Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

NaNoWriMo 2007 (1 Viewer)

wmd

I got an email from Chris Baty the other day saying that the Nano 07 page will be up soon!

I know that a lot of people around here do not think nano is "real" writing, but it is fun, and I can not wait for it to start.

Last year was my first year, and I only made it to 20,003 words... but it got me back into writing seriously.

Anyone else excited about doing it this year? I am trying to think of a goofy plot that I can just fill with padding and dares... that is the best thing about NaNo, just do it and have fun!

Hawke

Patron
Patron
Yep, I received the same email. Since my Nano track record is pretty embarrassing (meaning I haven't finished one yet), I think I'll take a pass this time. But best of luck to you, wmd. And please let us know how you do, will you?

Shawn

WF Veterans
I signed up last year, but then I met my ex-boyfriend. Before I knew it, November was over and I forgot about it until May.

I'm doing it this year... yes... definitely.

Selorian

Patron
I've done Nano twice. I got to 15k the first year and finished the second year. Last year I didn't even try, but I plan on giving it another go this year.

With this time of year coming up, I believe it's time to make an official NaNoWriMo 2007 forum. I'll try to get it set up by the end of the week.

I'm doing NaNo for the first time this year.

I am so beyond stoked. Never have I had such a good excuse to eat chocolate and hit my head against my desk and be on the computer all day.
Also I really, really like my plot idea. :grin:

Kira the wanderer

I have done NaNoWriMo for the past two years, entering in my thrid. I have won each time I participated, but am unsure if I can participate this year. Considering that I do not own a computer and had to be driven to the library each and every day of November possible, I consider those wins quite an accomplishment.

Should I get a computer this year, I am definately going to join again.

valeca

Patron
This'll be my fourth year. I'm not as excited this round because I've completed it every other year I've done it and the challenge isn't as great as it used to be, but I'm still glad it's here.

alanmt

WF Veterans
I did it for the first time last year and loved it! I can't wait to do it again. Not sure if I should do sequal to last year's fantasy, or a historical fantasy I have been plotting, or try my hand at whipping out a gay lit piece.

kalrarii

I've done it two years myself, won both times. I find the community behind nano is the thing that really keeps me going.. All year long, even!

So yes I am incredibly excited. :D

( Not real writing? Then what IS real writing? (; )

valeca said:
This'll be my fourth year. I'm not as excited this round because I've completed it every other year I've done it and the challenge isn't as great as it used to be, but I'm still glad it's here.

If so.. then make a more difficult goal. Say 75k? (;

Perpetual♥blockage said:
I'm doing NaNo for the first time this year.

I am so beyond stoked. Never have I had such a good excuse to eat chocolate and hit my head against my desk and be on the computer all day.
Also I really, really like my plot idea.
Could I adopt you then? :)

Writer Kitten

I'm not participating this year. Three years running (fantasy, fantasy, modern fantasy) I've beaten it (usually by quite a margin. Last year's final count was something like 70k) and I just don't have any ideas, and have so many "wips" (hahaha... they aren't "in progress" they're "stagnated") that I don't want to add another one to the list (that's already 15-20 long, depending on how you count). Plus, there's just no one I can chat with about it (and by chat I mean on IMs) because I always outstrip people and several actually got angry at me last year because I'd be whining about word count at 35k, and they hadn't even broken 20k yet (needless to say, we don't talk any more).

... Wow that got parenthetical. My apologies (although I'll keep doing it because I'm odd like that).

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I've done it. I've never actually gotten very far but it was fun.

For the sake of readers everywhere please please PLEASE do not finish your NaNo novel then rush out and self-publish it! I've seen it done. It's a horrible thing.

For the sake of readers everywhere please please PLEASE do not finish your NaNo novel then rush out and self-publish it! I've seen it done. It's a horrible thing.

Oh man yes.
Basically the entire point of NaNo is that what you finish, you assume won't instantly be ready for publication.

Nicco

I did it for the first time last year and loved it! I can't wait to do it again. Not sure if I should do sequal to last year's fantasy, or a historical fantasy I have been plotting, or try my hand at whipping out a gay lit piece.

That's cool, Alan! Is that the book your literary agent is representing right now?

Code_Mage

Personally my feelings are mixed.

I did Nanowrimo once. I won, but I hated the result of my work. There was simply too many holes. I suppose that's what I get for attempting to tackle a tangled web of a plot in alongside a massive world-building stretch.

suzakugaiden

I completed it the last two years, with 50k and then 70k. To make it fun, I'm going to try to actually FINISH the novel this year and make it good, instead of just have it trailing on into nothing like in the first two (although I'm gonna incorporate bits of Nano 2 in Main Story Project I'm working on sometime eventually).

When are we allowed to do prewriting and worldbuilding, anyway :3

Elysia19

Haha,

Yes, i am entering this year. Its my first year, and i'm pumped! I have a great plot idea (and yes i know not to aim for quality) and cant wait to get writing. I've even gotten 3 friends entering aswell since i've been so excited about it. Im really just glad to get more people into writing. I cant wait to see everyones word counts once we start, but till then, im researching my topic like a maniac :D

Cheers!

I

Iannis

I've planned on doing NaNoWriMo for the last two years. I did some plot outlining the first year. Last year, I even made a few (false) starts, but I don't think I even hit 2k words. This year, I am going to finish. My Chaos-to-Motivation ratio is better. 2007 is my year.

I haven't (really) written fiction in a long time. I have to find a way to write through the voice in my head telling me that everything I write is crap. (I have that problem all the time, not just during NaNoWriMo.) Maybe I should PLAN to write the worst crap possible in November so that I can always tell my inner critic that whatever I am writing, it isn't as bad as that NaNoWriMo thing I wrote.

B

Butch Mandance

I'm going to give it a shot, even though my better half believes that putting myself under that much pressure will be the final straw to push me over the edge into burbling insanity. Personally I reckon it'll do me good. I've managed to terrify myself into inaction on all my current projects and a month of 'no strings' writing might be just what I need to get going.

In fact I was working on a film script with the step son over the school holidays and did all the pre-writing. I'm at the stage where I have about 140 index cards blu-tacked to the wall and just looking at them causes me to break out into a cold sweat. I reckon that ploughing into it in novel form for NaNo might just be the breakthrough I need.

It'll be my first time, although I once did sneakily set myself the challenge of writing the 50K novel within the month and managed to finish it at 60K. I wasn't quite daft enough to self publish but it did earn me a nice shiny form rejection when I entered it into the Waterstones/This Morning's childrens' novel competition. Perhaps a single quick read through with a red pen wasn't nearly enough editing. Then again, there's always the possibility that it just wasn't very good.