Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

multiple projects (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Do you like working on multiple projects at once? Or do you like to focus on one project, finish it then move on?
Or...do you start multiple projects but have a hard time finishing them?
I'd like to hear your personal thoughts and why you either do or don't work on more than one story/ writing project and how it works for you. :)

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I have a handful of projects, some writing-related, others not. I do try and focus on one general thing in each area though, otherwise I just don't think I'd ever complete anything.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I can do it but I refuse to. Back in the day, on another writing forum, I had so many different styles some people doubted I'd written them. Each was so different with no commonality to tie them to ME. Hence me taking a year to establish my OWN and consistent voice, which is an amalgam of every voice I've tried. I can now spot a commonality, which is pleasing.

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I can do it but I refuse to do. Back in the day, on another writing forum, I had so many different styles some people doubted I'd written them. Each was so different with no commonality to tie them to ME. Hence me taking a year to establish my OWN and consistent voice, which is an amalgam of every voice I've tried. I can now spot a commonality, which is pleasing.
So with the things that you had wrote, were the styles kind of "copies" of other writers styles? Was it you experimenting or was the lack of commonality not on purpose? (or mix of both)
For me, I just write what i'm feeling. I dont know if I have a distinct style other than novice haha-I think I'm starting to see a budding style, but I need to write more stories to find out

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have a number of projects on the go but I don't work on them simultaneously. If I come to a sticking point with one, I'll take a break from that and go back to another or even start a new one.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I have a number of projects on the go but I don't work on them simultaneously. If I come to a sticking point with one, I'll take a break from that and go back to another or even start a new one.
I haven't worked on a whole lot of projects but the couple I have, I get to a good stopping point, work on something else and go back to the other one for editing/revising. Seems to work for smaller projects. Not sure about longer works 😆

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
So with the things that you had wrote, were the styles kind of "copies" of other writers styles? Was it you experimenting or was the lack of commonality not on purpose? (or mix of both)
For me, I just write what i'm feeling. I dont know if I have a distinct style other than novice haha-I think I'm starting to see a budding style, but I need to write more stories to find out
It would depend on what mood I was going for. I'd hear this voice and rhythm in my head, listen to it for a while and then imagine how saying it out loud should be expressed in words. It was also to do with the genre, but I don't mean in terms of vocabulary ... that's inevitable. You don't often stand akimbo, guffaw or quaff beer in ordinary fiction, but you do in fantasy. :)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
It would depend on what mood I was going for. I'd hear this voice and rhythm in my head, listen to it for a while and then imagine how saying it out loud should be expressed in words. It was also to do with the genre, but I don't mean in terms of vocabulary ... that's inevitable. You don't often stand akimbo, guffaw or quaff beer in ordinary fiction, but you do in fantasy. :)
Well, if you were writing several genres then it would make sense to why they wouldn't have commonality. Though, I guess regardless of what is being written there should be a "thread/print" that would mark the story as the writers.
So are you planning on sticking to a particular genre?

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Well, if you were writing several genres then it would make sense to why they wouldn't have commonality. Though, I guess regardless of what is being written there should be a "thread/print" that would mark the story as the writers.
So are you planning on sticking to a particular genre?
No, certain words fit certain genres better but that hasn't got anything to do with voice/style. You can have a single style and write any genre, which is what I'm working on. As I said, I used to have many styles but that meant working hard at the voice before I got stuck into the meat of the story. I don't want to do that any more. I want to hit the ground running with an established Az voice.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
No, certain words fit certain genres better but that hasn't got anything to do with voice/style. You can have a single style and write any genre, which is what I'm working on. As I said, I used to have many styles but that meant working hard at the voice before I got stuck into the meat of the story. I don't want to do that any more. I want to hit the ground running with an established Az voice.
Gotcha I was a little confusion.
When you brought up Genre. I was thinking you were saying thats what made ya sound so different.
I agree with you regarding voice/style. Still working on my own

KatPC

I think @KeganThompson a voice develops in time the more you write. Like @TheMightyAz you can write different genres, use words that suit that area, but that voice will inevitable be yours.

It is interesting that so many different styles confused others @TheMightyAz , i think this highlights the importance of having your own style and voice.

Sorry for side tracking but to the original post I think it depends on what you want to attain. There was a period where I was in a creative phase, and had 4 mini stories on the go. I started on one before having more ideas and in the end, over a 10 day period I wrote 12k+ words on 4 short stories, whilst working 6 days a week. Obviously revisiting the stories after, I found 3 I considered poor, they never came out right, but served as great practice, ones I will return, to totally amend, there were stories in the mess.

One I liked and had nicer feedback, one I will improve with further drafts so you can have many projects on the go.

Last edited:

Lawless

Do you like working on multiple projects at once? Or do you like to focus on one project, finish it then move on?

I generally do a lot of multi-tasking, too much so, I know, but I'm too impatient to do one and the same thing for a long time.

When I began serious novel-writing, I knew I absolutely mustn't spread myself too thin, yet I would get bored working on only one project. So I decided to select two most important novel ideas and alternate between them, writing the first one on one day and the second one the next day. All the others would have to wait for their turn.

It went really well for some time, but then I found myself increasingly excited about the novel #1 and less so about #2. So I gradually ended up working on #1 most of the time and only occasionally on #2. It's okay because #1 was more important anyway.

In my work as a translator, I like to divide my time between 2 or 3 different texts each day, unless of course something is urgent.

Blog posts... completely at random when I'm in the mood. Sometimes one every couple days, sometimes nothing for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.