Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My Essay, A Close Look at Yasunari Kawabata's "Love Suicides" published in OPEN: JA&L (1 Viewer)

Greyson

absolutely love Kawabata, thank you for sharing your views! I'll have to give this one a read soon...

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thank you, Darren and Greyson. I've mostly just discovered Kawabata and that one story has already made me a fan. I hope to pick up a collection of his work soon. This little puzzle of a story is still puzzling me and I like that in a story. There's no easy way out, and no easy answers.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I had a brain slip or something. I said I want to get a collection of Yasunari Kawabata's work. I already *have* a collection of his work. I have Palm-of-the-Hand Stories (Translated from the Japanese by Lane Dunlop & J. Martin Holman.) I've read a few of his stories, enough to know he's a great writer. Now I intend to dig in hard and read all of them. "Love Suicides" really got to me. Sorry about the mistake.

According to one of the translator's the palm-of-the-hand story "appears to have been Kawabata's basic unit of composition from which his longer works were built, after the manner of linked-verse poetry, in which discrete verses are joined to form a longer poem, the linkage between each dependent on subtle shifts as the poem continues. Kawabata might have been, at heart, more of a 'palmist'--a writer of palm -of-the-hand stories. He's known in the West, says the translator, as a novelist mainly due to the huge success of Snow Country. What I find terribly fascinating is that in my collection there's a story titled "Gleanings from Snow Country" and it is a miniaturization of the novel that brought Kawabata so much fame.