Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Maths Question. (2 Viewers)

Potty

WF Veterans
For my *cough*story*cough* I need to know how to work something out...

My character and his wife are decided to split their finances for various reasons. The husband earns more that the wife so to make it fair the husband will be paying a greater percentage toward the household bills.

Let's say the husband earns £1327 a month and the wife £760. Out of a hundred, what percentage of the overall income is the husband earning? He will then pay that percentage toward the bills. If that makes sense?

Thanks!

TJ1985

According to Bing: 760 is 57.2720422% of 1327.

Were it not for the internet, I'd be lost, lol.

Bruno Spatola

Because the full word is mathematics, I think. Some argue that 'mathematics' isn't a plural, so it should be math, not maths. I've adopted math, myself.

I might be wrong.

Deafmute

WF Veterans
he is making 63.5% of the total household income.

calculation is done as follows

1327+760 =2087 which is the total household income

1327/2087= 0.635 which converts to 63.5%

dither

WF Veterans
Completely irrelevant post here. Why do English folk pluralize math?
To my mind, i went to school and did "sums?". Not "A" sum but sums, as in more than one. Yes?
I guess we just see things differently.
Life eh?

Last edited:

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
For my *cough*story*cough* I need to know how to work something out...

My character and his wife are decided to split their finances for various reasons. The husband earns more that the wife so to make it fair the husband will be paying a greater percentage toward the household bills.

Let's say the husband earns £1327 a month and the wife £760. Out of a hundred, what percentage of the overall income is the husband earning? He will then pay that percentage toward the bills. If that makes sense?

Thanks!

OK.

1327+760 = 2087 (=combined total income)

1327/2087 = 0.63584 (+) = 63.584% (using a calculator)

1327/2087 = X/100 >> (1327x100)/2087 = 132700/2087 = X = 63.584 (+) doing the division.

So, the husband's percentage of the total income is 63.584%

The wife's percentage of the total income can be worked out the same way, or much more simply now by simple subtraction.

100 - 63.584 = 36.416% is the wife's percentage of the total income.

So, hubby will end up paying a bit less than two thirds of the household bills, and the missus will pay a bit more than one third.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
Dang Cran, good at maths too??
Only once upon a time, TK. I won both the maths and English prizes in Year 8 (what was then in South Oz, First Year High), but only made third best in science. But at uni, years later, calculus? partial differentials? modulus whatevers? No ... brain stopped functioning.

Same with Physics (didn't help that my disability meant that my first experiment testing visual v audible signals stunned the class by coming out backwards). Chemistry was good, IT fair, but Professional English and Earth Sciences were magic.

TJ1985

Dang Cran, good at maths too??

I'm beginning to think the only thing he can't do is issue pain on command to other humans and read minds. Though, the other day I thought about disagreeing with a something he said and I had a cramp in my left leg.

It's something to think [carefully] about...

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
TJ, stick around. He can definitely issue pain on command. Ask any veteran. I've been doing some experimenting on the mind reading and so far, he hasn't a clue all the mischief I've been thinking of doing, so I think that is one thing he can't do. LOL.

Yep, the cramp is DEFINITELY Cran (although I've heard Sam can also issue pain on command...so might have been Sam.)

I'm beginning to think the only thing he can't do is issue pain on command to other humans and read minds. Though, the other day I thought about disagreeing with a something he said and I had a cramp in my left leg.

It's something to think [carefully] about...

Crowley K. Jarvis

WF Veterans
I've never heard it pronounced plural my entire life... always said Math. Huh.

And my father was incredible at math, which he called it as well. He did the speed competitions to see how fast you could do it. Learned shortcuts.

He has a lot less hair though. Haha.

Potty

WF Veterans
Right, I proposed the math(s) to my characters wife. She feels that the percentages are unfair. Given the spirit of the original question, is the husband wrong to abide by the percentages? The husband feels that for a long time he has supported her, and now that they've decided to split their finances... she's only just realised how much he has put into the household financially and is struggling to accept it.

Deafmute

WF Veterans
Right, I proposed the math(s) to my characters wife. She feels that the percentages are unfair. Given the spirit of the original question, is the husband wrong to abide by the percentages? The husband feels that for a long time he has supported her, and now that they've decided to split their finances... she's only just realised how much he has put into the household financially and is struggling to accept it.

So at this point it occurs to me that this may be a thinly veiled account of an actual relationship as opposed to a fictional one. With that in mind I would give this advice.

Finances are the leading cause of marital issues. Splitting finances is a good way to help resolve tension when one partner feels the other is taking for granted how tight their budget is. That said taking the experiement too far is damaging as well. Income is not a valid representation of effort. In a relationship there is a great deal of work to be done that gets no pay. Caring for children, cleaning, cooking, comforting, keeping up personal appearance for their spouse etc... To say that one partner makes more money and therefore should keep more of the pooled funds is dangerous as it suggests that partner is doing more of the work. They are just doing more of the paid work, or simply have a higher education which is the moronic way we delineate income in this society.

It could be easier to split the money after bills are paid as opposed to before. Unless the issue is that one partner is generating bills (ie credit card etc...) but required bills have to be paid, rent, utilities, food, gas. Set a budget for that first then take what is left over and split it. Keeping in mind that just because one party makes more money doesn't mean that party is actually working harder.

That advice could work for a real relationship or a fictional one, in my opinion.

Riis Marshall

WF Veterans
Hello Pidgeon

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mathematic, it was singular until the late 14th Century when, sometime between then and the early 17th Century it became plural (don't ask me why. That may be the topic for another post).

So, 'maths' it is, at least for me.

And the 64% is correct according to my calculation. The formula is: % = (amount / total) x 100

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
Riis

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron

... Income is not a valid representation of effort. In a relationship there is a great deal of work to be done that gets no pay. Caring for children, cleaning, cooking, comforting, keeping up personal appearance for their spouse etc... To say that one partner makes more money and therefore should keep more of the pooled funds is dangerous as it suggests that partner is doing more of the work. They are just doing more of the paid work, or simply have a higher education which is the moronic way we delineate income in this society...
^This.

Bringing this back to your points -
...is the husband wrong to abide by the percentages? The husband feels that for a long time he has supported her...
- in all fairness, we should consider what percentages of unpaid work each has put into the home and living relationship.

If it is something like the traditional housewife also working part time, then it's likely the husband has been getting a bargain and the better end of the deal.

If it is a more enlightened shared housework arrangement, then those percentages should be factored into the final calculation.

If it is the less common househusband also working part time but receiving the higher income (due to accreditations, skills, and/or gender-biased employment), well that should be taken into account.

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
Completely irrelevant post here. Why do English folk pluralize math?

For the same reason that we pluralise mechanics. Do you people do mech then? What about robotics, eugenics, acrobatics? It's the same reason why we don't put the name of our country on our stamps, because English was our idea in the first place. Take bits of everybody else's languages and stir them all up together and call it a language. Then use it to write letters to people and stick stamps on them. That's pretty logical to me. No idea why we don't pluralise logic though ... Am I digging a hole here?

Users who are viewing this thread