Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My Poem Won a First Place (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I got news this afternoon that at least one of the poems I entered in an annual poetry contest has won a first place. Maybe more than one of my poems won. I will learn more in November, after the contests awards banquet where winners read their poems (or where someone reads their poems for them if they can't attend). I'll let you know which poem (or poems) won as soon as I hear. I'm delighted to get this news. Delighted, I tell you.:-D This is a contest I like to enter every year. Yes, delighted I am.

petergrimes

Yes Pamelyn, well done mate, I know how hard you worked for the competition so I'm really pleased for you. Great news. I hope it's one of the ones I saw you working on. Good luck on the night, I am very envious of the banquet. Well done, I'm delighted for you ;). All the best mate, PG :)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thank you, Peter. I like having you root for my work. I can't wait until the results are announced. Almost every year I've been lucky enough to win something for this contest and it's always fun imagining that I might win more than one prize (their note to me says I have one or more reasons to attend the banquet, which means maybe more than one winner. A couple of times I've won two prizes but two is the most so far. (Over the years I've managed win several first prizes, to be lucky enough to land several in second, third, honorable mention, or top ten.) I love seeing clearly how my entries fare.

I like this contest because I get more than one moment of rewarding pleasure. There's the pleasurable and not-so-easy struggle of writing the poems, the feeling of accomplishment as I use the annual contest to polish the poems (yet one more time), the pleasuring of trying to figure out which poem might work best in which category, and the pleasure of sending them off to the contest. Then comes the pleasure (or disappointment) of learning the results. Then at last comes the banquet where the winning poems are read. A few weeks later the winning poem arrives in the annual anthology along with the work of the other contest winners.

Thanks for the opportunity to tell myself (and you) why I do this every year. I would love it if everyone had access to something like this.

Last edited:

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thank you all (vranger, The glasshouse, Peter Grimes, ritudimrinautiyal, PiP, and Phil Istine). I found out which of my poems won a first prize: In Shadow Ways-- a rondel, of all things. I never thought that particular poem had a prayer. In fact, at the last minute I decided to include it. What a surprise that was. I also won 3 second places, 2 fourth places, 1 fifth, 1 6th, and 1 8th place.