret it because the more dangerous he is, the more seriously everyone takes him, the more likely they are to feel threatened by him and, therefore, the more danger the family may be in.

If it were just family vs job, he'd tell the job to go hang and kill off all of America if he had to in order to keep this family safe. But he needs the gov't to train him so he can be around the family without accidentally killing them (he's accidentally killed loved ones before and has nearly killed the infant son and the POV already), so he can take out Daddy and other enemy telepaths, and so he can "save the littles" who are being abused/coerced by hostile forces.

Maybe I'm over-worrying about it, but it still feels like too much kitchen sink drama. This character isn't the POV and can't be... 'cause he might not be real (I leave it up to the reader).

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Whew! If I followed all that (and it's twisty!) my gut says, "This is about identity and soul". Just sorting it out seems like one endeavor. Refining it into everything it can be might not happen until further rewrites. Keep it up, you are epic!

seigfried007

Whew! If I followed all that (and it's twisty!) my gut says, "This is about identity and soul". Just sorting it out seems like one endeavor. Refining it into everything it can be might not happen until further rewrites. Keep it up, you are epic!

That ain't half of how twisty this beast is, but you're right about the gist of it. Through the whole book, the POV is struggling with every facet of identity. Take away a man's memories, rewrite his memories, switch up all the roles he plays in life (friends, spouse, parenthood, occupation, lovers), take away his ability to do pretty much anything but think, put other people in his body and make him watch what they do in it (when he's not "in the backseat"), inflict all kinds of existentialist hell on him, stick his consciousness in another body, force out of character urges and emotions on him, make him doubt who he is or what he wants or what's real... yeah, it's a rabbit hole. Found out a lot of someone's identity is tied up in what they remember, what roles they fill in life, what they want, and what they're capable of... after mangling all of these things for the POV character.

And I leave everything ambiguous so the reader has to determine what the heck is real. That’s part of the beauty of the WIP. I’ve got an unreliable narrator who may or may not:

1. be going insane
  2. have started out insane
  3. have suffered extreme child abuse
  4. have DID
  5. be possessed
  6. be living in a science fiction setting
  7. be harassed by literal Lovecraftian abominations as presented in the text
  8. be in denial about his true sexual preferences
  9. have been forcibly turned by outside forces to sexual preferences which weren’t his at all

It’s entirely up to the reader to figure out how real anything is, how crazy the narrator is, and if he’s lying about anything. I play all sides of the field.

There’s also “between” options. For instance, there might be a combination of DID and Lovecraftian abominations/possession, but who has DID and who’s real is still up for debate and interpretation. There may also be introjection at play (some characters may be real in parts and fake/DID alters in others because the identity and/or hallucination of that person is based on someone real).

It's basically everything that "At the Mouth of Madness" was billed to be.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
35479 / 50000

My target is to hit a minimum of 40,000 words by Wednesday evening. I go to the UK on Thursday and I will only have the ipad with me. Fingers crossed.

Do ipods have a USB port to which you can connect a keyboard?

seigfried007

Up to 36,823. Added 2,429 today.

Got some neater scenes out. Mr. Telepath managed (to pause time and then pause the already paused time) to suck how to drive a Dodge Demon out of a doctor over dinner at a PX food court in an underground military base. He's trying to craft a metaphor for the POV David, who keeps getting "stuck in the backseat" of the body.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Well done, Seigs! Do you have much more to add to the story? Is the end in sight?

seigfried007

Well done, Seigs! Do you have much more to add to the story? Is the end in sight?

I occasionally think that it is... and then... these characters are very good about lengthening their literary lifespans.

Once upon a time, I hadn't thought it would make it to 40K (back when it was still supposed to be shallow serialized sci-fi erotica). Then, I picked it back up after a couple years of hiatus; it got deeper and deeper, and yet I still believed it'd be over by 60K. Picked it up again this summer, started falling down a rabbit hole, still thought it'd be over by 80K (nice length, I figured).

