Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My name's Addiction and I'm your friend (1 Viewer)

CarolFa

My name’s Addiction and I’m your friend
I’ll take your pain away til the very end
Please, spend time with me,
I’ll make sure to set you free

I’ll make you feel cozy and warm,
then in a moment’s notice,
I’ll make you my bitch
watch you fall, crawl and itch

Your life’s in my hands now
You’ll forever be mine and I’ll show you how
Hello, my name’s Addiction and I’m your friend

No one wants you anymore
They don’t know you anymore
Be with me and I’ll relieve you from the shame and blame,
cause no one wants to see your stupid games

I control your every thought
I destroy your spirit, your heart,
basically, your life’s work

Everyone around you thinks you got no power
They just want to see you take a shower.
Inside I know your crying
for all the lying
for always trying
but never shining,
just feel like dying

Only with me my friend, I’ll be with you til the very end
I’ll take your last breath then go seek another victim.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
You covered many of the issues of addiction and I appreciated your writing it from the point of view of Addiction. I think this was a poem that might do better without the end rhyme as it limits the choice of optimal words, and such rhyme helps it bounce along when an alternative mood might be more appropriate. But I do love the unusual perspective.

The reference to "itch" is intriguing as it can be about getting an itch to satisfy an addiction, or maybe about the more physical itching from opiate/opioid usage.

I hope to see many more poems from you, Carol, and I point you towards our monthly poetry challenge

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
This would have been a far more powerful poem IF you did not use the word "Addiction" ... not in the title and not in the poem....

Show your reader "addiction".... show your reader what addiction looks like, smells like..... tastes like, if you SHOW, then you will never need to tell... your reader will know.... ;)