Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Making a Writer's Life and Writer's Personae (1 Viewer)

BabesJJ

I read a book by Caroline See called "Making a Literary Life". She has a Masters in Creative Writing. For me anyway I don't know if I want to achieve a literary Life. I do want to achieve a writer's life. What I like about the book is that it is about making your interior life your exterior life. She comments on things like how she was her own first publicist. Hire a personal assistant even if you can't afford it or need one. What I liked best about book was her husband was dying and she was taking care of him during the writing of the book, I think. And how writers got fitted for their parts. For example one writer wore a trench coat. And she said he had to go someplace and get fitted. In other words he had to go and have that get up made for himself it just didn't happen. She talked about who do we think we are saying we are writers? And how to over come that voice.

For me I am trying to write everyday. I aim for mornings but that doesn't always happen. I don't have a set amount. Although I have a general goal of 2 pages. And some revisions. Caroline had a rule no more than 2 hours of revisions a day. She though at some point it became counter productive. And she also mentioned find support. And honestly giving support. In this age of Covid-19 almost everything is online. So for support I found this site. And I appreciate the writers here. So part of a writers life is to give support and accept support. I naturally love to read and I have the New Yorker. I usually carry one in my purse and have one in the bathroom and one by the side table at the front door. As I like my husband and son to see the pretty covers, the yare are art. Although the one in the living room on the side table are mostly for show and I never read the ones there. I put the finished ones there.

My goals is to write everyday except Sunday. As I do a lot of cooking on Sunday. We don't cook on Saturday and have a system of salads and pizza for when we don't cook a day. I could write on Saturday is my point. So in general I guess I take the weekend off. I know some writers have various schemes and regiments to complete their writing. I guess this could tie into many topics including: when did you know you were a writer or want to be one. I also wonder what kind of writers image I want to give. I don't consider myself a literary giant who is going for all those prestigious prizes. I don't have a degree from Harvard and am hawking my book on Paris. I guess I am a garden variety writers who is trying to create my own writer's life and more importantly writer's personae.

I guess I am thinking of what I want to project as a writer. I have watched some writer's interviews, well one someone put up on this site. And some commentary by Margaret Atwood on face book. The interview by a woman magical realism writer it sounded very goofy and charming and very serious as she was also a creative writing teacher. Margaret Atwood has a masters in English from Harvard and dropped out of her PhD and comes across as unsmiling and a bit stern. So I am thinking of my writers personae. And how I want to create a overall writer's life and am endlessly curious how other writers are doing this in their writer's lives. A writer drunk like Walter Tevis who wrote the Queens Gambit and other books and died in 1986. A rather severe Harvard writers, a goofy lovable full of ideas person like the lady in the interview I saw.

Very interesting making a writer's life and developing my own writer's personae that I show the world. My interior becoming my exterior.

ritudimrinautiyal

Yeah, it was like taking a different turn at crossroads. I used to write poetry as hobby in my schools days, then after a long span of twenty seven years, I bringout those old shoes to try again, and yeah I started enjoying again, walking with those shoes on. And of course nothing goes with smooth flow without priority setting and punctuality. And for one thing to get better, some other thing always has to suffer even if it is just a bit. And staying all dedicated for my home to stay running for last twenty years, it quite required to turn my eyes blind to certain things, to become a bit of easygoing one ( after staying a freak for certain things for pretty twenty years). That was initially quite a struggle, then get used to it. Although I am not a writer, just writing only, still learning to write (I haven't sent anything to get published so far), but yeah I too want to feel how my persona develops here, with all expressing and writing.

I just loved your feelings and thoughts you expressed here Babes J J.

Keep writing.
Ritu

BabesJJ

Ritu, I am in your same situation. GO Ritu! I like you, am renewing an old part of myself. I was saw a wonderful interview TMA had put up (I can't find were I saw the interview on the site). It was this totally adorable woman writer and I loved her dress and her lovable writer's personae. And it got me thinking of how did I want my writers life to look or be organized, and the writer's personae to look like. It is the end of the sales in France. The last day is February 16th. And watching the interview that TMA had nicely posted I wanted a nice writer's personae as well. The combination of the two things, first seeing the writers interview and second looking at spring clothes got me thinking. And I saw this great ruffled nylon pink dress that no normal person has a reason to wear anywhere. I liked the dress. It spoke to me. So it made me think if I could create a writers personae from the ground up it would be a combination of the good witch of the north from the Wizard of Oz and Jerry Hall my favorite writer Maya Angelou and a solitary Mermaid. Keeping in mind that I would like to be a witch that looks like Jerry Hall essentially. I will get the nylon ruffled sleeveless pink spring dress and sit one day writing in it trying out my new writers personae. As Caroline See says one must go get fitted for the dress. Or go out and purposely find our get-up. Thanks for the support. I personally don't think one has to be famous to be a writer. And you can live a writers life in total obscurity.

