Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Murder in the Calais Coach Question (1 Viewer)

Shawn

WF Veterans
Poirot (Renamed due to lack of interest)

I just started reading some novels by Agatha Christie and I find I have absolutely no idea on how to pronounce "Poirot". I was wondering how you do.

For now I've just been pronouncing it poy-rO; but I have no experience in pronouncing dutch words.

Anyway, how did you like Murder in the Calais Coach or any other A. Christie books?

Last edited:

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
I just started reading some novels by Agatha Christie and I find I have absolutely no idea on how to pronounce "Poirot". I was wondering how you do.

For now I've just been pronouncing it poy-rO; but I have no experience in pronouncing dutch words.
It's French, not Dutch.

Some years ago I thought learning French would be beyond me due to what I assumed would be an inability on my part to accurately copy Gallic pronunciation. Then I learned how to pronounce ‘Paris’ and never looked back.

That ‘r’ in Poirot is the difficulty. The ‘t’ is silent, that’s easy. The ‘oi’ is always a ‘waaa’ sound, that’s easy. But that ‘r’ – it’s a guttural, back-of-the-throat thing. Forget the word for now, and do this: Take a good deep breath, so you have plenty of air inside to practice on. Pull your jaws and lips together, leaving a thin crack between your lips. Now make a throat-clearing, bubbling sound in the back of your throat. Exhale that as a sound. Don’t worry what it sounds like. It’s just the gurgling bit we’re working on. Now incorporate that ‘waaa’ sound ahead of the gurgle. Put an explosive P in front of it. Then tack a ‘wo’ or simply an ‘o’ on after the gurgle, and Bingo! Pwaaa-rrrrro.

Last edited: