Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Monster love interests: to do or not? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fine_Man42

I've been seriously thinking about the concept of the "monster love story"; that is, a romance that involves one or both parties being explicitly not human, at least in the traditional sense. The most obvious example is Beauty and the Beast, but I think that story is often misunderstood when taken at face value (learning to love someone literally turns him human and both parties live happily ever after). Because that story has its roots in medieval social structures, it threatens to repeat outdated notions about relationships and love.

Then there's the gender of the monster. I don't even want to begin to get into that slope.

I guess I'm wondering whether or not the concept can be misused, like what real-life quality being abstracted won't be read as negative as opposed to something else that the author intended?

moderan

WF Veterans
Of course it can be misused. There are thousands of free kindle books in which it is misused. I have one where the object of prurient interest is a swarm of bees. Lots of dinosaurs and werewolves and sasquatches.
And there are some in which the subject is handled more delicately. It's not new territory.

moderan

WF Veterans
You read a review? Hell, I just looked at the title. So it's false advertising? I'd rather there were bees. I almost cracked that one open to see. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.