Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Martin Luther King Day(USA) (2 Viewers)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Kids have the day off of school but it's not a holiday for businesses. My employer sent out a letter to all of us in remembrance of MLK and thanking us for helping people. It's a lot like any other remembrance day where some do more to remember than others, I think.

River Rose

It’s about remembrance. The the healing and words they left behind to continue their mission long after they are gone. D4E91AD7-E33C-46FB-8C46-BA678553FB9D.jpg

Llyralen

I wish there were more traditions and really just any talk about him. Because usually it’s just a day off and you might not even hear his name. I usually talk about him with my kids and listen to his “If I had sneezed/I have been to the mountaintop” speech, which is my favorite speech of all time. I also post on media and pat myself in the back for being woke.

it’s still a controversial day off to my parents. They don’t want this holiday. I don’t know what their feelings were in the 60’s and 70’s but they make sour faces when people mention MLK. And me... I’m incredibly grateful for all he stood for and all that was accomplished. America is a weird place, what can I say? If anyone can frown at the mention of MLK and if others of us feel woke but our prisons are still filled with people of racial minorities and there are babies in cages who I haven’t heard anything about for months in the media....we’ve got a long ways to go. I do think it’s all really messed up.

Last edited:

River Rose

Mostly, people share the same three or four famous quotes of his on various social media platforms and pat themselves on the back for being woke.

That is really jumping to a all around egotistical conclusion to say that ppl whom are sharing the same three or four quotes of his on social media platform are doing so to pat themselves on the back for being “woke”. Interesting how one would not look at it as sharing a inspiring message that could have a positive impact on someone’s life who will then turn around and have a positive impact an another’s life. This is how we make a step toward changing/shifting this world we live in. One positive motion forward at a time.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
local culture/history oriented eclectic theaters
show films intended to prompt discussion.
some artists, academics, students, families in attendance.

the emphasis for the day is education and active service,
acknowledging and affirming those that struggle daily
by providing supportive face to face encounters
constructed to alleviate isolating/degrading aspects
imposed by external systems
suffered by real persons within the community.

invisible and diminished persons
are embraced.

socially insulated persons
encounter personal narratives
which permit them
to better understand
how quickly
giver and gifted
roles reverse.

nah.
not everyone participates.
but many, many do.

blanket?
socks?
gift card?
help with your resume?

be well,
;)

Tiamat

Patron
That is really jumping to a all around egotistical conclusion to say that ppl whom are sharing the same three or four quotes of his on social media platform are doing so to pat themselves on the back for being “woke”. Interesting how one would not look at it as sharing a inspiring message that could have a positive impact on someone’s life who will then turn around and have a positive impact an another’s life. This is how we make a step toward changing/shifting this world we live in. One positive motion forward at a time.
All I'm saying is that my Facebook and Twitter feeds yesterday were full of his famous quotes--specifically the one you mentioned (which also made the email rounds at work), along with several references to the "I have a dream" speech. Didn't see a single reference to Dr. King's anti-capitalist quotes, of which there are many. Or any references to his condemnation of white moderates for remaining complacent and making excuses for injustice and preserving the status quo.

Maybe my observation is egotistical, and maybe your reasons for sharing the quote you chose to share were altruistic. However, the whole point of my original reply was to point out that most Americans don't actually observe MLK Day, beyond vague hand waving at a very small portion of Dr. King's legacy, and that a lot of the people--at least in my social media feeds--who shared those three or four famous quotes were also vehemently opposed to the BLM protests over the summer and think the idea of making Juneteenth a holiday is preposterous.

Llyralen

All I'm saying is that my Facebook and Twitter feeds yesterday were full of his famous quotes--specifically the one you mentioned (which also made the email rounds at work), along with several references to the "I have a dream" speech. Didn't see a single reference to Dr. King's anti-capitalist quotes, of which there are many. Or any references to his condemnation of white moderates for remaining complacent and making excuses for injustice and preserving the status quo.

Maybe my observation is egotistical, and maybe your reasons for sharing the quote you chose to share were altruistic. However, the whole point of my original reply was to point out that most Americans don't actually observe MLK Day, beyond vague hand waving at a very small portion of Dr. King's legacy, and that a lot of the people--at least in my social media feeds--who shared those three or four famous quotes were also vehemently opposed to the BLM protests over the summer and think the idea of making Juneteenth a holiday is preposterous.

This is why I quoted what you said as true, because it feels like we are pretending that we’ve arrived when we are still so broken and also because it feels to me like I’m not doing anything to improve things except living my life trying to do what’s right when I can... but being horrified by what happened to George Floyd and actually trying to fight against the widespread racism that we are still dealing with are two different things and I am aware of how different they are. That’s where the jaded and helpless tone come frkm, is the gap between the ideals and the reality.