Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Mask (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Mask

No one sees its cracks
no one see its pattern
of finite, spidered craze
no one sees its cost
no one sees its weight

but that perfect mask
that perfect, darling

mask

I have grown to hate

Last edited:

apple

WF Veterans
We all have masks. But maybe the mask is the soul of who we are, the best part, and it's what we THINK is underneath that we hate.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
We all have masks. But maybe the mask is the soul of who we are, the best part, and it's what we THINK is underneath that we hate.

This piece is a literal embodiment of the action that neurodivergents, (autistics in particular) have to do everyday in order to fit into society. That mask of normalcy is a burden, both physcially and mentally because everything that is normal for an autistic is atypical for the neurotypical. This piece is based on the dichotomy of my own writing styles. I have my 'normal' poetry that is a quick read and a two minute write, and then I have the Strangeways with their rhymes and patterns and chaos. The Strangeways are the unmasked side of my nature, free to be as weird and complicated as they want. It hooks into things like science, astronomy, history, literature, psychology, and other nonsense.

Pieces like the one above, those are my mask poems, the functional observation side, that has no fire or character to it. There is no voice, just a few empty words. I can name every beast of my Strangeways but ask me how many of my mask scribbles I have and I couldn't tell you the titles of five pieces. They are that transitory that most I don't have hard copies of. They are written on a whim to fulfill standized expectations of what poetry is. It is something I do just to prove to myself I can do something outside of my freaktastic menagerie. Proof that I can blend in when I need to. I am very good at making myself invisible.

I hate the mask I wear when I interact with the public, but it has be pounded into my head since childhood that you do things just this way or people will know you are a weirdo. I hide my autism, I hide my intelligence because both have a tendency to scare people. The two in tandem functions like a hammer to basic conversations.

Appreciate the read.

- D.

Last edited:

apple

WF Veterans
Darkkin, I love, admire, FEEL your Strangeways poetry. I look forward to reading them. Even though I might have to find my own way of understanding your poetry at times and I may never quite hit the mark, but, as I've said before, you seem to capture a deep feeling of truth about life and death. It feels deep and heavy but it makes me feel so fragile. Like an innocent child. Darkkin, I know I seem dramatic, and I guess I am. I'm 79 years old and as my life goes on, I look for answers that help me feel. I want to FEEL. Thank you, your beautiful writing does that for me.
Masked or unmasked you are a brilliant soul. You cannot hide that fact even if you tried. Little throw-away poems written to show how "normal" you are, still elevates my thinking. I thought my response to this poem was quite interesting and plausible. LOL Big hug...apple