Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Modern classics from the 20th century (1 Viewer)

Luzici

I'm searching for new book recommendations, so could you please name me some of your favourite 20th century novels? I'm especially interested in Asian and African literature, just to broaden my horizon a bit.

ENDER'S GAME

Every person I meet who has not read Ender's Game gets a three hour oh-em-gee-best-book-ever-why-haven't-you-read-it-why lecture.

And I don't even like science fiction.

Orson Scott Card = way better than Victor Hugo or Alexandre Dumas or any of those too-obsessed-with-Bonaparte bullcrap French authors. I mean maybe they'd be better if they didn't have to be translated from French to English for me to read them but still GAH.

Okay I just completely derailed the topic. Sorry.

E

Edgewise

For Whom the Bell Tolls- Hemmingway

Ham on Rye- Bukowski

And of course, can't forget:

One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest- Kesey

Buddy Glass

I'm searching for new book recommendations, so could you please name me some of your favourite 20th century novels? I'm especially interested in Asian and African literature, just to broaden my horizon a bit.

Asian:

Yukio Mishima, Kensaburo Oe (spelt wrong, I'm sure), Salman Rushdie, V.S. Naipaul, Amos Oz. Perhaps even Haruki Murakami.

Sorry, not too familiar with African lit.

ClancyBoy

The Snow Country by Kawabata Yasunari is my favorite Japanese novel. Actually everything he does is just beautiful. You should read his short stories, too.

When I come across a 20th century Chinese novel worth recommending I'll let you know :p

jesterscourt

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Slaughter-house Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft (it's a novella, but close enough)

Pete_C

WF Veterans
Confederacy of Dunces - John kennedy O'Toole

Sometimes a Great Notion - Ken Kesey

The Mulatta and Misterfly - Miguel Angel Asturias

M

mka321

Sorry, I can't help you with the Asian and African literature, but here are some good 20th century novels:

A Clockwork Orange -- Anthony Burgess
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- Ken Kesey
Lord of the Flies -- William Golding
To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
Slaughterhouse 5 -- Kurt Vonnegut
Anything by John Steinbeck

M

mka321

Sorry, I can't help you with the Asian and African literature, but here are some good 20th century novels:

Anything by John Steinbeck.

well, it isnt my favorite-i dont have any that havent already been said but 'the eyes of the world' by Harold Bell Wright. NOT: 'the eye of the world' by Robert Jordan

The Hack

Anything by John Steinbeck.

Can't go wrong with any of those, IMO. Five of my favorites, for sure. I would also add that most John Irving books are worth the read (most noteably, A Prayer for Owen Meany and Ciderhouse Rules).

granty1

A Brave New World

By Aldous Huxley

Got to be the best science fiction novel ever written

In the same way as '1984' by Orwell some of the future prediction stuff is astonishing...

Swift84

These will treat you well:

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
Ulysses, by James Joyce
The Pearl, by John Steinbeck
The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway
Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke
The End of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Night, by Elie Wiesel

Slaughterhouse Five...and most Vonnegut works

Crime and Punishment baby (that's 20th century, right?)

Doors of Perception and Brave New World....Huxley

And finally one of the best books I have ever read...
East of Eden - Steinbeck Action

For me with Squalor

SALINGER (pretty much anything)

Paulo Coelho - 11 minutes (must read)

Joseph Heller - Catch 22 (LOL)

Douglas Adams - A Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (not for everyone, but pretty genius)

Milan Kundera - The unbearable lightness of being (amazing book)

(plus mka321-s list):D Have fun