The important thing (the big fish the big work) is to make our insides look like our outsides. Our interiors look like our exteriors.

So for today I am trying for a Glenda the Good Witch of the North and Jerry Hall with a dash of May Angelou and a Mermaid look.

BabesJJ

So now that I am developing a writer's life and a writer personae. Or a writer's personality. I went online with the sales in France and got 4 great pieces so I can wear clothes that I want to look like while writing. I swear this is about writing. My schtick. So I got a pink ruffled nylon dress that is not useful to wear anyplace. A black wrap dress with tiny white swiss dots and a white cotton blouse long sleeved with scrunchie small ruffles, and a small flowered loose peasant blouse all for 40 euro including delivery. And while I am writing my novel I am going to do it with a bit of glamour and get a bit dressed up everyday. In my old hometown there was a woman who would pose with a fake stuffed animal furr coat and a cigar type cigarette for her gossip column. She ultimately got sued and fired but while she was writing I liked her style. She was pretty funny. I am going for more a Jerry Hall look in her 60's. Happy to be a writer today.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
That's a great strategy to establish your personae. Clothing says so much about how we are feeling inside. Anything that gets us there writing is good. I haven't really thought much about a writing personae. I was an accountant, I spent a lot of time sitting at a computer writing, not much change in setting, so basically status quo. But I've noticed people respond differently when I tell them I'm writing a novel. That's when I see my personae being reflected back at me.

But when I first got started it was hard to believe myself that I would complete a work of fiction. So I guess I do this for my presonae. I bought a small three ring binder the size of a novel. As I go, I print out chapters of my novel and place them in the binder. I covered the binder with a glossy mockup cover, that has a synopsis and authors bio on the back. So I can actually hold it in my hand. As it fills up it makes it feel more real. But I still struggle on days like today and I can't get into the writer's mind. Hence my many posts here today...

But I have been enjoying your contributions to WF. Lots of flavour and colour. Even online you have a strong writer's personae. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Somewhere and somewhen I read or heard someone say that, 'no matter how fast we go we can never outrun ourselves'.

I believe this is true. My writing is from my perspective, which comes from my persona. To pretend is to lie, and the best writing tells the truth (even in fiction).

In collage I had a professor whose mantra was, 'just tell the fuckin' truth'. I try to use that bit of wisdom when I write.

As a person, I'm many things: a husband, father, martial artist, author, biker. and retired engineer. Those are just labels though. I am simply myself.

Work ethic was mentioned earlier. I write almost every afternoon. 'We are what we repeatedly do...' as the saying goes.

BabesJJ

Indianroads, I am from Wisconsin born and raised and just recently moved back to France after living their again awhile. There are a lot of bikers in Wisconsin. My cousin is a big biker dude and ran around with a biker gang for years. They are all getting older now, we all are. Yes, I agree that we become who we are or the truth at some point. I guess it brings me to the question what is a writers personae or a biker personae or a professional personae of any kind really?

For now I am trying to develop a writers personae. One nice thing about getting older is that I appreciate things more. Our son who is 14 is off these next 2 weeks from school and I am really looking forward to it. I would like to write in the morning as is my general plan but we cooked all day and the kitchen is a mess. And likely it will take me the entire morning to get things back in order around here. Plus I am tutoring our kid in Algebra everyday and need to plan a lesson.

I will write some in the late morning is my guess. I want to make this fun have a writers personae. Might as well be a bit eccentric if I am going to do this thing right. Even loopy. If I ever can find a feather boa like Ginger Grant I will get one.
And wear it while writing. There is no law against it.

During Art School I took Creative Writing and Screen Writing many years ago. I loved our Creative Writing class. We became friends it was a wonderful experience. I remember we had a party were we all brought old fashioned unhealthy food like jello and baloney sandwiches on white bread. I also had fun in the screen writing class the guy that taught it did the screen play for Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. He loved westerns. He was cool he had us get into first scenes of movies. That drew the viewer in. He loved the movie Tender Mercies. I took those classes so for granted and would be thrilled to be able to take classes like that again but likely won't be able to do that.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Indianroads, I am from Wisconsin born and raised and just recently moved back to France after living their again awhile. There are a lot of bikers in Wisconsin. My cousin is a big biker dude and ran around with a biker gang for years. They are all getting older now, we all are. Yes, I agree that we become who we are or the truth at some point. I guess it brings me to the question what is a writers personae or a biker personae or a professional personae of any kind really?

