Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Mostly healed from depression so I've started writing again (1 Viewer)

I had the (mild) blues for a while after graduating college. It took me two years to stop rationalizing and to admit I needed help, and then another year of working on my mental health before the blues brightened up. Needless to say, a lot of things fell to the wayside, including my hobbies.

I'm finally in a place where I feel good. I'm writing again, among other things. For a long while I believed my voice didn't really matter and questioned whether or not I should be writing in the first place. Now, though, I recognize that it's one of the ways I express creativity, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Working on a perspective shift has been difficult, but it's definitely worth it. I'm trying to integrate a positive mindset into every aspect of my life. Because of that, it's important to me that I write while adhering to the Buddhist principle of Right Speech. If I can add joy to one person's life through my words, even momentarily, then those words were worth writing.

So hello! I'm excited to be here. At the moment I'm interested in writing shorter things, like flash fiction or prose poetry. I'm also experimenting with figures of rhetoric (a la The Elements of Eloquence) to make my writing more interesting.

Thanks for having me--I'm excited to be here!

KeganThompson

Welcome! I had the blues to for a while... I dont think I fully realized how bad it messed my creativity. I moved out and been wanting to write again for a while but couldn't get myself to doo it. 6 months ago I decided to give writing and story telling another go. Still working hard on it. :)
I totally understand where you are coming from. Glad you are back into your hobbies. I joined the forum a month ago and people here are really great at helping with craft and understanding structure ect. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've dealt with PTSD for decades - it's eased over time and I can catch it before I have a panic attack (usually). Writing helped me deal with past trauma, telling the story helped me heal... at least partially - I doubt it will ever be complete.
So, WELCOME! This is a good place well stocked with smart, educated, and understanding people.

Joker

I had the (mild) blues for a while after graduating college. It took me two years to stop rationalizing and to admit I needed help, and then another year of working on my mental health before the blues brightened up. Needless to say, a lot of things fell to the wayside, including my hobbies.

I'm finally in a place where I feel good. I'm writing again, among other things. For a long while I believed my voice didn't really matter and questioned whether or not I should be writing in the first place. Now, though, I recognize that it's one of the ways I express creativity, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Working on a perspective shift has been difficult, but it's definitely worth it. I'm trying to integrate a positive mindset into every aspect of my life. Because of that, it's important to me that I write while adhering to the Buddhist principle of Right Speech. If I can add joy to one person's life through my words, even momentarily, then those words were worth writing.

So hello! I'm excited to be here. At the moment I'm interested in writing shorter things, like flash fiction or prose poetry. I'm also experimenting with figures of rhetoric (a la The Elements of Eloquence) to make my writing more interesting.

Thanks for having me--I'm excited to be here!

Another person interested in Buddhism, huh? I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist, but I've always like Buddhism and Stoicism.

Glad to have you.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm so glad you found us. This is a great place to connect and feel connected to the world. I have struggled with depression as well. Writing is a place where I find well-being, and spending time with like-minded folks has been healing for me.

I look forward to seeing you on the boards. Welcome!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi welcome.
I fought, and still struggle with depression today.
Depression made me agoraphobic.
For years, and years, I had stopped writing.
Now I'm here, I try not to be destroyed by anything or anyone anymore.
Welcome to the family, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Writing for me is like going outside into a world of wonder. My characters are people I know, and their world I see and taste and smell as I write. I do put them through severe trials - but I think they forgive me, after all, I'm the one that brought them to life.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I'll raise my hand to join the crowd who have had bouts of depression. I always found that a good way out was to start by setting a series of small goals, and feel increasingly successful about life as I meet them. Once I learned to not just write, but finish, that became a productive and satisfying way to set both short-term and long-term goals, and I get a real kick out of typing that last line and feeling good about a piece of writing, whether it's a short piece for a contest here, or a novel.

It's invigorating to hear from someone who has faced that trial and overcome it. Welcome to Writing Forums, and know you're going to find a lot of friends here. :)

Another person interested in Buddhism, huh? I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist, but I've always like Buddhism and Stoicism.

Glad to have you.

My grandparents were Buddhist, but when they immigrated to America their children were given Christian names and were raised in Catholicism, as was I. My father is supportive of me exploring my Buddhist roots, so that's something I've been doing for a while now!

I'll raise my hand to join the crowd who have had bouts of depression. I always found that a good way out was to start by setting a series of small goals, and feel increasingly successful about life as I meet them. Once I learned to not just write, but finish, that became a productive and satisfying way to set both short-term and long-term goals, and I get a real kick out of typing that last line and feeling good about a piece of writing, whether it's a short piece for a contest here, or a novel.

It's invigorating to hear from someone who has faced that trial and overcome it. Welcome to Writing Forums, and know you're going to find a lot of friends here. :)

You're totally correct! That's why I'm trying to write shorter things first. I think that'll really build up my confidence and get me back into the groove of writing. And I like your point about finishing projects--following through with my writing is one thing I really want to work on.

It's always good to be reminded that I'm not alone. Thank you everyone who commented and welcomed me! I'm happy to be here.