Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Memoirs of a Geisha (1 Viewer)

T

The Cactus

^ Yes, movie will star Zhang ZiYi (there was much uproar about a non-Japanese actress as the lead role, but I really don't see what the fuss is about) and will be directed by Steven Spielberg. Will look forward to it.

As for the book, I had to read it two times to fully get the meaning (there's a lot of subtlety). But now that I understand it, I'll say that it's actually a very tragic story. Despite the charmed life Sayuri leads as a geisha, her lifestyle is actually very oppressive in a lot of not-immediately-seen ways. A commentary on the culture, maybe? Who knows.

Highly recommended.

eleda

I loved this book. I consider it a treasure, a story depicting a lifestyle chosen for young girls whose parents were too poor to care for them. The life of the Geisha was all that these little girls knew. The imagery of this story came to life in my mind, the silk kimonos, the land, the theater, their living quarters, the bitchiness of the geishas, trying desperately to outdo eachother, trying to hold onto their youth and to their clientele for fear of being thrown out because they're too old, back into a life that they had escaped from in the first place. The main character had no choice but to surrender to this fate. She was bought and sold. Her body was no longer her's' it belonged to the house.

I've seen the trailer to the movie as well. It looked pretty good to me.

Thanks for bringing this up.

krazyklassykat

Ooh, I really want to see the movie. Tell me, should I read the book first? I'm usually one for that, but I'd never heard of the book until I heard of the movie.

VinrAlfakyn

krazyklassykat said:
Ooh, I really want to see the movie. Tell me, should I read the book first? I'm usually one for that, but I'd never heard of the book until I heard of the movie.

Same here.

Verkleefd

I think that this book, though good and realistic, can't be turned into one of the greatest contemporary novels. It's a book. In fact, there is a more wider depiction of geishas in some of the works of Japan's greatest writers. Even more fruitful for the writing process of everyone.

Indigo

I really enjoyed this book, I read it in a day and a half. I find it incredible how an American man can get so into the mind of a Japanese girl, it was very well written and I can't wait for the film to come out.