For now I am trying to develop a writers personae. One nice thing about getting older is that I appreciate things more. Our son who is 14 is off these next 2 weeks from school and I am really looking forward to it. I would like to write in the morning as is my general plan but we cooked all day and the kitchen is a mess. And likely it will take me the entire morning to get things back in order around here. Plus I am tutoring our kid in Algebra everyday and need to plan a lesson.

I will write some in the late morning is my guess. I want to make this fun have a writers personae. Might as well be a bit eccentric if I am going to do this thing right. Even loopy. If I ever can find a feather boa like Ginger Grant I will get one.
And wear it while writing. There is no law against it.

During Art School I took Creative Writing and Screen Writing many years ago. I loved our Creative Writing class. We became friends it was a wonderful experience. I remember we had a party were we all brought old fashioned unhealthy food like jello and baloney sandwiches on white bread. I also had fun in the screen writing class the guy that taught it did the screen play for Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. He loved westerns. He was cool he had us get into first scenes of movies. That drew the viewer in. He loved the movie Tender Mercies. I took those classes so for granted and would be thrilled to be able to take classes like that again but likely won't be able to do that.

It seems to me that you already have your author personae locked in. Be your eccentric self and have fun with it!

I've always been a story teller - even in kindergarten, when show & tell came around I'd stand up and tell a story. The kids and teacher loved it. I suppose that's my author personae.

That said though - I teach martial arts during the morning, three days a week. Guess what, I tell stories as I teach - because that's a method of instruction and it makes students relax and have a good time... and when that happens they learn more. So I guess the story teller is also my martial art personae.

When I ride (I was an associate of the Hells Angels at one time), can you guess what we do when we hang out together. Yup. Tell stories.

As Popeye used to say, I am what I am and that's all that I am.

luckyscars

WF Veterans
I guess I am thinking of what I want to project as a writer. I have watched some writer's interviews, well one someone put up on this site. And some commentary by Margaret Atwood on face book. The interview by a woman magical realism writer it sounded very goofy and charming and very serious as she was also a creative writing teacher. Margaret Atwood has a masters in English from Harvard and dropped out of her PhD and comes across as unsmiling and a bit stern. So I am thinking of my writers personae. And how I want to create a overall writer's life and am endlessly curious how other writers are doing this in their writer's lives. A writer drunk like Walter Tevis who wrote the Queens Gambit and other books and died in 1986. A rather severe Harvard writers, a goofy lovable full of ideas person like the lady in the interview I saw.

Very interesting making a writer's life and developing my own writer's personae that I show the world. My interior becoming my exterior.

This reminds me of the Hemingway quote "a writer must write what he has to say, not speak it". I genuinely don't grasp the idea of a 'writers personae' and I struggle to understand how it might help with the substance. A confidence boost maybe? Maybe. But then, if you spend time cultivating a 'writer personae' (as opposed to your own personality) then isn't that putting yourself under some sort of pressure?

The nearest I ever got to this was buying myself a nice desk 'to write on' (as opposed to the crappy, second-hand desk I was using before). I moved it into a spare room and designed my 'writing room' around it, in quite painstaking detail. And you know what? It didn't do a damn thing. If anything, my output dropped because I had overlooked that writing is simple self-expression and that there is very little, almost nothing, you can do 'outwardly' to make it better 'inwardly'. You can get the best computer you want, have fifty screens surrounding your head, sit on an ergonomic chair in writerly tweeds with noise-canceling headphones and a pack of Camels...whatever you want. I don't think this stuff helps. If anything, I find it distracting. If it helps you, great. It has never helped me.

Stephen King has a good quote on this: "Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around."

BabesJJ

Taylor, Taking yourself seriously as a writer is also a writer's personae is my thought. So you made some sort of symbol by getting a serious desk for yourself.

The lady in my old home town who was a local gossip columnist. Until she got sued and fired for saying terrible things about everyone in town. I enjoyed it tremendously while it lasted. Anyway, she used to wear a big fake fur coat ant held a small cigarette style cigar between her fingers with a mean look on her face. It was hilarious. I don't think I can channel Cruella DeVille like that writer but it was fun to see from the outside.

