Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My issue, their problem, and it's a shame. (2 Viewers)

dither

WF Veterans
We see and hear so many awful stories people going hungry and foodbanks asking for help, I would like to offer a small cash-donation. Have tried to contact the foodbank in my town and gave up. Yes there's a website, a local methodist church address, I messaged them via the site, no response. The foodbank has an e-mail address, I mailed them and they blocked it, their mailing-service doesn't like mine apparently. There are so many back-slapping and self-congratulating comments on the church website from fund-raising cliques, facebookers and tweeters, and I'm on the outside, was looking in but not now, How sad is that?

River Rose

We see and hear so many awful stories people going hungry and foodbanks asking for help, I would like to offer a small cash-donation. Have tried to contact the foodbank in my town and gave up. Yes there's a website, a local methodist church address, I messaged them via the site, no response. The foodbank has an e-mail address, I mailed them and they blocked it, their mailing-service doesn't like mine apparently. There are so many back-slapping and self-congratulating comments on the church website from fund-raising cliques, facebookers and tweeters, and I'm on the outside, was looking in but not now, How sad is that?

I hear you. Also understand your frustration. There are ppl who donate to causes and make sure to post it or tweet it out for a pat on the back or to make sure others are taking note of their “generosity”. It makes one wonder whom are your doing this for? Are u donating to make a difference in another’s life or are u donating to make yourself look and feel bigger?
My other issue is there are so many hands in the pot when I start dealing w the “big” cooperation fundraising,,,u never know if your donation is actually going to the ones who need it once it passes thru all the chains of command. So yes,,,I hear you.

dither

WF Veterans
Rose, what I would LIKE to do is put a few pounds in a brown sealed envelope, put it into someone's hand and be out of there asap, my anonymity in any dealings with these people would be paramount.
As for where the money actually goes, well yes, that's is of some concern. The foodbank is run by the salvation army who could, and might conceivably, decide where any donations go, where most needed, but most of the people that I saw patting each other on the back seemed to be just ordinary local townsfolk, although they seem to think very highly of themselves , and they do seem to be running short of certain food-stuffs.

Last edited:

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager

Post this comment on the church website / facebook page if you can. In my experience these sorts of things tend to be run by folks who struggle a bit with stuff like online payments and even mail in payments are probably a bit of a challenge for them; anything more than a biscuit tin doing the rounds on the tuesday meetup just isn't going to happen. Bezos cold probably rock up and offer to dump his fortune in their coffers, to be met with blank looks. No blame, just how it seems to go. See if you can find out the actual person (a treasurer would be a good start) who handles this stuff and contact them and ask how you can make them take your money. Good luck:)

dither

WF Veterans
Lol!

When I went out earlier I got a mobile number off a notice on a board somewhere, church? Sally? Can't remember already. :dejection:
And so, I sent it a text, just got a reply to it and now I don't dare to look.
How absurd is that?:hopelessness:
I can't believe how I'm feeling right now.
What the hell have I got to be afraid of.

I think you could be right bdc, we are a backwoods bunch out here in the sticks.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
And so, I sent it a text, just got a reply to it and now I don't dare to look.
How absurd is that?:hopelessness:
I can't believe how I'm feeling right now.
What the hell have I got to be afraid of.

People. People terrify me. They are far too much work, I rarely feel better after I've been around a bunch of them, and most of them are probably murderers.

:)

dither

WF Veterans
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS:

I just read that reply.

"Thank for your support etc. please could you send your donation to our treasurer", name and address given, just nine houses below mine.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

How amazing is that?

You just never know do you.

Now all I have to do is sneak out in the dead of night with my brown envelope and hopefully they'll never know. :cool:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
You are not the only one, my mate who is a producer had an e-mail from his bank telling him what his royalties were and he wouldn't open it in case it wouldn't pay the bills. Not that leaving it would make it any more or less of course, he just couldn't bear to find out.

You can't just leave a brown envelope of money, that is just to tempting for an honest man. If it's cash you want a receipt and if it's a cheque it will have your name on it. They will know who you are, but so what?

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
It's a worry but I can't be associated with this. Life eh?

My problem with association is that they keep coming back, I sent off a fiver once to a campaign against leprosy, it is a filthy disease and quite curable, we really ought to be able to wipe it out. Trouble was they kept sending me begging letters and newsletters for years after. Must have cost far more than the fiver I gave and made me feel my money was simply wasted. That and when you hear the salary the CEO of some of these charities draw, mind you at least a food bank is probably small and local, it's the big ones who keep whole advertising companies going that piss me off.

dither

WF Veterans
My problem with association is that they keep coming back, I sent off a fiver once to a campaign against leprosy, it is a filthy disease and quite curable, we really ought to be able to wipe it out. Trouble was they kept sending me begging letters and newsletters for years after. Must have cost far more than the fiver I gave and made me feel my money was simply wasted. That and when you hear the salary the CEO of some of these charities draw, mind you at least a food bank is probably small and local, it's the big ones who keep whole advertising companies going that piss me off.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

As for you comment regarding my leaving a brown envelope of money, and it really was just a few quid.

I did just that then sent a text asking if they would confirm that they had received it, I got a thank-you text from them this morning. That text might easily have been sent by the treasurer of course, I shall never know. And they might just respect my privacy, we shall see.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager

FYI Olly you do have a legal right to opt out and they have a legal obligation to take you off their mailing lists etl.

dither

WF Veterans
It's a pity that these people are so difficult to find, it smacks of exclusivity.

Some volunteer-worker knocked my mother's door a couple of months ago, asked if she needed anything and handed her a bunch of flowers with a small card explaining who they were and what they were about, such a nice gesture. It kept her smiling for days, simple but effective. Apparently there's a small group of people, relying on the good will of others, who keep an eye on the very old, running errands, handing out little boxes of chocs at christmas etc.

Who ARE these people and why had I not heard of them before now? They're worth a few pennies of ANYBODY'S money, but if you don't know where they are or even WHO they are, they do what they can.

I really had to go looking, searching, I can't be the only person in this town who wouldn't begrudge the less fortunate a half-decent meal.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Where I live it is a village thing. Is there a facebook page for your locality, there is a lot of information on our village facebook.

dither

WF Veterans
Is there a facebook page for your locality, there is a lot of information on our village facebook.

Mr.Buckle,

I just typed out a rather heated response and then thought better of it, I'm sorry, shall try not to comment further on the subject.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I am glad you thought better of it. I must confess my knowledge is usually second hand, the missus keeps a close eye and informs me, usually when I have my head in a book :) But there really is all sorts of stuff going on, not only connections to the sort of thing you mentioned, but warnings of people going round doing door to door scams and such. There was one the other week about someone driving round in an estate acting suspiciously, stopping and taking notes and photos, turned out to be a highways supervisor. It showed up the level of observation going on though, five or six people had seen him and were discussing the possibilities, if he had been 'Casing the joint' his car number was known and there was a fair description of him. There was also someone who keeps a horse offering well rotted manure to anyone who turned up with a shovel and a sack, now that's right up my street.

dither

WF Veterans
Mr.Buckle,
you only become aware of what little help there is out there when you suddenly find that you need it. Society's short-comings make me so angry, I seethe at the very mention of the term "social-services".