Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My Short Story on Aspasia to be Published (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I just heard that Brigets Gate Press is going to publish my 1800-word short story, At the Temple of Asclepius. The story will appear in their anthology on ancient Greek myths and is for stories and poems from "her" point of view. My story's about Aspasia, beloved courtesan to Pericles and close friend to Socrates. Socrates was tried and sentenced to death while Aspasia was tried but not sentenced to death. The story is a looking back over her life. The anthology will be released in spring of 2022. I'm delighted to get this news. I love exploring ancient Greece and it's fun to put to use the many things I've learned about it over the years (myths, funereal customs, death rites, and suchlike).

petergrimes

Hello Pamelyn, :)

well done mate, I always like hearing about your sucesses. That sounds really interesting, for nearly everone has heard of Socarates fate, so to do it about Aspasia (whom i don't know, they didn't teach classics at my school but I'm learning bits and bobs) will be really interesting, bringing her story to life on it's own merit, for people like me who haven't heard it. I also imagine it will give a different perspective (as a side note) about Socrates death. So that sounds really interesting. Well done. Also I forgot to say before but if you could let us know how you get on the that competition that would be really much appreciated. No photos of the banquet though (all though I'm really quite intrigued, I've never bee to a banquet), all the best mate, you desreve it, cheers Pamelyn, ta ra a bit PG

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thank you, Peter. The whole story behind Socrates is fascinating. Aspasia has intrigued me since the day I first read her speech (one she'd written for Pericles). They called her every horrible name in the book-- the most creative, I thought, was "dog-eyed harlot." She was tried when Socrates was tried. She was brilliant. (Did you know it's rumored that Socrates had a live-in courtesan? She and Xanthippe (his wife) did NOT get along. I had fun writing a short-short play about the trial of Socrates and in my play I presented Socrates being tried by Xanthippe.:-D Well this is more than you likely wanted to know so I'll end it now. Now to your question . . .

I do a monthly newsletter, Flash Fiction Flash, and many of the places that accept flash fiction also accept poetry. So that's mainly how I find various contests. If you'd like to subscribe, send a blank email message to
F[email protected] (be sure to include the plus sign before "subscribe" in the address).

I send out the newsletter the first of each month and it always has many opportunities, lots of paying opportunities too (markets, contests, subscriber publishing news, etc.. It free and arrives in your emailbox. (The particular contest I entered this time is for people in my state.) I'm glad you're getting your work out there. You're a good and imaginative writer.

petergrimes

Hi Pamelyn, :)

wow cheers that's great. I find what you say really interesting, I think i will do a bit of research (note sometimes I really want to but keep on putting of, until years later I finally get there ;) ) But I find what you say about Aspasia, Xanthippe and Socrates really interesting, it'd fascinating for me for these were real people but they almost have melded in with the myths of the time. Also thanks so much for the offer of your newsletter, it would be far more welcome than half the stuff that arrives in my inbox, my email is the first letter of my real name which you know and then my surname (which you more than likely don't but I'll send it straight after this so you should be able to work out who I am), Thanks so much, I'm really on the look out for places to send to at the moment, building up for a proper push on these journals. So thanks for all the help, also well done once again, cheers Pamelyn, all the best mate, ta ra abit PG