Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Most Inspiring Book? (1 Viewer)

RebelGoddess

What book (or books) have inspired your writing the most?

Could be plot wise or just that it was so good it made you want to write.

For me it's anything by Jasper Fforde and Jane Eyre .

Racheal

Inspiration

Think I may be a bit lightweight, as I have never found any classical work inspriational. My inspiration for writing comes from Robin Hobb and Frank Herbert.

RebelGoddess

Think I may be a bit lightweight, as I have never found any classical work inspriational.

LOL! Definitely not!

It took 3 readings for me to even start liking Jane Eyre !

I tend to not be inspired by the classics either, but I just love the story of Jane Eyre's coming of age.

I'm also inspired by the author, Charlotte Brontë, especially how she (and her sister) had to publish her novels under the pseudonym Currer Bell.

I'm also inspired by J.K. Rowling. Not so much her novels themselves (and especially not her writing, LOL!) but her as a person and an author.

I find the story of how she was successful despite having a lot of things against her very motivating.

In addition to that, I think that her creativity is wondrous.

Also, I find that random good passages, chapters, or even sentances in any novel I'm reading can be inspiring. Sometimes I'll read something and it'll just make me want to write.

I guess a lot of my inspiration in general comes from the pages of books.

Racheal

S

steve6060

I never even thought about writing anything until I read Cormac McCarthy. Suttree has to be the book that inspires me the most. Thinking about a story when your done could become a full time job if you read one of his books. Sure it's great to have an exciting or cool story, but getting meaning like that into writing is my number one goal.

SevenWritez

Junot Diaz, for making me realize you don't know need to be detailed and exasperating to be exceptionally poignant (Drown, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao)

And though this next guy isn't a "writer," in the usual sense, he is in his own way a story telling poet, so I'll include him (look at my avatar).

They're the two major influences over me as a writer; write what you want, how you want, and hold no punches once it comes time to jump into dark territory. Great people, both of them.

Last edited:

FMK

I'm told I draw a lot of my writing style from Eoin Colfer, and I can't disagree, even though there's no denying that I'm more descriptive than Colfer is. All I have to do is read a page or two from any Artemis Fowl book and I'm filled with my own creative energy. More specifically, the one that inspires me most is The Lost Colony.

But what motivated me to start writing wasn't even a book, it was a fanfiction. One of my friends used to write stories for the Legend of Zelda all the time, and it always struck me how he was/is so much better than most of the professional authors I've read. So I figured, if he can do it, so can I. I'm glad I was right. ^_^

Last edited:
L

Le Lila [x] ?

I think Deb Caletti's books are where I draw inspiration for writing from. Especially The Nature of Jade.

Pardot Kynes

Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein (I think I spelled his name right). Helped me to gain some perspective on belief, and how each person believes they are right, regardless of anything else.

Dune, by Frank Herbert, was also inspirational.

The most inspirational book I have ever read though, was by an 1800's Adventure Novel Writer- Knight of the White Cross, by G. A. Henty. It really gave a perspective on duty, honesty, and respect, that most modern novels do not give.