Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Memories like oranges… (1 Viewer)

dannyboy

WF Veterans
Days litter the tree
ripe and heavy, golden oranges
plucked – at night I see
the little child, knees knocking
two twigs in the wind.

It is the distance that surprises,
the ladder needed to reach out
and pluck, hold, bring close to the nose
smell...next the thumbs pushed in
the orange prised apart
juices everywhere, devoured then
until each half is a peel turned inside out
the flesh stuck to teeth, to hands.

The mind yearns until one day
the mind is marooned
in that tree, the world far down below
sometimes a fall; mind lands in the present.

Mother does that
and then slips away again, up into that tree
surrounded by oranges
leaving children stranded below
craning necks, watching her shrink
into her past and the future without.

Last edited:

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
These last two stanza's hit close to the bone for me, danny. I have just gone through this with my own mom, she passed last April and had been disappearing into that tree for several years. I love how you've worded it. Perfect.

The mind yearns until one day
the mind is marooned
in that tree, the world far down below
sometimes a fall; mind lands in the present.

Mother does that
and then slips away again, up into that tree
surrounded by oranges
leaving children stranded below
craning necks, watching her shrink
into her past and the future without.

stony

I really enjoyed this one, Danny. I don't feel the need to comb through it and try to pick out any flaws. I read it about three times and it's beautiful. Awesome writing!

apple

WF Veterans
the poem feels holy to me. Like a melancholy prayer of sweetness and love . It's so lush, yet there is so much space to feel and imagine. That fragrant orange tree is beautiful holding mother and memories. thank you danny.