Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Mockumentary script (1 Viewer)

Kimba

I've been thinking of writing a mockumentary. I know that there is a different script format for documentaries and one for dramas. Given that mockumentary is a drama presented in a documentary form, I'm just wondering if anyone knows which script format is used.

mammamaia

if it's a 'drama' then it's fictional and goes in standard screenplay format...

fyi, some 'scripted' documentaries are written in close to the same format, but will necessarily contain more inserts of film clips and VOs than 'created' action/dialog... that said, a documentary is more the creation of the documentarian and editor, than a writer... and thus will contain extensive video and audio direction, where a fictional script will not...

for your 'mockumentary' you would use the standard screenplay format... check out 'the truman show' for an example...

Last edited:

Kimba

Actually, while The Truman Show was like a documentary, it was presented as a ficitonal piece on screen. A mockumentary, on the other hand, is presented as a real documentary but with a fictitious undertones - that is, the incidents presented in it will be entirely fictitious. :)

Hence my question about the script format. Thanks for your reply though.

mammamaia

it's considered by many in the industry to be at least a hybrid mockumentary, as the 'show' parts definitely fit the term... i mentioned it, as the script is available and can be helpful in re planning your project...

for full-fledged mockumentaries, check out scripts of 'the blair witch project' and the 'jersey devil'-based flick, 'the last broadcast'... if you can find them...