Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

March 2015 - LM - Re-imagined Fairy Tale SCORES (1 Viewer)

W.Goepner

WF Veterans
Well I think the discussion has ended.

You know, I find it humorous that I can discuss an issue about writing, but cannot execute it as well as I understand it. Sort of like my bowling, at an early age I was taught how to bowl. I know and understand the dynamics as well as the fundamentals, But to execute them is a different story.

Go figure.

shinyford

Not ended (nor a debate, apparently) - it just took me a while to get back. :)

No problem on the debate. I never realized it as a debate but more of an understanding.

Not all words which a writer creates are in need of a definition, sometimes I do feel where it is necessary to give a person reading, a clarification of the word necessary, especially in a judging situation.

Like your word, miffment; meaning, aggravated confusion or agitated mystery, (as I read it) or even a combination there of. Sometimes we have difficulties expressing our selves and these words fit the situations very well. Like miffed is a word recognized by the spell checker, miffed meaning to be upset, or frustrated. So "a constant state of miffment" would be correct.

I recall,(very clearly) my feelings of frustration trying to explain to my father my feelings. It was especially difficult when he was not willing to listen. Which was most of the time. I try to listen no matter what to the younger peoples because of my experience, even though I have no children. One should never have to feel they are not worthy of speaking or being listened to.

Totally agree.

BTW I think your interpretation of 'miffment' (which I should probably not have made up and used, given the conversation at hand) ties with mine: mild annoyance.

I think that I agree with your idea that one should give a definition to a reader too, where it's needed - although I wouldn't say 'a judging situation' was a special case. So far as I am concerned, I write these stories just to be read - and that's what I want judged. I don't want to give the judges any special reading favours, as it were.

W.Goepner

WF Veterans
Not ended (nor a debate, apparently) - it just took me a while to get back. :)

Totally agree.

BTW I think your interpretation of 'miffment' (which I should probably not have made up and used, given the conversation at hand) ties with mine: mild annoyance.

I think that I agree with your idea that one should give a definition to a reader too, where it's needed - although I wouldn't say 'a judging situation' was a special case. So far as I am concerned, I write these stories just to be read - and that's what I want judged. I don't want to give the judges any special reading favours, as it were.

How about that! I have not managed to annoy someone, and we agree on things also.

Actually, miffment would be a accurate conjunction. Seeing miff is an appropriate word, then miffment would be an accurate state of being. When we use words of appropriate vernacular origins, then apply a sub to it giving it a feeling or enhancement which is accurate. Like I wanted to use "vernaculararity" meaning the same as "vernacular origins". The same as you did with "miff" and "miffment" The only inappropriate thing about them, they are not regular words, not regular enough to be placed in the standard dictionary anyways. These writer prerogatives are established, though not always recognized. The understanding of these words are the readers prerogative to interpret as they would understand it.

As to judges being given special considerations? I think it would depend on how well the writer wishes to score in the originality portion of their entry. I feel, if a definition of a questionable word, might give me the point or two I desire, Darn tootin' I will add it. Of course, it would be up to the judge to accept that definition as adequate. Though some might simply disagree with the concept of self styled words and deduct for them anyway.

I also agree, I want my writing to be read. I would like it judged for its readability, its shock and awe (when appropriate) or its sweetness if ever I can achieve it. As to giving a judge special favors, like I said, if it keeps a point or two from being taken away. Why not? Don't get me wrong I enter these things for the growth of my writing abilities and to keep my mind active, but I would be lying if I said I did not wish to win one. To win would mean I either achieved a pinnacle or was only the best of the worst.

-edit-

If your use of miffment were inappropriate I would agree it not being used, but it fit well within the conversation. I give it an "A", I think it needs to be a permanent addition to the dictionary system.

BurntMason84

Sorry, a bit off the cuff and belated, but just wanted to say thanks to the judges for March! Appreciated the critiques and enjoyed the competition. Totally will not try to make slime ball characters named after the judges (Guy) next time too, lessons learned. o_O

Users who are viewing this thread