Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Names For My Novel 'The Sixth Chamber' (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I need a name for the crow and horse. Nothing complicated or too long.

Protag: Yarrod
Gun: Sorrow
Crow: Stitch
Horse: ?

Just to help get a feel for this, here is the first couple of paragraphs so far:

Sometimes Yarrod wondered if the world moved beneath him, the future an earth’s rotation away. He had a similar view of time, never sure when he began, only that he was. Pain gave him some resolution. He hungered and thirsted, ached and weakened just like the next man. There the similarity ended. No womb birthed him and no grave waited. He was outside of time, watching the world pass by, snatching moments to remind himself he was no ghost.

The sands shifted endlessly as he shambled on, saddle slumped across his left shoulder, furnace at his back. Spurs rattled with each step taken, footprints swallowed by fine sand in a sleepless breeze. His jaw had long since lost its determination and hung slack beneath a mouth craving cool, fresh air. Only dust though, his tongue a dune.

Last edited:

Riptide

WF Veterans
Um.... Crow: Murder... Bobo... What's he good at? i'd just choose that as his name: Wanderer, Traveler, Skirr... idk

Horse: Friday, from the little "riddle". A cowboy rode in to town on Friday, spent two days and three nights there, and left on Friday. How is that possible? because his horse is named Friday.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Having thought on it some...a lot of this depends on Yarrod's relationship to the unnamed critters. If he thinks fondly of his traveling companions, whimsical or in-universe sobriquets may be in order.

If he's not... suffice it to say I've met a few dogs and horses who answered to Dammit (and variations thereof).

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Having thought on it some...a lot of this depends on Yarrod's relationship to the unnamed critters. If he thinks fondly of his traveling companions, whimsical or in-universe sobriquets may be in order.

If he's not... suffice it to say I've met a few dogs and horses who answered to Dammit (and variations thereof).
I asked to soon I feel. His horse is damned and damned by his hand. He takes his steed out into the wilderness and shoots it through the head with a bullet from the sixth chamber. That's the end of the first chapter! Funny stuff! Hilarious! In the morning, his steed is there, smoky grey with fire in its eyes.

The crow is his eyes and his conscience, often scouting for prey or keeping Yarrod posted on the storm that follows them where ever they go.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Of the two I'd probably favor Stitch.

It seems to fit in with what's been posted thus far. I'd be hard pressed to say why, exactly. Something about Snitch (though accurate) doesn't click in quite as neat.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Of the two I'd probably favor Stitch.

It seems to fit in with what's been posted thus far. I'd be hard pressed to say why, exactly. Something about Snitch (though accurate) doesn't click in quite as neat.
Yeah, Stitch has a nastiness about it that 'Snitch' loses.

Matchu

I think all of the ‘noir’ is extremely useful in terms of visualisation - for you - at this early stage, but that it all should, and it will, drop away as you immerse into the project.

The man in black, edge of desert highway, sipping his aftershave, plus crow from the graphic novel, is too ‘received’ as effete gentlemen like me say often.

But it doesn’t matter because it is a building block.

OR such character/characterisation is a type that readers identify with quickly, and they enjoy this sort of thing. I think Terry Pratchitt springs to mind, not sure. Certainly 2000AD

Y’see...

Turnbull

Bon Bon for the Crow, and Casper for the horse. Lol, I don't know. Or if you want something more pretentious, Lapis Lazuli for the Crow, and Zaldi for the horse (it means "horse" in Basque).

TheMightyAz

Mentor
The crow really must be Corvid.
Maybe Fourlegs for the horse (sometimes shortened to Four').
Corvid? STITCH!

At the end of chapter one, after Yarrod has hiked across the desert and entered a small town, he purchases a horse and rides out into the wilderness. There he puts a bullet in the sixth chamber of his gun and shoots the horse through the head. He lays his head upon the corpse, legs crossed, tips his hat down over his face and sleeps. In the morning the horse is standing. It's smoky grey with fire in its eyes.

Initially I thought 'Shadow' but I'm pretty sure that's cliched or has been used many times.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Corvid? STITCH!

At the end of chapter one, after Yarrod has hiked across the desert and entered a small town, he purchases a horse and rides out into the wilderness. There he puts a bullet in the sixth chamber of his gun and shoots the horse through the head. He lays his head upon the corpse, legs crossed, tips his hat down over his face and sleeps. In the morning the horse is standing. It's smoky grey with fire in its eyes.

Initially I thought 'Shadow' but I'm pretty sure that's cliched or has been used many times.
Would calling the horse Phoenix be too cliched?
Zombie?
Redeye? (sounds like conjunctivitis)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Would calling the horse Phoenix be too cliched?
Zombie?
Redeye? (sounds like conjunctivitis)
Phoenix is too on the nose, man. Zombie ... again, too on the nose. Redeye? Mmmmm ... not the tone I'm going for. Think gritty, gnarly, dark, gothic horror set in a fantasy world. I want names that aren't too extraordinary but 'feel' otherworldly in context. On the short side if possible like Yarrod, Stitch and Sorrow. At least for those on the side of 'good' anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.