Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

MULTIPULE ENDING ? GOOD OR BAD (1 Viewer)

Djwadsa

Hello,

I had a thought, if you have 2 ways of ending a book can you use both ? for example 2 final chapters. you main character has a choice that will change everything. yes he shoots the antagonist or joins him. having an ending you the reader feels better with. will this work or will it fail.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hello,

I had a thought, if you have 2 ways of ending a book can you use both ? for example 2 final chapters. you main character has a choice that will change everything. yes he shoots the antagonist or joins him. having an ending you the reader feels better with. will this work or will it fail.

Definitely an interesting idea! I could see it working. How would you present this to the reader?

Djwadsa

a splitter page before the chapter starts stating that the final part of the book is up to the reader. they will reed both as it is what i would do. but just the option kill or join. this is a thought only atm and have a long way to go before i get to the end of my book. but the idea comes from old school choice books. but if i get more people interested i will 100% do it

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
a splitter page before the chapter starts stating that the final part of the book is up to the reader. they will reed both as it is what i would do. but just the option kill or join. this is a thought only atm and have a long way to go before i get to the end of my book. but the idea comes from old school choice books. but if i get more people interested i will 100% do it

I really like the idea. Every one is always looking for an new idea, or genre. You might have to call the options something else, otherwise you kind of give away the ending. Like "tragic ending" or "happy ending". But I'm old fashioned. I like the freshness of this...keep it going.

Djwadsa

yeah i agree i will come up with a named 2 endings. but i feel the idea of the book is great and wil make people think a bit

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Hello,

I've never seen it planned in a novel, although I've seen it in a movie (Clue).

When I say planned, I'm aware that sometimes editors demand a revised ending as they prepare a book for publication. In Robert Heinlein's "Podkayne of Mars", he killed the MC at the end. No one at the publisher liked that, so he made a minor revision that left her injured, and would survive. MUCH later, an edition of the novel was published with the original published ending, but also tacked on Heinlein's previously unpublished ending. After reading both, I agreed with the publisher. I preferred the original published ending, and reading the unpublished ending did nothing for me.

My personal opinion as a reader? I wouldn't care for it. If I've invested the time and (potentially) emotional commitment to get to the end of a story, I'm going to want some closure. If I found two endings at the end of a book, I'd feel cheated, and I'd be done with that author. Just my reaction, but it's the only reaction I can speak to. :)

Now, if you did something like have the MC think over one of the endings (write it out as the MC considers it), then rejects it for the real ending, I'd have closure, and you'd have gotten to write both endings. LOL

Djwadsa

well that dose makes me think, if i was to plan for the protagonist to see both side of the story and help the reader to see both sides then i can create to frames of mind for the reader then i can let them choose, but yes it will be down to a publisher to choose which one would be better. i wish someone would read and respond to my blurbe lol, so i can see what people think of my idea

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Can't say as I'd go for it. Reading requires commitment, and if an author can't decide how the journey ends it leads me to suspect a lack of confidence - either in the story itself or their ability to tell it. If I knew beforehand a book had two endings I can safely say I'd pass. If I found out thirty pages from the end...I'd be irate, and it's possible the writer would have seen their last dollar from me.

But I'm particular that way.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
There are actually a lot of books on the market in which the reader makes choices throughout, including the end. But ONLY having the end as an alternative? I'm not sure it would resonate that well. And you'd have to write in so much ambiguity on the way to those two endings. A book doesn't just 'end', it gradually and steadily leads up to an end. Everything in the story is building to that end, so everything in your book would have to be building to two endings ...

Yeah, I think what AZ is talking about is a choose-your-own-adventure book, where the reader can choose different story routes as they read. Usually there's many possible endings. But I think in an ordinary novel, most readers expect some kind of close; even if that close is ambiguous, they expect solid ambiguity.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Yeah, I think what AZ is talking about is a choose-your-own-adventure book, where the reader can choose different story routes as they read. Usually there's many possible endings. But I think in an ordinary novel, most readers expect some kind of close; even if that close is ambiguous, they expect solid ambiguity.

There are many possible endings, but each person's choices only lead to one at a time.