Llyralen, Most people like Willie Wonka. I think that the character Charlie was very sympathetic. I have a weird dislike or Roahl Dahl or and I don't want to hurt your feelings by going into it. I will forever keep my lips sealed on this topic.

Luckyscares please it's an image, Hemmingway had one of the biggest schwashbuckling manly man personae of all time. Think Hemmingway think big game, Cuba, rich wives, alcoholism, suicide, pretty actress nieces Murial and Margot flitting about in past movies.

In general, This is where I wish I was an expert on Chaucer or had a Masters in Creative Writing from a famous school. And I could run with the wolves of the intellectual elite. And although I have an art degree and a masters I didn't clever-up about myself wanting to write during my educational heyday. Although if given the chance i would gladly get a masters in creative writing at this point.

Stephen King personae to me is a prolific wealthy beyond anyone's wildest dreams but seems to have a big chip on his shoulder that academia has pretty much shunned him. It seem to piss him off.

Emily Dickenson, the New England spinster with time to write. Writing words like tomb and truth.

I guess I could google the definition of personae? And for me making a writers life becoming a writing personality is part of it.

edited to add hi to Indianroads. also in my next life I want to be a person who 1. either does not use the word schwashbuckling, is high minded enough to google schwashbuckling for spelling if I use it. 3. is not going to obsessively think about the word schwashbuckling all day now and different ways to use it.

A persona (plural personae or personas), depending to the context, can refer to either the public image of one's personality, or the social role that one adopts, or a fictional character. The word derives from Latin, where it originally referred to a theatrical mask.

Last edited:

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I read a book by Caroline See called "Making a Literary Life". She has a Masters in Creative Writing. For me anyway I don't know if I want to achieve a literary Life. I do want to achieve a writer's life. What I like about the book is that it is about making your interior life your exterior life. She comments on things like how she was her own first publicist. Hire a personal assistant even if you can't afford it or need one. What I liked best about book was her husband was dying and she was taking care of him during the writing of the book, I think. And how writers got fitted for their parts. For example one writer wore a trench coat. And she said he had to go someplace and get fitted. In other words he had to go and have that get up made for himself it just didn't happen. She talked about who do we think we are saying we are writers? And how to over come that voice.

For me I am trying to write everyday. I aim for mornings but that doesn't always happen. I don't have a set amount. Although I have a general goal of 2 pages. And some revisions. Caroline had a rule no more than 2 hours of revisions a day. She though at some point it became counter productive. And she also mentioned find support. And honestly giving support. In this age of Covid-19 almost everything is online. So for support I found this site. And I appreciate the writers here. So part of a writers life is to give support and accept support. I naturally love to read and I have the New Yorker. I usually carry one in my purse and have one in the bathroom and one by the side table at the front door. As I like my husband and son to see the pretty covers, the yare are art. Although the one in the living room on the side table are mostly for show and I never read the ones there. I put the finished ones there.

My goals is to write everyday except Sunday. As I do a lot of cooking on Sunday. We don't cook on Saturday and have a system of salads and pizza for when we don't cook a day. I could write on Saturday is my point. So in general I guess I take the weekend off. I know some writers have various schemes and regiments to complete their writing. I guess this could tie into many topics including: when did you know you were a writer or want to be one. I also wonder what kind of writers image I want to give. I don't consider myself a literary giant who is going for all those prestigious prizes. I don't have a degree from Harvard and am hawking my book on Paris. I guess I am a garden variety writers who is trying to create my own writer's life and more importantly writer's personae.

I also desire to move into a drafty garrett in Paris and write in the rain. My landlady, Mme. Fleche - as in arrow, as in arrow straight to my bankbook - will be a cantankerous old boot who always demands rent, even when it's obvious I can't afford it, which will be ten months out of twelve. The remaining small monies I do possess will come from my father, who believes I am a young professor at the Sorbonne because that's the lie I told him. He thinks the money is for medical equipment for my undergraduates. It isn't. Most of it goes on Mont Blanc pens and opium.

I will develope (<-see, French creeping in) a monster absinthe habit. Les gendarmes will find me collapsed outside Le Moulin Rouge babbling of "green fairies and such" and will try to take me in, but the beautiful people will stop them because they believe I am creating and they fear to disrupt my masterpiece. They shall riot in my name.

I too will develop a system of salades; I will never not use serifs.

I might adopt "Drafty" Garrett as a nom de plume. My largely fictitious backstory will involve a campaign during my time as legionnaire, from whom I am on the run. I often lament and howl about how they will surely one day shoot me on sight.