But then the rabbit hole simply didn't end. It was like the one from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.
[video=youtube;vLt5ei598CY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLt5ei598CY[/video]

Then, it was 90K, 100K, 120K, 150K, 200K, 250K... swore up and down it'd be over by then... now I'm just hoping it's done by 400K. I know what the end is. I know the basic milestones to get there.

I'm pretty sure I'm either going to have to cut out enormous portions of it or split it into multiple books (which I think would work better because this is just too much to cut at this point, and the book is enormously self-referential). I'm not sure where to put breaks between books--particularly around the first book. Somewhere around the 90K mark would leave it on a cliffhanger of sorts, but I think it might still be the best place. Don't know of any tremendously good places to cut it before that point. After that point, he's in the hospital, and it'd be roughly 70K till I could cut it again (~160K book; or two books at 90K and 70K, with the second being shorter, largely consisting of disjointed flashbacks and not so much telling its own good arc).

After that point, the POV basically loses his body (and I've got almost 100K and counting without this poor bastard being able to move). After a few chapters riding around in a Lovecraftian abomination's head, the POV's body gets a new tenant, and the POV moves back into his own body... which he still can't move. But then I get a new POV character of sorts--a nice, wordy, neurotic one who's really good at pouring on drama and "feels." Book switches gears and focuses more on the interpersonal drama and helping characters heal, and this is why I get so much kitchen sink stuff. Tension is more dramatic and emotional without having as much of the same visceral punch or sci-fi/horror action type stuff (or at least, that's what it feels like to me; I might be over-worrying). I hand't thought this part of the story would last so long--figured I'd get the guy set up and happy, and then I'd do something terrible to him quick--except I want to show him heal, and he was a lot deeper and more messed up as a character than I'd given him credit for. He also helps showcase just how much that Lovecraftian abomination has changed for the better (good thing to prove and test for a redemption arc on that guy).But now that they're all on the good road to healing and getting along, I'm trying to ramp up the sci-fi/horror tension again and will probably stick in some flashbacks to maintain some of those threads I stuck in earlier arcs because said arc are taking longer to complete than I'd hoped.

• Thanks
Reactions: PiP

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Wow, Seig. All of that...and my villain just looked at a girl's butt.

Where. Is. My. Dang. Telepathy?!

seigfried007

Wow, Seig. All of that...and my villain just looked at a girl's butt.

Where. Is. My. Dang. Telepathy?!

My telepaths all wonder what's wrong with your guy since they can't turn off their ability to hear what other people are thinking. Means they hear a lot of useless garbage and noise. Just 'cause you can hear someone's thoughts doesn't make those thoughts interesting. Just 'cause you can speak with your mind doesn't mean you've got anything useful to say. Any abilities which require effort may not be thought of as useful or worth that effort. Why blow up a thousand brains or stop time or teleport or any of that jazz if you don't have to?

But mostly, they're all leaning over to check that lady's butt out. Scoping out the finer things in life is important, y'know?

(Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back" is go for launch in T-minus 3...2...1...)

[video=youtube;X53ZSxkQ3Ho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53ZSxkQ3Ho[/video]

D-d-d-daaayumm ;)

seigfried007

Added all of 1501 today. NaNo count's up to 40,236; WIP's up to 262,500.

Everything I added was God the Father flashbacks today (including--of all things--a sex scene). After finally getting to cool sci-fi shizznit yesterday, I paused said cool sci-fi shizznit to write these flashbacks. Blargh.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
My telepaths all wonder what's wrong with your guy since they can't turn off their ability to hear what other people are thinking.
Well, one thing is that he's not my telepath. LOL
Added all of 1501 today. NaNo count's up to 40,236; WIP's up to 262,500.
Darned impressive.
After finally getting to cool sci-fi shizznit yesterday, I paused said cool sci-fi shizznit to write these flashbacks. Blargh.
Haha it's all uphill. I set my MC's house on fire and then had him contemplate Cheshire cat vs Cat in the Hat while on painkillers. I dunno...