Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Na-What-O? (1 Viewer)

HKayG

A support group sounds like a good idea - i'll have to look out for one down here too. I think i already know what my story is going to be based on!

HKayG

And Prim - wow that is a long list! That definetely makes me more motivated to do this!!! Excited.

Primrose

And Prim - wow that is a long list! That definetely makes me more motivated to do this!!! Excited.

Gotta love the WriMos! If you have Skype and want a group to chat with this year, feel free to shoot me a PM. My group and I have a skype chat for NaNoWriMo and it's super easy to find writing buddies in WriMo season.

HKayG

Prim that's a brilliant idea! I always need extra motivation and that sounds like a great way to do it.

I always respond well to group peer pressure :)

T

Thenim75

I might as well join this activity when the next opportunity comes up.

moderan

WF Veterans
I've nano-ed six times. Five complete novels, one I got so "into" that I forgot to validate it (last year). There's usually a writingforums presence. If there isn't and you want a buddy or cheerleader, come find me. I have the same handle there as I do here and everywhere.
It boils down to an average of 1667 words per day-that's duck soup. Novel writing isn't as hard as it's made out to be.
I use the nanowrimo period to try things that are out of my regular queue, or to experiment-one of the pieces, which has now grown to almost 700k, was an experiment involving no characters besides the narrator, that takes place on a frozen world where time moves at a glacial pace and nothing "seems" to happen. It's really not very interesting, but it sure is long, and I add to it from time to time.
Three of the nanonovels will be published, later this year and next.
You can do it too.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I'd really like it if instead of November (which seems to always be crazy here) the month was February or March, usually terribly grey and cold months here when I want to hibernate anyway. Yes, I do think that NaNoWriMo should be changed just for me!

(And I probably still wouldn't finish a novel)

Hemlock

I want to venture into writing contemporary thrillers, so I guess I'm taking part and nano myself in to test that.

enchantedsecret24

This sounds fun, I definitely want to participate in this this year! I told myself on Jan. 1st that my New Years Resolution was to finish a novel by the end of the year. Maybe this will motivate me to finish a little early in November, or even to finish at all! Yay!

Primrose

This is just a general NaNoWriMo announcement, but this year Camp NaNoWriMo will take place in April and July. It's no different than NaNo November, they just choose to put a summery spin on things. They did change one variable though: word count. You're allowed to set your own goal. I'm pretty sure they did this to increase the number of winners they see yearly.

So now you've got two opportunities to finish your novel this year... GET GOIN'!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi KayG that's exactly what I first said when I joined in the NaNoWriMo challenge last year. I had great fun and actually wrote my first book which I'm still editing. Observing my daily word count target was not always easy, but at least it kept me focused. I also had several buddies who were great, and when I lagged behind and saw their word count going up, it spurred me on. Please do not hesitate to contact me for the Nov challenge.

Last edited:

Kehawin

I have a question about this. I know you are supposed to log from 0 to goal... but can you take an unfinished work and go from there, logging only the stuff you type after the comp starts?

I've wanted to do this for several years now, but have been in nursing school - brain is fried so crisply even thinking about anything other than studying hurts. But, yay me, I graduate in October, so this year would be the perfect time - sending out resumes and writing while waiting for the phone to ring!

Would love to be able to use the comp to spur me in writing further on my project, but already have a couple thou written.

I suppose if that's not allowed I could use one of my other seeds, but would really not like any excuse to not finish this one.

Primrose

NaNo is pretty much free game. Working off a project you've already started is called "rebelling." Lots of people do it! Some people don't even write novels. They write flash fiction, fan fiction and any host of other things. Sometimes even scripts.

Basically the only rule of NaNoWriMo is to have an insane amount of fun. You're pretty much at liberty to do whatever pleases you.

enchantedsecret24

When does this start and how do I join in? I am currently at 45,000 on my very first novel but need the extra push to finish it I think! This would be really helpful right now.

columbo1977

When does this start and how do I join in? I am currently at 45,000 on my very first novel but need the extra push to finish it I think! This would be really helpful right now.

If you were doing it properly, you would have to start again, you can't start with your own 45k :p

1st November. I am determined to finish this year.

Primrose

If you were doing it properly, you would have to start again, you can't start with your own 45k :p

1st November. I am determined to finish this year.

Not entirely true, good sir! Working off of something you've already got is considered "rebelling" you're at liberty to write another 50k during the month. As an addendum to the original rules, I know in the months of April and July you can set your own word goals. Not sure if they intend to do that for actual NaNo this year, but I will only be writing 18k.

columbo1977

But the idea is to write 50k in a month, so starting with 45k and getting to 50k would really be "completing" it, unless you wrote another 45k on something else.

I'm planning 2 novellas this year.

As long as you write 50k in the month, you have done it :)