BabesJJ

bdcharles, that is HILARIOUS. In the book by Caroline See she mentions a guy like you in her book. The man is sitting at the window he is writing about the beautiful scene below, the women are well dressed and interesting, and suddenly he writes, "DAMN DAMN DAMN I HATE THAT BITCH or THAT BITCH IS KILLING ME". referring to his wife. So write what is in your head and gets to you seemed to be Caroline's advise. then she went on and on about some fight she had with a janitor at her university or parking attendant or something. Sorry in advance for saying damn damn damn and bitch I am paraphrasing Caroline See, who had total disdain for Paris and Paris lovers in her book. All this talk about Caroline See is making me want to read her book again. it might be in the basement somewhere JC saves everything. And our basement is as big as the entire house. I am quite afraid of it.

I live in a 6 bedroom old farmhouse in France that is actually cut in half was owned by 2 brothers who fight and don't like each other. It takes up an entire block. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen the warmest room. At least 2 times a day I scream "I'M COLD". We got it for nothing because it is broken down and has old everything. And the old couple seem to love my husband. We are happy here. We are so proud of our son for adapting to French school after being gone so long although he was born here and went to school here for many years. I am in the middle of freakin nowhere. Although I did live in a cool apartment for a year in the Marais one of the fanciest neighborhoods in Paris before I met my husband. I should have made a criteria for marrying a French man is that he loves Paris. My husband doesn't like big cities.

My personae today is Jerry Hall in her 60's and a solitary mermaid occasionally screaming "I'm cold".

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I live in a 6 bedroom old farmhouse in France that is actually cut in half was owned by 2 brothers who fight and don't like each other. It takes up an entire block. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen the warmest room. At least 2 times a day I scream "I'M COLD". We got it for nothing because it is broken down and has old everything. And the old couple seem to love my husband. We are happy here. We are so proud of our son for adapting to French school after being gone so long although he was born here and went to school here for many years. I am in the middle of freakin nowhere. Although I did live in a cool apartment for a year in the Marais one of the fanciest neighborhoods in Paris before I met my husband. I should have made a criteria for marrying a French man is that he loves Paris. My husband doesn't like big cities.

You are living the dream!

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Writing is one of those occupations where to travel hopefully is, in general, not better than to arrive; having a destination in is very useful unless one is writing in "Stream of consciousness" mode.

BabesJJ

bdcharlies, that is sweet of you to think I am living the dream. I am very sanguine about my THIRD re-patriation to France from the USA mid west. Although I lived most of my life in New Mexico. I was born in the mid west and lived there until I was a teen. I lived 1 year in the Paris you envision 2002-2003 and then 10 years in a suburb and now we are back after being in the USA for a while. We went back altogether to the USA and then my husband who does pipes for the oil industry on computers and then inspects installation etc. started working short jobs all over the world. So it made sense for us to stay in the USA instead of being in France by ourselves. Meanwhile our son became truly bilingual and learned English and went to middle school there and now understands American education and habits. Now my husband is retired and he wants to live here. After living here for that 10 years I have no fantasy about France. And see pluses and minuses to both countries. I AM OVER PARIS. If I could live anyplace it would be in southern Europe not necessarily France, just anyplace south, complaining with a bunch of ex-pat retirees. I don't think we can die here there are too many steps.

I always imagine myself in some French nursing home ordering my old lady underwear with my cell phone to be delivered.

Taylor, I am reading the Queen's Gambit and am just thrilled with how he transitions paragraphs. Walter Tevis is like a genius at transitions of everything. I wish I was Walter Tevis today. If I could pick a writing personae each day it would be Walter Tevis today.

Lyeralen, What is your writers personae? Intellectual with big dark framed glasses and a research clip board? Creative Anacherism sp attendee?

Swashbuckling yours, BabesJJ

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Long before I started writing poetry I daydreamed of owning an Australian drover's coat; you know, the ones that almost reached the ground, with the long slit up the back so that when so that one could mounting your steed the coat would still cover your legs and keep them warm and dry. Needless to say, it would be surmounted by one of those wide brimmed hats, sans corks, to keep both rain and sun out of your eyes. Of course, a pair of long leather boots would be required to complete the ensemble. Imagine, in a village, being the notoriuos local poet striding the high street on the way to regale the locals with tales of daring do in the local pub - Nah! Too pretentious by half.

My problem is that I've never taken myself seriously and never intend to, so impecuniousness is my only poetic trait...

