Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

My 1st FB Live appearance (my author interview) (1 Viewer)

Mikeyboy_esq

Last Thursday night, I appeared as a guest on another person's FB live event and I was interviewed about my latest book (a self-publishing guide). This was my first time to be in a FB live event, and I didn't know what to expect. The interview went well other than a minor sound glitch that I corrected within the first minute and occasionally my picture on the screen was blurry (not sure if that had anything to do with me using my iPhone 7 instead of a computer). Anyway, it lasted 40 minutes and the comments from the live audience seemed positive. I was shocked to find out that I sold 9 books that day and another 5 the next day (typically I sell 2 or 3 books per day). So that was a pleasant surprise! I think it probably helped that the person who interviewed me (Sharon Jenkins) has been doing FB live interviews every night for the past 2 months and she has started to build up a small, but loyal following. Anyway, I just wanted to share this experience and I hope to do more FB live events in the near future.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Last Thursday night, I appeared as a guest on another person's FB live event and I was interviewed about my latest book (a self-publishing guide). This was my first time to be in a FB live event, and I didn't know what to expect. The interview went well other than a minor sound glitch that I corrected within the first minute and occasionally my picture on the screen was blurry (not sure if that had anything to do with me using my iPhone 7 instead of a computer). Anyway, it lasted 40 minutes and the comments from the live audience seemed positive. I was shocked to find out that I sold 9 books that day and another 5 the next day (typically I sell 2 or 3 books per day). So that was a pleasant surprise! I think it probably helped that the person who interviewed me (Sharon Jenkins) has been doing FB live interviews every night for the past 2 months and she has started to build up a small, but loyal following. Anyway, I just wanted to share this experience and I hope to do more FB live events in the near future.

Hello Mikeyboy! Seems like this has been a good year, in terms of your writing career... I remember a few posts where you shared some good news, earlier in the year..so, congratulations... your dedication to your work is paying off... I would be so nervous to be interviewed... live...on the air... without a delete button ;)

Thanks for sharing your good news, I admire a person who goes after their dreams... I hope 2018 is even BETTER for you... stay safe, have a wonderful New Year... ;)

Mikeyboy_esq

Thank you, Firemajic! That is nice of you to say. I hope your 2018 is also good for you and your writings. I will say that 2017 has been a year of learning and growth and I hope 2018 brings continued learning and growth. As a young author (1st book came out a little over a year ago and 2nd came out 10 months ago), I'm still learning alot about marketing and reaching my intended audience. One thing I started doing in 2017 to help spread the word about my books is doing (unpaid) speeches to various groups about self-publishing (the topic of my 2nd book). Giving public speeches was definitely outside my comfort zone, but it was fun and I enjoyed it. If you asked me a year ago if I'd be willing and able to give public speeches about the advice in my books, I'd probably just laugh and say no way. For 2018, I've expanded my speech topics to include college teaching tips (the topic of my 1st book). I'm nervous about that b/c I'll be giving my first speech on this topic in late January to a group of my peers and supervisors at the college where I teach and then doing it again in early March at a large college teacher conference. I hope these speeches go well b/c I want to do a good job in front of my peers (regardless if I sell any books or not). Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Mikeyboy_esq

Will do. Thanks for your words of support! It means alot.

FWIW, I don't usually make new year resolutions, but I will say that my main author goals for 2018 are to give more public speeches related to my books (as discussed above) and also to write and self-publish book#3. I have an idea for book#3, but finding the time to start writing it has been a big challenge lately b/c I find I'm spending all of my spare time marketing my first two books and (now) preparing for my upcoming speeches. I'm sure I'll get to book#3 eventually, but its taking a bit more time than I wanted.

Anyway, thanks again for the positive feedback!

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
My mom used to say "If you want something done, give it to a busy man" it took me years to figure that one out... ;) Given what you accomplished in 2017, I have no doubt you will keep your resolution...

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi Mikey, please can I have a link to her FB page and Twitter. I can then follow and help spread the word? Well done to your for the interview. I wish we could conduct live interviews on WF.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hid Mikey_Boy,

The FB link is a dud :(

[h=2]Sorry, this content isn't available right now[/h]

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.