Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Modern magic/fantasy? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davana

When someone says fantasy you think of J.R.R Tolkien style dwarves and hobbits and a medieval fantasy land where tiny people roam. What I want is magic but in a modern world. I want people to merge magic with elecricity and science. I want people to use wandless magic. What do you think of this idea? Would it still be considered fantasy or would it be called paranormal?

Arik

That Idea is very common in alot of fantasy actually. Things you can look at is japanese anime, steampunk, final fantasy style worlds and so on. It is quite possible to have your science and fantasy at the same time without going paranormal ^_^

Davana

Ohhhh, urban fantasy. That's the word. I think I've heard it before but I totally forgot the word. Thank you :D

Jeko

WF Veterans
I've been reading a lot of urban fantasy. One thing I've come across is that setting fantasy in the 'modern world' isn't actually done much.

Rather, authors craft their own versions of our world and decide what gets put in it. Whether you try to do this or not, you usually end up with something which at face-value seems modern, but really isn't like our world at all. That's when you have a good world to work with.

Davana

That is kind of what I'm doing. It's still modern but I want to tweak it a little bit to make it a bit more interesting. I mean, apparently what I'm writing is urban fantasy but I'm putting in horror, adventure and even a little bit of sci fi (And that's when the adventure comes in). Just a little bit of sci-fi. I'm thinking something along the lines of my protagonist accidentally opening the portal to a planet identical to Earth except that the humans on that planet have to live in spaceships above it because sea levels had risen and the whole planet was under water. Billions of living creatures had died, architecture was destroyed e.t.c

Jeko

WF Veterans
Horror gets in everywhere nowadays. Devices of tension, fear and atmosphere always help flesh out the true nature of a character.

Miku

I'm kind of doing the same thing, considering my favorite genre is contemporary fantasy. I'm just starting off with my story and am focusing on world building. What I love most about it is exploring what our world would be like with fantastical elements thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.