BabesJJ

Long before I started writing poetry I daydreamed of owning an Australian drover's coat; you know, the ones that almost reached the ground, with the long slit up the back so that when so that one could mounting your steed the coat would still cover your legs and keep them warm and dry. Needless to say, it would be surmounted by one of those wide brimmed hats, sans corks, to keep both rain and sun out of your eyes. Of course, a pair of long leather boots would be required to complete the ensemble. Imagine, in a village, being the notoriuos local poet striding the high street on the way to regale the locals with tales of daring do in the local pub - Nah! Too pretentious by half.

My problem is that I've never taken myself seriously and never intend to, so impecuniousness is my only poetic trait...

By jove I think you've got it Bloggsworth!

Doesn't by jove I think you've got it see like the perfect thing to say to someone named Bloggsworth.

From a freezing house in the middle of nowhere having only screamed "I am cold" one time so far today. I copied and pasted this line just because I like it. "I always imagine myself in some French nursing home ordering my old lady underwear with my cell phone to be delivered."

And adding that honestly I am going to try and dress up everyday and write. The dressed up part is my writer's personae. Although I was thinking that it is a bit like dressing up in your Sunday clothes with no where to go. Oh, and it is so cold in this giant house and the only warm
room is the kitchen, that if I wear a dress I will wear yoga pants under my dress.

BabesJJ

Last edited:

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
I have a pair of long-johns under my jogging bottoms, tee-shirt, shirt, pullover and smoking jacket... no, nix the smoking jacket, just a serge workman's jacket from Aldi - £5, good value. My daughter did buy me one of those Russian tank commanders furry hats when I went bald during chemo, but after two bouts of locks-down, my hair is now longer than it ever was in the 60s and keeps me warm enough!

BabesJJ

I have a pair of long-johns under my jogging bottoms, tee-shirt, shirt, pullover and smoking jacket... no, nix the smoking jacket, just a serge workman's jacket from Aldi - £5, good value. My daughter did buy me one of those Russian tank commanders furry hats when I went bald during chemo, but after two bouts of locks-down, my hair is now longer than it ever was in the 60s and keeps me warm enough!

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE UNTOWARDS mentioning the writers dress up clothes. For some reason when you described your fantasy poets clothes it made me think of my ex-husband of many years ago. We married after university and he was an English Major and me an Art major and both looked at each other and said GAWD WE NEED JOB SKILLS. Anyway we divorced and have been divorced over 25 years. He loved fantasy writing and medieval themes. Sounds great about the fun hat and that your hair grew back.

And my ex-husband died last month so I have a kind spot to eccentric poets. He actually was a big fat hippie. I am mourning him in odd spots. I thought I owed a large fee and it seems I don't owe it until next year this time. Good so I can buy more dress up clothes to write in. I can buy 2 more sale dresses. And in our freezing house I will wear my dresses with yoga pants. My best writing days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Although I am writing every morning and taking weekends off.
So my friends are laughing at me sitting here in this giant falling down house all dressed up screaming I am cold once in a while. The call it my Sunday clothes.

Good night getting late this part of the world

edited to add that I want to emphasize that I am in a falling down giant house and it seems to life my spirits and get me in a writers mode to dress the writers part. Although I get all dressed up and its such a giant cold house except the kitchen I wear yoga pants under my dress clothes. I enjoy planning my outfits out. And am realizing some points of my book as well in this. Not anything related to writing personae per se. I realized that my fiction novel Unspoken Mermaid has a quality which reminds me of a book I read once called "The Secret Lives of Bees". I am going to get this book. I write in the kitchen because it is the warmest room in the house. It is a large 6 seated kitchen table. All dressed up at my kitchen table.

Oh Bloggsworth you mentioned your personae and a recent recovery of your hair. Which I was happy to hear. it got me thinking of my hair. As part of my writers personae is Jerry Hall at 60. As I am a bit younger but not as pretty. Who is? Although I have long blond hair to my waist and dye it dark blond. I have a big head and lots of hair for my age. And if I was rich I would get it dark on the bottom and light on the top with a big pink streak. Although all I can afford is regular dark blond. Nobody in my family is allowed to touch it and its often a mess.

As my husband and kid bother me by pulling braid when they walk by or my kid wants to brush it which always involves pain as he is not a professional hairstylist. I scream when they walk by me worried about my hair in addition to screaming about how cold it is .Anyway enough being tangential on personae. And it can mean dark things a persona. For instance the wolf had a dark heart. While pretending to be a nice grandmother.

Oh personae is plural for persona.

personae Jerry Hall at 60 and solitary mermaid.

Last edited: