Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Moral dilemma (1 Viewer)

Scarecrow

I want to participate in NaNoWriMo. It sounds interesting, and challenging. I find the idea of writing a novel without having to worry about quantity especially alluring.

However, I'm already writing an online novel (see sig). I have perhaps twenty or thirty faithful readers. And I'm getting lazy about updating. I've been writing it for twenty months now, and I'm only halfway done. I update maybe once every two weeks.

Can I, then, in good conscience, dedicate myself to another writing project while faithful readers want me to write my ongoing novel?

Kira the wanderer

Its all about what you can handle. I write throughout the year, usually allowing myself to go on "break" (being lazy) during the summer time and then I prepare for NaNoWriMo. I put my other projects, such as my story Fractured, on hold and I get back to it later. If you can manage updating your story and doing NaNoWriMo it would be very good. You don't have to do it for straight sittings either, you can stop after a given time, take a break and then do writing not NaNo related.

Do not emotionally strain yourself, try to get the words done with the best quality you can muster.

I

Ilan Bouchard

If you post for your website that you'll be taking a month off to write your story and give a few updates as to how NaNoWriMo is going for you, they probably won't mind. They're reading your stuff because you're a writer; you don't have to worry about them denying you of that.

valeca

Patron
If you haven't already thought about what you'd like to write for NaNo (assuming you end up doing it), here's an idea that might keep your readers happy, and help with your moral dilema:

Take a character from your online novel and tell their story for NaNo. Make up a story for them that brings them to the point of where your current novel begins. It might be fun for your readers to learn a little bit more about one of the characters they're reading about already, and it also might help you get inside the character's head a little more.

Or, take a seemingly innocent moment from the novel--something that really doesn't have a lot to do with the main plot (like something/someone one of your characters has seen in passing or remembers/reminices about), and make it into it's own story.

Or just explain to your readers NaNo is a 4 week commercial break, and they'll be returned to their regularly schedualed novel after that time.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
However, I'm already writing an online novel (see sig). I have perhaps twenty or thirty faithful readers. And I'm getting lazy about updating.
This is awesome! How great that you have faithful readers... I think that says a lot right there. I think you're getting some good advice here because you'll get a kick in the butt from NaNo (I've done it twice, never successfully, but did write more than I ever had before) and still keep your readers apprised of what's going on.

Sounds to me like the only problems you have here are good ones. :D

Scarecrow

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm still considering doing NaNo, and keeping my other project run alongside it. November is a break month for university to me and I STILL can't find a part-time job so I should have enough time.

The only problem is if my idea for a novel isn't good enough to work out. But then, I'm only doing it so I can say I did. I'm not exactly expectign to get a good novel out of it.

damien_frosst

Scarecrow said:
The only problem is if my idea for a novel isn't good enough to work out. But then, I'm only doing it so I can say I did. I'm not exactly expectign to get a good novel out of it.

That is more or less the point of NaNoWriMo. To encourage you to write. Getting something written is the goal. Getting something that'd be publishable isn't. Sure, it'd be nice to write for a month and have something everyone would read, but it's just not realistic.

Give NaNo a try, if it doesn't work, then I don't see where you've lost anything other than a bit of time.