Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

name conundrum (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunox

I have had some coe to me concerned about one of the names in my book truly. the name is spelled thass but prnounced like thadus. I was wondering how different people pronounce the name. it was based of the creature called a thade.

Last edited:

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
As it is spelt, how else, you wouldn't even pronounce it Thadus if it were Welsh - Mind you, I'm not so sure about Gaelic, if they can pronounce Naimh as Neeve so who knows...

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I didn't know what sort of creature 'a creature called a thade' is, neither, apparently does Google. When I tried 'What is a thade?' it offered me 'trade war', expansion told me it was an anagram of 'death' and one of the chimps in Planet of the Apes. Did you perhaps mean that chimpanzee?

Like Bloggsworth I can see no reason why it should be pronounced with a 'd' that is not in it. I would pronounce it like the fish 'wrasse', only starting 'th' as in 'this' or 'that' unless I was told differently at the start of the book. Even then I might consider it a ridiculous affectation and ignore it in my reading.

kunox

I may have bee thinking of another creature but got the name wrong.... from what I remember thade's where ghost but more like shadows.. kind of cloud like at times but that is all I can remember about them.
update: I must have been subconsciously channeling the link below.as a kid I used to call the creature them evil thades. through that into a blinder with thaddeus from greek mythology and some ghost stories and the description above makes since. the problem is I never played neo pets nor have seen it. lol.. I really have no clue where this idea of a greek shadow ghost could of came from other wise though.

https://neopets.fandom.com/wiki/Eliv_Thade

last update on this... lol"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shade...,of a dead person, residing in the underworld.

Last edited:

Llyralen

Does it need to be spelled like that? If so it would always rhyme with ass in my head, even if you told me it was supposed to be pronounced Thadus. I would just think “does everything with double S’s have to be pronounced with a d? Adus instead of ass? It’s asking a bit much. Are there double S’s pronounced like “dus” throughout this language? Are you creating a psyeudo language? Because that’s always interesting.

Matchu

Refer to WF classics - the threads - ‘Prikfase (pronounced vase, you bastards)/Thundercracon (sci-fi section), Assholia, the land of pleasure, etc

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
As it is spelt, how else, you wouldn't even pronounce it Thadus if it were Welsh - Mind you, I'm not so sure about Gaelic, if they can pronounce Naimh as Neeve so who knows...

I studied Irish Gaelic (in Glencolmcille Co. Donegal) in 97 and again in 2000 - learning to speak it is similar the the process with other languages, but writing? There are no phonics... good heavens. I recall asking my teacher, 'How do you learn to spell?' The answer was 'Brute force memorization'.

And names? They're treated like words, so the spelling changes depending on the sound of the words in the sentence around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.