Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My Book Progross So Far. (2 Viewers)

Denv12

As I havent written a book before I just want to get some idea of what to do at this point. So far this is what I've written:
18,387 words.
107,232 characters.
116 pages.
I was using wordpad then switched over to libreoffice5.3.
The book size I want to achieve is this:
14 cm x 22 cm x 16 cm(5.5 ins x 8.6 ins x 6.2 ins)
About 200 to 250 pages. That seems to be a good size book.Very common size book.

Thank you for stopping by.

Pete_C

WF Veterans
If you're thinking of producing a novel you want to aim for between 65,000 and 120,000 words; genre does impact on the numbers sometimes. The rest of IG isn't relevant. Just foucus on the right number of good words in the right order!

Sheijkoop

For a novel, aim between 55k and 80k words. However, there is nothing wrong with a novella, around 44k words. :)

stephanieheijkoopedition.com

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
As I havent written a book before I just want to get some idea of what to do at this point. So far this is what I've written:
18,387 words.
107,232 characters.
116 pages.
I was using wordpad then switched over to libreoffice5.3.
14 cm x 22 cm x 16 cm(5.5 ins x 8.6 ins x 6.2 ins)
About 200 to 250 pages. That seems to be a good size book.Very common size book.

Thank you for stopping by.

For a novel, aim between 55k and 80k words. However, there is nothing wrong with a novella, around 44k words. :)

stephanieheijkoopedition.com

To the OP, if you are aiming at publication, novellas may be a harder sell. In terms of numbers of pages, that depends on what font size and spacing you use; word counts are a more standard benchmark, and as said, that varies with genre. I write fantasy and understand that debuts for that top out typically at 120k. YA is closer to ... maybe 75K or something? Other genres somewhere between the two, but 18,000 words seems quite short for 116 pages, so your font may be quite large or widely-spaced. Don't worry about the physical size of it just yet; get it written first :)

Jay Greenstein

As I havent written a book before I just want to get some idea of what to do at this point.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you've not written fiction before, you should be aware that there are hundreds of traps for the new writer to fall into, beginning with the fact that you need to think back to your school years, and that the vast majority of the writing you did, and were taught to do, was in the form of reports, essays, letters, and papers, with damn few stories assigned. Plus, your teachers probably were not successful writers. So we leave school well versed in nonfiction skills but pretty well ignorant of how to write fiction for the page.

My point is that every field is filled with specialized knowledge and tricks of the trade. If you're writing for fun, and for yourself, you can write in any way you care to. But if you hope to be published, and have people be willing to pay to read your work, you need to know what the pros know, because they are your competition. So some time spent picking up a few of the tricks will save you a lot of rewriting, and cut the time to achieve publication dramatically.
Novels are sold, and classified, by word-count, not physical size. And that brings me to: Publication, and writing for it, is a business as well as a profession. So if you do not take the time to learn all aspects of the profession your chance of publication is pretty damn slim.

So keep writing, of course. But at the same time, as in any other field, success comes to those who earn it by following the scout motto: Be prepared.

Denv12

If you're thinking of producing a novel you want to aim for between 65,000 and 120,000 words; genre does impact on the numbers sometimes. The rest of IG isn't relevant. Just foucus on the right number of good words in the right order!
Hi Pete.

Thank you for your advice.I like your ideas.
I've got a long way to go yet.I'm taking my time to get everything right.
I'm avoid adding anything just to fill more pages.

Thanks again.
Denv12.

Denv12

Thanks Jay Greenstein.

There's a lot to learn in all professions.This one too.Its a learning experience.
As I write music too,its not perfect until its perfect either.
Denv12

Roac

As some of the other comments have said, just do the writing first and see how it all comes out in the end. I wouldn’t worry at all about the structure until you are done the writing. Maybe you will find that what you thought would be a novella has turned into a full-fledged novel or possibly even a series or that your story is much better as short story.

As well, the number of pages and size of the page will change as you move from your word processing software to a manuscript ready for submission because publishers will require certain fonts, font sizes, minimum margins, etc. All this ends up changing the number of pages anyway.

And I haven’t even gotten into how many words will be deleted/added/altered in the editing stage!

In my opinion, focus on the writing, learn and keep learning the craft to continually make your writing better but most importantly have fun with the whole process.

I hope this helps and good luck with your book!

Denv12

Hi Roac.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm glad you made your suggestions.I am enjoying writing and I'm pleased with what I've got so far.I figured for my own sake I'm on the right track.I'm getting the book together and writing what I want.It keeps getting better.

Thank you for your help.You advice has inspired me to keep going the way I am. I'll take one step at a time as usual.It feels right.

Regards Denv12.

Roac

Hi Roac.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm glad you made your suggestions.I am enjoying writing and I'm pleased with what I've got so far.I figured for my own sake I'm on the right track.I'm getting the book together and writing what I want.It keeps getting better.

Thank you for your help.You advice has inspired me to keep going the way I am. I'll take one step at a time as usual.It feels right.

Regards Denv12.

Denv12 you are very welcome.

And if you ever need of a beta reader, just send me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread